inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1940s are underrated

Written By: christopher on 01/06/18 at 4:13 am

I know musicals don't show the real life but wow. To see something like this today would cost a lot:

61cY1ILv60k
_lFTb050zq8

I am not a musical fan, but some of them just put me in a good mood for whatever reason. It was a hard era, so people needed escapism I guess. But why don't we have escapism entertainment today? Last escapist pop music I remember was from 2012-2013, since 2014 music is darker.

Also I don't know why but I prefer the big band music of the 40s and early 50s to late 50s rock, although I do like some 50s rock. I think the 40s are underrated when it comes to entertainment like music and movies. Due to the war many people don't give credit to the Greatest generation for the fun stuff they produced. I love how women had mostly longer hair in the 40s, not fan of the shorter-hair look of the 50s where they started looking more matronly. Gloria DeHaven looked better in the 40s with longer hair, once she went short in the 50s she started looking much older. I think Marilyn and a few others were those that could rock the shorter hair look, on others it made them older.

Subject: Re: The 1940s are underrated

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/18 at 9:45 am

I think people were too worried about the war in the first half of the 40's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/09/18 at 11:57 am

Especially the music of the second half of the decade, and Big Band's peak was more like 1935-1945, so its a '30s and '40s style. If anything, I find the political history to be overrated with truckloads of books about you know what, and even the origins of the Cold War. The 1920s and 1950s meanwhile seem to be underrated in the history department.

The 1940s (along with the 1930s) were once the most romanticized decade for Hollywood (especially during peak nostalgic interest during the New Hollywood era right into the '90s), but of course younger generations find this era to be too vintage to care about (they see the 1960s or 1970s as far back as they would like to go). Nobody wants to sit through MGM musicals, black & white films, old westerns. But they were high quality entertainment and should be treated as "art" just like painting and sculpture is, not to mention a social mantra that's foreign to contemporary audiences with regards to the slang, fashion, and social customs (debutante balls, "swell", gay meaning good, more strict religious rules and courtesy to others). I think that it is one of the best decades ever for fashion, a middle ground between the ultra-formal thirties and the more plaid fifties (the bikini was invented then as well). Architecture was transitioning into a sleek mid-century modern style with lots of imagination before the more cookie-cutter styles of the 1950s and up started to dominate.

But we're now pretty much at the point that with all but a few stragglers who starred in these have passed on and the original fans at that point, or soon to be so, is pretty much looked as just another chapter in history, and of course, being overshadowed by the world's biggest conflict of the 20th century certainly taints it to armed forces, political leaders, and weapons as opposed to lifestyle and art, forgetting that the noncombatants still had a lot of stuff to look forward to, and a lot of the early decade trends get lumped into the '30s with the later decade styles oozing into the '50s.

Written By: christopher on 01/14/18 at 4:22 pm

It's true that 40s styles are lumped with either the 30s  or the 50s. But most retro lifestyle women style their hair in a more 40s way than a 50s one. The 40s are usually referenced in media but often without much fuzz, think of Christina's Candy man or when Kylie Minogue did the 40s hair. The thing is her hair is 40s but everything else looks like out of time, like some retro futuristic dream:

FfNaRnuFbsE

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/18 at 7:22 pm

1940s hair for men was the best, hands down. I'm glad it got a good revival this decade.

1940s hair for women was usually shoulder-length. Straighter at the top but curly/puffy towards the bottom. That's how I would describe it.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/14/18 at 11:02 pm

The 1940s are underrated

Indeed they are!!!!

I have an 8 track tape called "Country hits from the 40s,50s and 60s" and the songs on that tape from the 40s ARE INSANE!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/18 at 10:45 am

Indeed they are!!!!

I have an 8 track tape called "Country hits from the 40s,50s and 60s" and the songs on that tape from the 40s ARE INSANE!!!
Glenn Miller was at his peak in the early 1940s.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/16/18 at 6:05 pm

Ya .... I wonder why there isnt any Glen Miller songs on this tape! (Theres one by Glen Campbell (Gentle on my mind))

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 5:44 am

Indeed they are!!!!

Glenn Miller was at his peak in the early 1940s.

Ya .... I wonder why there isnt any Glen Miller songs on this tape!
...because Glenn Miller did not do country songs.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/23/18 at 2:58 am

OOPS,im sorry Phil!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/18 at 6:02 am

OOPOS,im sorry Phil!!!
O0

Check for new replies or respond here...