inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite songs by The Monkees?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/24/21 at 3:26 am

Which of their songs did you like?

This is an oldie to me, buuut....

-mZ_YDzoKmE

Subject: Re: Favorite songs by The Monkees?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/21 at 3:31 am

All of them!

I can remember watching on television on the first broadcast of the television series.

Written By: nally on 03/24/21 at 10:27 am

I'm a Believer
I'm Not Your Stepping Stone

Written By: Contigo on 03/24/21 at 10:39 am

Last Train To Clarksville
Daydream Believer
What Am I Doing Hangin' Round

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/21 at 10:57 am

Should there be a poll for this topic?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/24/21 at 11:23 am

Should there be a poll for this topic?

Should there be a topic for this poll? Just to clarify, the Monkees were a band manufactured for a TV show, not the other way around. There are those that argue, however, that they somehow "became a band" in the ensuing years. Go figure. Michael Nesmith did make some excellent solo albums, however.

A well known piece of trivia, right up there with Nesmith's mother inventing Liquid Paper, is that Stephen Stills, a REAL musician, a musician's musician, auditioned for the Monkees. And of course, when I say "auditioned for the Monkees", that means the TV show, NOT the band, because there was no band. There was a TV show. The legend always has it that Stills was turned down because he had crooked teeth. This is bullocks, as they say in England. They could have fixed his teeth. You think every actor you see on TV doesn't have fixed teeth? The true story is Stills was too much, you might say, of a "control freak". He wanted to write and produce the music, maybe direct the TV show, and he CERTAINLY wanted the publishing for the songs he wrote. This did not go over well with the producers of the TV show who wanted to keep all control, and wanted manageable little puppets. So Stills was shown the door. Just as well. He went on to create an incredibly great body of music, which he was in complete control of.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/22 at 3:25 pm

Another piece of trivia, Davy Jones' acting credits include a Tony-nominated performance as the Artful Dodger in the original London and Broadway productions of Oliver! and a guest-starring role in a hallmark episode of The Brady Bunch television show and a later reprised parody film.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/12/22 at 3:46 pm

Should there be a topic for this poll? Just to clarify, the Monkees were a band manufactured for a TV show, not the other way around. There are those that argue, however, that they somehow "became a band" in the ensuing years. Go figure. Michael Nesmith did make some excellent solo albums, however.

A well known piece of trivia, right up there with Nesmith's mother inventing Liquid Paper, is that Stephen Stills, a REAL musician, a musician's musician, auditioned for the Monkees. And of course, when I say "auditioned for the Monkees", that means the TV show, NOT the band, because there was no band. There was a TV show. The legend always has it that Stills was turned down because he had crooked teeth. This is bullocks, as they say in England. They could have fixed his teeth. You think every actor you see on TV doesn't have fixed teeth? The true story is Stills was too much, you might say, of a "control freak". He wanted to write and produce the music, maybe direct the TV show, and he CERTAINLY wanted the publishing for the songs he wrote. This did not go over well with the producers of the TV show who wanted to keep all control, and wanted manageable little puppets. So Stills was shown the door. Just as well. He went on to create an incredibly great body of music, which he was in complete control of.

For clarification Micky did have his own band before the Monkees.  Stephen Still recommended Peter.  The control freak was Donnie Kirchner.  The band members did write songs and play their own instruments for Headquarters.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/13/22 at 1:09 am

I really only know 2 of their songs & they both have believer in the title... I have to go with I'm A Believer, & even then I prefer Smash Mouth's remake for Shrek

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/13/22 at 6:50 pm

And the Monkees got crucified for being "manufactured." While Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones were actors who had no prior musical experience and had to be taught how to play their instruments, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork were accomplished musicians before the Monkees were formed.

Nesmith actually played the guitar and Tork played the electric piano on the studio recording of Pleasant Valley Sunday.  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0

(Obviously Davy didn't really play the bass.  ;D)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/13/22 at 7:01 pm

Oh, and never did the Monkees ever film their television show right after smoking some of that hippie lettuce.  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40g2UrzDH-Q

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/22 at 11:33 am

And the Monkees got crucified for being "manufactured." While Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones were actors who had no prior musical experience and had to be taught how to play their instruments, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork were accomplished musicians before the Monkees were formed.

Nesmith actually played the guitar and Tork played the electric piano on the studio recording of Pleasant Valley Sunday.  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0

(Obviously Davy didn't really play the bass.  ;D)

Maybe not musical experience on the instruments but Davy Jones had prior singing musical experience.  He was the original Artful Dodger in Oliver on Broadway.  In fact he was on the Ed Sullivan show the same night as the Beatles.

A few weeks ago, we were in our local second hand shop.  There were three Playbills from the '60. One was from Oliver. The other two were from The Apple Tree with Alan Alda and Barefoot in the Park with Robert Reed. I showed the owner (an acquaintance of ours) Davy Jones in the program. I said, "Yes, THAT Davy Jones of the Monkees." I then picked up all three programs and was going to ask if she would make me a deal on all of them when Carols stepped in. He asked me what I was going to do with them and reminded me that I was trying to declutter. So I left them there.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...