inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 60s questions for those who lived through that decade

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/18 at 7:33 pm

1) What was going to the movies like? How many movies would play in a given theater? How long did movies stay in cinemas back then?

2) What did people do for fun?

3) What year would you say divides the early 60s pop cultural era from the Hippie era?

4) Was the generation gap between the Greatest Generation as big a thing as the media has made it out to be?

5) Was Doo Wop youth/teen music in the 60s or more aimed at adults?

6) Did Greasers still exist in the 60s?

Subject: Re: 60s questions for those who lived through that decade

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/13/18 at 10:15 am

1) What was going to the movies like? How many movies would play in a given theater? How long did movies stay in cinemas back then?

2) What did people do for fun?

3) What year would you say divides the early 60s pop cultural era from the Hippie era?

4) Was the generation gap between the Greatest Generation as big a thing as the media has made it out to be?

5) Was Doo Wop youth/teen music in the 60s or more aimed at adults?

6) Did Greasers still exist in the 60s?

I'll answer these questions, but others might remember things differently:

Going to the movies was much like it is today.  I don't remember how long films would play in theaters, but I think it would vary.  Some theaters would show 2 flix, or a long one with a short or cartoons.  The drive ins would change every week, but few would really care since we were more interested in each other than in the movie, thhat's why drive-ins were called "passion pits".

People did lots of stuff for fun depending on the season and location.  I lived in a small town surrounded by a rural area so I had a nifty spot on a dirt road in the woods where I would take my girl to park and spark, there was swimming, bowling, an occasional dance at the VFW hall, movies, hanging out at friends'  homes etc. 

I don't think  there was one firm line of demarcation but rather an evolution, as Vietnam got hotter young people became more rebellious and some drifted into
hippie-dom.

The size of the generation gap was a result of Vietnam.  WWII vets found it hard to accept that their war was vastly different from Vietnam and found our resistance to it hard to accept.  That was certainly the case with me and my father.  In my case my mother was the bridge to that gap since she was opposed to the war.

Don't know about doo wap except to say that it was not aimed at adults.

Yes, greasers were a part of the 60's

Subject: Re: 60s questions for those who lived through that decade

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 10:35 am

1) What was going to the movies like? How many movies would play in a given theater? How long did movies stay in cinemas back then? Going to the was enjoyable as it was today. In the West End of London, films were on show for two to three months, but ordinary cinemas in ordinary towns had double features as a continuous performance, you stay all day. Nowadays, the showing are separate screenings.

2) What did people do for fun? For me, played sport, or got to the cinema.

3) What year would you say divides the early 60s pop cultural era from the Hippie era?Hippies were the late 1960s.

4) Was the generation gap between the Greatest Generation as big a thing as the media has made it out to be? The split between generations was starting, children openly disagreeing with their parents.

5) Was Doo Wop youth/teen music in the 60s or more aimed at adults? Doo Wop to me was more 1950s.

6) Did Greasers still exist in the 60s? Yes.

My answers in bold do refer to being in the UK.

Check for new replies or respond here...