inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any early 1960s pop culture fans?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/01/18 at 5:33 am

Doo Wop...R&B...Phil Spector music...Surf rock...Surf movies..."Where The Boys Are"...Early Country music...early James Bond  movies with Sean Connery...Camelot and LBJ's America before Vietnam....

This is the song that was #1 on the charts the day JFK was killed:
D5L5i7ARdAY

Anyone else a fan of this era (1960-1964)?

Subject: Re: Any early 1960s pop culture fans?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 5:36 am

Oh yes!

I much prefer the music from that era than that of the modern era.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/18 at 7:07 am

Oh yes!

I much prefer the music from that era than that of the modern era.

My Father enjoys the Doo-Wop era from the 1950's, he prefers this era a lot cause he grew up listening to this type of music.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/04/18 at 9:17 pm

Instrumental surf rock from that era is one of my favorite musical genres.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/06/18 at 6:59 am

I'd say this "era" bleeds in with the late 1950s as well, since it shares the doo wop and "core boomer childhood" feel of the former.  What also fascinates me about this era was the TV, since it was still a young medium (akin to the Internet in the early 2000s) and there was a lot of development still going place (the transition of live to tape programming, the birth of Saturday Morning cartoons, westerns popular but family sitcoms also becoming common with shows like Father Knows Best, Mr. Ed, 77 Sunset Strip, Hazel, and My Three Sons, along with American Bandstand's heyday which is associated with the "classic oldies" of the era. It was the silver age of comics, and let's not forget the utopian futurism and pop art of the era. Yes, it was still very staid in high society unlike the late 1960s onwards. Yes, the Boomers are getting old, but I especially enjoy the kitsch that the era has to offer.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/09/18 at 11:43 am

Music-wise, the early 60's was a time of semi-malaise.  After "the day the music died" (Feb 1959) there was a string of events working to derail the rock-n-roll movement - Elvis' drafting, Chuck Berry's incarceration, Jerry Lee Lewis' blacklisting, etc.  Who filled the void?  Teen idols, "standards" singers, surfer music, instrumental groups, radio pop (think Neil Sedaka), dance craze (ala The Twist), and girl groups.

There was still good music to be found and positive trends in the offing.  A new fledgling company, Motown records, was starting to make noise.  Girl groups were cranking out hits.  Instrumental groups (think Surfaris "Wipe Out") were cruising along.  Surf music made everyone want to head to the beach.  And teen idols kept the youth tuned in (even girl teen idols like Connie Francis).  It was a somewhat tranquil period for rock and roll - but little did people know how the music world's earth would shake come 1964.

8)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 9:49 am

Motown music is amazing!  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/16/19 at 7:08 am

Motown music is amazing!  8)

I agree with that.

Check for new replies or respond here...