inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1950s Silent gen kid culture

Written By: d90 on 04/17/18 at 4:06 am

What year do you consider to be the last year that  Silent Generation kid culture (ages 12 and under)was relevant.
I think it was sometime between 1954 and 1956 when Baby Boomer kid shows like the original Mickey Mouse Club, and Captain Kangaroo came out and the last Silent Geners born in 1943 and 1944 were soon starting to become teenagers

In my opinion I think that late 50s cartoons like Rocky and Bullwinkle and Huckleberry Hound were targeted towards Baby boomers.

Subject: Re: 1950s Silent gen kid culture

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/17/18 at 12:08 pm

1945 is the last Silent birthyear.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/19/18 at 7:16 am

Silent generation kids, unlike their Boomer counterparts, were predominantly raised on radio. They tend to be fans of The Lone Ranger or Laurel & Hardy more often. Boomer kids were raised in the Silver Age of Comics, silent gen kids in the Golden Age of Comics. Of course, there was less of a mainstream kid culture due to more limited indoor entertainment options, so it varied more widely from place to place. Most first got TV around the time they were a teenager or even in their 20s for the older part of the generation. The generation is sort of split between jazz and rock and roll in terms of their overall musical preferences, with the earlier (1928-1936) siding toward jazz since rock didn't take off until after they graduated high school (they tend to be HUGE Sinatra fans), while the later (1937-1945) tend to be either fans of pre-Beatles rock 'n roll for the "hip kids", or for the "squares", modern "cool" jazz, though even for the tail end of their generation, their musical soundtrack during their childhood was dominated by jazz and mellow pop.

Written By: d90 on 04/20/18 at 11:04 am

The Silent Generation kids while they were growing up would have either had to go to the theater to see their cartoons or see them on a Projector.  The Silent Generation kids and very early Baby Boomers (1945-1950) would have grown up with short cartoons like the Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse cartoons and Popeye. The younger Very early Baby Boomers born between 1948 and 1950 would have been in their late childhood when cartoons with episodes like the Flintstones started airing. The early Silent Geners born 1928 to 1933 would have seen the early Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies with characters like Bosco and Buddy and the early Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/18 at 3:21 pm

The "Silent Generation" was wedged between the "Greatest Generation" & the "Baby Boomers."  They are also known as the "Depression Babies." It was also the smallest generation-especially compared to the Baby Boomers. This was my parents generation. Most were too young to fight in WWII-but they were effected by it.

My parents were married in Jan. 1951 and my brother was born in Dec. that year. By that time, most households had a tv. The "adult" programing was basically radio shows that transitioned to television. Here are a list of some of them:  https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059903884/?ref_=tt_rls_1

By this time, the Baby Boom had begun-in just my family alone. My mother was perpetually pregnant from 1951-1963. And she wasn't alone. Many women were. The newer programs started to focus on family-so everyone could be included: Father Knows Best, Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Dennis the Menace to name just a few. All of them had kids as a main characters.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/22/18 at 10:19 am

As a kid in the '50s I remember watching The Cisco Kid, Hoppalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger (so the LR and Tonto found themselves under attack by hostile Indians  coming from the north.  The LR says "we'll ride south" but then more attacked from the south, so he says "we'll ride east, but them more came from the east.  So he says "better ride west".  you got it, more came from the west.  So the LR say "what should we do now Tonto?"  Tonto replies "what mean "we" pale face?") and the "kid shows" like Micky Mouse, Buffalo Bill Etc.  Rocky and Bullwinkle came later, along with Soupy Sales, but they were subtly designed for adults too 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/18 at 1:33 pm

As a kid in the '50s I remember watching The Cisco Kid, Hoppalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger (so the LR and Tonto found themselves under attack by hostile Indians  coming from the north.  The LR says "we'll ride south" but then more attacked from the south, so he says "we'll ride east, but them more came from the east.  So he says "better ride west".  you got it, more came from the west.  So the LR say "what should we do now Tonto?"  Tonto replies "what mean "we" pale face?") and the "kid shows" like Micky Mouse, Buffalo Bill Etc.  Rocky and Bullwinkle came later, along with Soupy Sales, but they were subtly designed for adults too

As a kid, I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle. Then I watched them again when I was older and thought, "how could kids GET this?" Of course as an adult, I love them even more.

There was a famous ep of Soupy Sales where he opened his door and there was a topless dancer. The audience couldn't see the dancer. But, it was caught on film and used in a "blooper" reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cherobZX9cc

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...