inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The British Invasion

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/20 at 10:40 pm

The British Invasion was a period during the 60s when many pop and rock acts from the United Kingdom were breaking into the American Top 40.  Got any favourite songs from that era?

While the British Invasion was only a cultural phenomenon in the United States, I look at it from a different perspective as an outsider, so some of my favourites are from what I call The British Invasion: A Canadian Perspective

Here is Pretty flamingo by Manfred Mann.  A hit in 1966, it reached #1 in the UK, #2 in Canada and #29 in the US

28_gnIoXAnA

Here is Summer holiday by Cliff Richard and the Shadows.  A hit in 1962, it reached #1 in both the UK and Canada, but failed to chart in the States.  In the mid 80s, a Dutch duo called MC Miker G and Deejay Sven brought this back as an interpolation through song called Holiday rap, and while it was a Top 10 in both the UK and Canada, it also went unnoticed in the States.  I don't know what the US didn't like about this song.  It's such fun (both versions)!

g3K3MZTSad0

Subject: Re: The British Invasion

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/20 at 12:09 pm

(There's) always something there to remind me is perhaps best known in a 1983 version by the British group Naked Eyes, but here is Sandie Shaw with the 1964 original.  This was a #1 hit in both the UK and Canada, and peaked at #52 in the US

hp-FnGb4wbY

Here is You'll never walk alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers.  A UK #1 hit in 1963, it originally failed in North America, then it was re-issued in 1965 where it peaked at #31 in Canada and #48 in the US.  In 1985, Gerry Marsden assembled a host of British singers to record a charity version to aid the families of the victims of the infamous Bradford City fire disaster and it also went to #1 in the UK

ATYh0icMDtw

Subject: Re: The British Invasion

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/18/20 at 1:55 pm

The British Invasion was HUGE in the U.S. in the mid-60's  :D

I'm pretty sure I posted this as "60's song of the day" sometime back, but it bears reposting -

The Hollies - Look Through Any Window (late 1965)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQp1IDVZdCg

Check for new replies or respond here...