inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the 1950s culturally end

Written By: d90 on 09/11/17 at 9:22 pm

Do you think it ended with the assassination of John F Kennedy in 1963 or the Beatles becoming popular in 1964?

Subject: Re: When did the 1950s culturally end

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 9:34 pm

The assassination of JFK in 1963 started the end of the cultural '50s but the cultural '50s COMPLETELY ended in 1965.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/17 at 9:57 pm

Do you think it ended with the assassination of John F Kennedy in 1963 or the Beatles becoming popular in 1964?

Actually, the answer is BOTH. It's not like a cultural decade changes in a split second, even with a defining event like the assassination of JFK. I always say the cultural 60s began with the axis of the JFK assassination in November 1963 and the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in February 1964. It was a perfect storm. But, as has been pointed out, the remnant vapors of the 50s hung on a bit longer, but they didn't stand a chance with the mighty wind of 60s momentum and quickly evaporated.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 09/11/17 at 11:51 pm

Contrary to popular opinion, I'd say they ended in the summer of 1965. I made a thread about it before; http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55782.0

P.S. The Beatles actually started to get popular in 1963, in Europe, it's just they didn't conquere America until the following year.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 10:15 am

There's no cut and dry line. In truth, the more I grow up the more I realize that there's no such thing as,"Everything started on March 21, 1954," or whatever.

To be brutally honest, some pictures from 1965 still looked like they belong in the 1950's.

However, thick, huge, lines are great ways to simplify anything. The cultural 60's ended the first few seconds before the Beatles in February of 1964.

Written By: wixness on 08/15/19 at 12:34 pm

It's mostly ended in the West I believe since the 1990s came; the 80s had a huge wave of nostalgia for the 50s I believe with social conservatives reigning supreme then (religious fundamentalism reigned supreme with the AIDS crisis), with the 90s and multiculturalism, hip-hop and feminism I think bringing it to a close. But I believe it may be coming back in the 2020s owing to how influential social conservatives are becoming (e.g. abortion bans, violence against LGBT+ individuals, violence against religious and ethnic minorities, violence committed in the name of religion and/or racism). I think 50s culture could have ended since the 60s or 70s, but there were large enough vocal minorities of 50s culture.

In other countries outside the West, they're still there, catching up, or returning to it far sooner. Russia almost returned to it this decade, considering their revision of domestic abuse laws and their treatment of LGBT+ individuals. Saudi Arabia may be stepping out of it but are still very much there - I don't think letting women drive was ever illegal in 1950s America, but it may have been strongly discouraged nonetheless.

Check for new replies or respond here...