inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years were the "heart" of the Great Depression?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/02/21 at 8:29 pm

I know that, considering the war reparations agreements held at WWI's end, Germany was already in rough shape enough that there came a time piles of bills were better spent for lighting on fire than buying a loaf of bread. I have concluded, as a result, that every year 1930-45, in Germany, would have been equally depressing.

However, if I am wrong, or even if I am right, what years during the Great Depression yielded the least food/ highest number of health problems outside of Germany? I think I read either 1936 or '37 was the "heart" of the Great Depression, but I'm not sure.

Subject: Re: What years were the "heart" of the Great Depression?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/02/21 at 8:42 pm

Minor edition, but before I posted this, I forgot that Hitler either repaired Germany's economy or was in office during the time it was automatically being repaired, so I guess in Germany, 1937 (I think this is when he went from Chancellor to F├╝hrer) to 1945 might not have been depressing except for the people getting killed for being born in the wrong families... Just thought I'd say I was aware of this, but forgot when I said 1930-45 earlier.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/21 at 9:18 pm

I have no idea. I was not born yet and have no first hand experience to know for sure.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/21 at 9:21 pm

It was a "double-dip" depression with unemployment peaking in 1933 and 1938 in North America. I'm not sure about Germany.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/21 at 9:43 pm

Probably 1931-36, when the Dust Bowl devastated millions of acres of farmland in the Midwest and forced millions of people to migrate west into California in search of work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 4:40 pm

A good indication will be found in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath".

Check for new replies or respond here...