inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1940s era films that you enjoy watching? Classic movies?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/20 at 12:55 am

Is there one that stands out for you. Any films from the 1940s that you actually like?

Way before my time but, I like the movie Babes in Arms with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. I read somewhere recently that some scenes were removed because people thought the scenes were racist. I have seen that movie two times. And to me it wasn't racist at all. It was a different time in America. We shouldn't forget that. And after watching it twice I realize that some people really need to change their mindsets. Overall, it's a very entertaining movie.

Subject: Re: 1940s era films that you enjoy watching? Classic movies?

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 7:18 am

I always enjoyed watching The Wizard of Oz and just a couple of months ago I was watching Queen of Sheba.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/20 at 7:23 am

Let me explain first before I reply.

Over the years I have been working on the idea of if I want to see a good film, watching Oscar winning or nominated films will guarantee at least one aspect of the film will be good or outstanding. With the pandemic and being stuck at home I have been able to view many more.

Having recently watched "Crossfire" (1947) and "The Fallen Idol" (1948) made a welcome change to mundane daily television.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/20 at 7:26 am

I always enjoyed watching The Wizard of Oz and just a couple of months ago I was watching Queen of Sheba.
Bearing in mind that "The Wizard of Oz" was released on August 25th 1939, and had finished in run by the start of 1940.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/20 at 11:12 am

For it was during the 1940s, beds shown in bedrooms had to be two single beds, a double bed was never seen, and a man had to keep one foot on the floor.

Check for new replies or respond here...