inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years were the "heart" of the Great Depression?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/02/21 at 8:29 pm

I know that, considering the war reparations agreements held at WWI's end, Germany was already in rough shape enough that there came a time piles of bills were better spent for lighting on fire than buying a loaf of bread. I have concluded, as a result, that every year 1930-45, in Germany, would have been equally depressing.

However, if I am wrong, or even if I am right, what years during the Great Depression yielded the least food/ highest number of health problems outside of Germany? I think I read either 1936 or '37 was the "heart" of the Great Depression, but I'm not sure.

Subject: Re: What years were the "heart" of the Great Depression?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/02/21 at 8:42 pm

Minor edition, but before I posted this, I forgot that Hitler either repaired Germany's economy or was in office during the time it was automatically being repaired, so I guess in Germany, 1937 (I think this is when he went from Chancellor to Führer) to 1945 might not have been depressing except for the people getting killed for being born in the wrong families... Just thought I'd say I was aware of this, but forgot when I said 1930-45 earlier.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/21 at 9:18 pm

I have no idea. I was not born yet and have no first hand experience to know for sure.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/21 at 9:21 pm

It was a "double-dip" depression with unemployment peaking in 1933 and 1938 in North America. I'm not sure about Germany.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/21 at 9:43 pm

Probably 1931-36, when the Dust Bowl devastated millions of acres of farmland in the Midwest and forced millions of people to migrate west into California in search of work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 4:40 pm

A good indication will be found in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath".

Check for new replies or respond here...