inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Robert F. Kennedy's Funeral Train in 1968

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 2:03 pm

Bobby Kennedy's funeral train in June 1968 that traveled from New York City to Washington, DC.

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e12428ba58b34b1a06/master/w_1548,c_limit/2.5.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e00dfee959fdae8650/master/w_1548,c_limit/3.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e0a00a37525c81c68b/master/w_1548,c_limit/2.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e1562c295ad5ba9d4b/master/w_1548,c_limit/4.5.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e1da80355baf10d2d9/master/w_1548,c_limit/4.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5ac25125da3a2c4d72c7a2af/master/w_1548,c_limit/RFK-archival-1.jpg
(Elkton, MD)

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5ac24d0a2b7d7737ba5d6fe8/master/w_1548,c_limit/RFK-archival-2.jpg
(Tullytown, PA)

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5ac3ea77c53fd02ae32a3bca/master/w_1548,c_limit/14%2520Philippe%2520Parreno.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5abeb2e30dfee959fdae8652/master/w_1548,c_limit/8.jpg

Photos are from this article: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/robert-f-kennedys-funeral-train-fifty-years-later

Subject: Re: Robert F. Kennedy's Funeral Train in 1968

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/11/18 at 3:07 pm

I just started watching reruns of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In on Amazon Prime Video about a week ago. The first season started at the beginning of 1968, and Dan Rowan and Dick Martin were making topical jokes about Bobby Kennedy, and it made me a little sad because they had no idea what was about to happen to him.  :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 3:09 pm

I just started watching reruns of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In on Amazon Prime Video about a week ago. The first season started at the beginning of 1968, and Dan Rowan and Dick Martin were making topical jokes about Bobby Kennedy, and it made me a little sad because they had no idea what was about to happen to him.  :(

Yeah, it's really sad.

He should have became President instead of corrupt Nixon >:(.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/11/18 at 3:21 pm

Yeah, it's really sad.

He should have became President instead of corrupt Nixon >:(.

You think things are bad now? Although I wasn't alive back then, 1968 seemed like it must have been a total sh!tshow.  I'm willing to bet that a lot of people thought the world was coming to an end.  :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 3:43 pm

You think things are bad now? Although I wasn't alive back then, 1968 seemed like it must have been a total sh!tshow.  I'm willing to bet that a lot of people thought the world was coming to an end.  :-\\

Yeah, so I've heard.

The '60s really were a crazy and transformative time for America.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/12/18 at 9:11 am

The assassinations of Bobby and Martin were tragedies, and  we progressives mourned their lose, we were not disheartened.  There were lots of things going on that gave us hope.  The civil rights movement continued and the anti war movement was gathering strength.  We knew that  they would go on because even the lose of these leaders would not  stop us.  We adhered to the Wobbly philosophy, "We are ALL leaders.  So I think things today are a good deal worse.  For one thing, as bad as Nixon was, and he was plenty bad, Trump is much worse

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/18 at 10:05 am

The assassinations of Bobby and Martin were tragedies, and  we progressives mourned their lose, we were not disheartened.  There were lots of things going on that gave us hope.  The civil rights movement continued and the anti war movement was gathering strength.  We knew that  they would go on because even the lose of these leaders would not  stop us.  We adhered to the Wobbly philosophy, "We are ALL leaders.  So I think things today are a good deal worse.  For one thing, as bad as Nixon was, and he was plenty bad, Trump is much worse

That's where things get complicated for me. I'll explain:

Trump is loud and brash and I absolute dislike him but Nixon was corrupt and your typically sneaky and conniving politician.

Nixon sabotaged the peace talks between the Johnson administration and the North Vietnamese just so that he could win the election. He prolonged the Vietnam War for political gain meanwhile this caused the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese people and thousands of American troops. Nixon is on recorded tape making bigoted and racist statements towards African-Americans, Jewish people and the LGBT community. Nixon was also paranoid and believed that the media and everyone around him except for basically Henry Kissinger and a few other close aides were out to get him.

Nixon did do some good things of course but his bad outweighs his good in my opinion. Also, Nixon's biggest accomplishment was opening up the People's Republic of China (PRC) to the world. However, it's 2018, and in hindsight, that may not have been the best thing to do.

The only great achievements Nixon did in my opinion was SALT I, Title IX and the creation of the EPA.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/12/18 at 5:59 pm

That's where things get complicated for me. I'll explain:

Trump is loud and brash and I absolute dislike him but Nixon was corrupt and your typically sneaky and conniving politician.

Nixon sabotaged the peace talks between the Johnson administration and the North Vietnamese just so that he could win the election. He prolonged the Vietnam War for political gain meanwhile this caused the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese people and thousands of American troops. Nixon is on recorded tape making bigoted and racist statements towards African-Americans, Jewish people and the LGBT community. Nixon was also paranoid and believed that the media and everyone around him except for basically Henry Kissinger and a few other close aides were out to get him.

Nixon did do some good things of course but his bad outweighs his good in my opinion. Also, Nixon's biggest accomplishment was opening up the People's Republic of China (PRC) to the world. However, it's 2018, and in hindsight, that may not have been the best thing to do.

The only great achievements Nixon did in my opinion was SALT I, Title IX and the creation of the EPA.

Everything you say is absolutely true.  But just change the name Nixon to Trump, get rid of the bolded passage, and there you are.  And I don't think opening to China was bad.  Better the enemy you know (and can talk to) than one that is isolated and excluded from the community of nations

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/18 at 6:08 pm

Everything you say is absolutely true.  But just change the name Nixon to Trump, get rid of the bolded passage, and there you are.

Are you saying that Trump is Nixon?

And I don't think opening to China was bad.  Better the enemy you know (and can talk to) than one that is isolated and excluded from the community of nations

Maybe so. However, isn't that what we have been doing with Saudi Arabia since they discovered oil in the '50s? Look how that has worked out for us.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/18 at 3:15 am

Yes indeed, very sad. It was his assassination is one of my earliest memories hearing it on the radio.

On my visit to Arlington Cemetery in Washington D.C., I did visit the graveside of Robert Kennedy, and took this photo.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/IMAG0805.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/18 at 8:33 am

Yes indeed, very sad. It was his assassination is one of my earliest memories hearing it on the radio.

On my visit to Arlington Cemetery in Washington D.C., I did visit the graveside of Robert Kennedy, and took this photo.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/IMAG0805.jpg

Great photo!

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/18 at 8:47 am

Are you saying that Trump is Nixon?
Maybe so. However, isn't that what we have been doing with Saudi Arabia since they discovered oil in the '50s? Look how that has worked out for us.

I'm saying that Trump is much worse than Nixon.  I'm not sure what you mean re Saudi Arabia, I don't fancy the way  they run their country, especially the way they treat women, but it's their country.  By contrast, look at what happened with Iran.  We are responsible for the bad blood there since it was us and the Brits that "gave" them the Shah and crushed their budding democracy back in 1941

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/18 at 8:57 am

I'm saying that Trump is much worse than Nixon.  I'm not sure what you mean re Saudi Arabia, I don't fancy the way  they run their country, especially the way they treat women, but it's their country.  By contrast, look at what happened with Iran.  We are responsible for the bad blood there since it was us and the Brits that "gave" them the Shah and crushed their budding democracy back in 1941

Saudi Arabia should be an enemy of the U.S.

Do you not know how the Sauds got into power and how they have spread their fundamentalist version of Islam throughout the Middle East and around the world with that oil money? ???

15 out of the 19 terrorists on  9/11 were from none other than Saudi Arabia.

Also, I was addressing your point in which you said "Better the enemy you know (and can talk to) than one that is isolated and excluded from the community of nations".

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/18 at 10:11 am

Saudi Arabia should be an enemy of the U.S.

Do you not know how the Sauds got into power and how they have spread their fundamentalist version of Islam throughout the Middle East and around the world with that oil money? ???

15 out of the 19 terrorists on  9/11 were from none other than Saudi Arabia.

Also, I was addressing your point in which you said "Better the enemy you know (and can talk to) than one that is isolated and excluded from the community of nations".

Yes, I am aware of all that, and I don't consider the Saudis as friends or allies.  Nor do I favor attempts at regime change   

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/18 at 10:34 am

Yes, I am aware of all that, and I don't consider the Saudis as friends or allies.  Nor do I favor attempts at regime change 

I'm not advocating for regime change I was just connecting your point about China to Saudi Arabia.

Of course, you and I don't consider Saudi Arabia to be our allies but the US government certainly does.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/18 at 12:15 pm

I'm not advocating for regime change I was just connecting your point about China to Saudi Arabia.

Of course, you and I don't consider Saudi Arabia to be our allies but the US government certainly does.

It's geopolitical.  Since we f'ed up relations with Iran Saudi Arabia is a counter weight.  In either case, when you lay down with dogs, you get fleas

Check for new replies or respond here...