inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Samples of 60s songs from any decade

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/20 at 1:02 am

Here is a really good 2009 song called Give it to me Right by a Canadian singer named Melanie Fiona.  It samples the 1968 hit Time of the Season by The Zombies

dPBQmzKQRvU qzpPy9hJYA8

Subject: Re: Samples of 60s songs from any decade

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/20 at 1:05 am

Here is a popular 2002 hit called Starry Eyed Surprise by Paul Oakenfold and Shifty Shellshock (lead singer of Crazy Town).  It samples the 1968 hit Everybody's Talkin' by Harry Nilsson

7odMzSb6WUQ jzFM_-1moSo

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/20 at 1:20 am

Here is the 2009 song Goodbye by Kristinia Debarge, the daughter of James Debarge.  It is based around a sample and lyrics from the 1969 Steam song Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

4576ymdmemQ WhF6Yzws5PU

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/20 at 9:22 am

In 1968, Nancy Sinatra released a cover of the 1966 Cher hit Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) and while her version was never a single, it was remixed and heavily sampled into a massive club hit in 2005 titled Shot You Down by a British duo called Audio Bullys.  In 2014, French DJ David Guetta sampled the tremolo guitar from Sinatra's version into a new vocal version featuring American singer Skylar Grey and the resulting song titled Shot Me Down became a massive club hit!

Nancy Sinatra version:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFa4ztm9P0

Audio Bullys featuring Nancy Sinatra - Shot You Down                    David Guetta featuring Skylar Grey - Shot Me Down
LqI5T0borKs 3x2ABSAMVno

Written By: nally on 10/11/20 at 1:18 pm

"Evil Ways" by Santana (which was recorded in 1969 and released as a single late in the year) was sampled by Mellow Man Ace in "Mentirosa" (1990).

Written By: nally on 12/18/20 at 11:08 pm

The 1974 song "Life Is A Rock, But The Radio Rolled Me" by Reunion, contains a sample of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" by the Four Tops (1966) late in the song.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/18/20 at 11:21 pm

The 1974 song "Life Is A Rock, But The Radio Rolled Me" by Reunion, contains a sample of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" by the Four Tops (1966) late in the song.

Technically speaking, that is not a  "sample" as we now understand the term. The song pre-dates today's electronic "sampling" by several years. Those "snatches" of "Baby I Need Your Loving" by The Four Tops, "Celebrate" by Three Dog Night, and "I Want to Take You Higher" by Sly and the Family Stone heard during the outro of "Life Is  Rock" are simply the song's background singers singing them and hence an actual part of the performance of the song. There was no electronic sampling of the original songs as is now common.

Written By: nally on 09/18/22 at 2:26 pm

^ Thank you for the clarification; I did not realise that was the case. It just sounded so much like the snippet of the Four Tops recording.

Check for new replies or respond here...