inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Lost Generation/Greatest Generation cusp

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/17 at 8:31 pm

I'm mainly talking about people born in the very early 1900s thinking 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903ish. How would you describe this group?. These are the people that were generally too young to be WWI soldiers like the Lost Generation people but a bit too old to be WWII soldiers. They were generally too young still though to be world leaders during WWII, yet too old to be young soldiers like the typical Greatest Generation people. It's kinda interesting to think about this group actually.

Subject: Re: The Lost Generation/Greatest Generation cusp

Written By: 2001 on 10/12/17 at 9:21 pm

I think my great granddad was born around that time or in the 1890s, and he was in the air force. Actually, I'm not sure exactly when he was born. I'll have to ask my dad.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/12/17 at 9:24 pm

I've personally never met anyone who was born around the turn of the 20th Century. The oldest people I have ever met are my Great Grandparents, who were both born in 1924. They have both passed away unfortunately. :(

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/17 at 9:29 pm

I've personally never met anyone who was born around the turn of the 20th Century. The oldest people I have ever met are my Great Grandparents, who were both born in 1924. They have both passed away unfortunately. :(

My grandparents were born in 1917 and 1918 and I know they are members of the Greatest Generation. They are all dead now unfortunately. I do consider people born in like 1902 or something a different sort of generation from them, but people born in 1902 would also be different from Lost Generation people born in 1890 or something. I know essentially nobody from the 1900-1902/1903 born crowd is alive anymore, but it still is fascinating to think about.  :-\\

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 10/13/17 at 5:39 am

America was barely involved in WWI, so I don't really think they can count as being part of "The Lost Generation".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/17 at 6:15 am

America was barely involved in WWI, so I don't really think they can count as being part of "The Lost Generation".
Many lives were lost in the 1918 flu pandemic, more than the casualties of WW1. I am not sure on how many in the USA.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/17 at 6:58 am

I have a Grandmother and right now she is the only one alive, she was born in 1917 and she will be 100 years old next month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/17 at 7:13 am

I have a Grandmother and right now she is the only one alive, she was born in 1917 and she will be 100 years old next month.
Of course, you mean she is the only of the age in your immediate family, not that she is is the only person still alive from 1917?

Written By: Howard on 10/13/17 at 8:20 am

Of course, you mean she is the only of the age in your immediate family, not that she is is the only person still alive from 1917?

Yes, I meant the only one of age in my immediate family.

Written By: d90 on 10/13/17 at 2:16 pm

My grandparents were born in 1917 and 1918 and I know they are members of the Greatest Generation. They are all dead now unfortunately. I do consider people born in like 1902 or something a different sort of generation from them, but people born in 1902 would also be different from Lost Generation people born in 1890 or something. I know essentially nobody from the 1900-1902/1903 born crowd is alive anymore, but it still is fascinating to think about.  :-\\
as of October 14 2017 wikipedia says there are 4 people born between 1900 and 1902 that are still alive. Nabi Taijima who was born August 4 1900 is now the oldest living person alive.

Written By: d90 on 10/13/17 at 2:40 pm

I'm mainly talking about people born in the very early 1900s thinking 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903ish. How would you describe this group?. These are the people that were generally too young to be WWI soldiers like the Lost Generation people but a bit too old to be WWII soldiers. They were generally too young still though to be world leaders during WWII, yet too old to be young soldiers like the typical Greatest Generation people. It's kinda interesting to think about this group actually.
what I think is also interesting about the 1900-1903 borns is that in countries that ended their monarchies like the Russia, Germany, Austria - Hungary and the Ottoman Empire they were the group who were coming of age.

Check for new replies or respond here...