inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What killed double first names?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/01/21 at 4:37 pm

Like Barbara Jean, Betty Ann or Mary Sue?
A quick look at my grandparent's yearbooks tells me they were common in the 50s, though not as much as nostalgic media tends believe.

Also, when did double first names become a Southern thing?

Subject: Re: What killed double first names?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/01/21 at 5:10 pm

I have a double name, Jessica Ann.

It continued throughout the 80s too. Not so much in the 90s I guess. Maybe everyone thought it was pointless to do that. My dad was the one who picked out my name. But he's deceased so I can't ask him.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/01/21 at 5:10 pm

Names like Barbara,, Betty and Mary, along with other more "traditional" 20 Century names like Susan, Linda, etc have been out of favor for some time among new parents naming children. And---to your question---when they went, the second part, if there was one, just went right along with it.

One of the things that killed it was the now widespread and common trend of using last names as first names. Brady, Carter, Tucker, Taylor, Tyler, Madison, Beckett, Bailey, Cohen, Cooper, Devlin, Emerson, Addison...all were once exclusively last names. No more.

Also, keep in mind, there is a huge trend right now of using non-gender specific names.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/01/21 at 7:37 pm

Names like Barbara,, Betty and Mary, along with other more "traditional" 20 Century names like Susan, Linda, etc have been out of favor for some time among new parents naming children. And---to your question---when they went, the second part, if there was one, just went right along with it.

One of the things that killed it was the now widespread and common trend of using last names as first names. Brady, Carter, Tucker, Taylor, Tyler, Madison, Beckett, Bailey, Cohen, Cooper, Devlin, Emerson, Addison...all were once exclusively last names. No more.

Also, keep in mind, there is a huge trend right now of using non-gender specific names.

Come to think of it, the only double name in my class growing up was a Kelli Ann. Kelli is a very millenial name, so maybe the first names associated with most double names are what died.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/01/21 at 7:39 pm

Come to think of it, the only double name in my class growing up was a Kelli Ann. Kelli is a very millenial name, so maybe the first names associated with most double names are what died.

That's what it would seem to me.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/01/21 at 8:42 pm

That's what it would seem to me.

Mary would be an exception. The name Mary and double names with Mary seem to outlast other double names by a lot. Mary Lou Retton was born in 1968 eg.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/01/21 at 8:47 pm

I have a double name, Jessica Ann.

It continued throughout the 80s too. Not so much in the 90s I guess. Maybe everyone thought it was pointless to do that. My dad was the one who picked out my name. But he's deceased so I can't ask him.

What second first names have you seen in your generation?
___ Ann seems plausible, but I can't see someone our age with the name ____ Sue. ___ Jean maybe, but it sounds very southern.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/01/21 at 9:10 pm

What second first names have you seen in your generation?

Not many. I think it was just in our family. My dad's idea to give us two first names.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/01/21 at 9:28 pm

I think we might be talking about two different things. I think of a double first name as something like the famous Kellyanne Elizabeth Conway. First name is made of 2 names. She still has a middle name.

Mary Lou Retton may be often referred to as Mary Lou, but it’s her first and middle name, not a double first name.

Same with several people I know with first and middle names of Billie Jo, Bobbie Sue, Ginger Lee, Lee Roy…

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/01/21 at 9:38 pm

I think we might be talking about two different things. I think of a double first name as something like the famous Kellyanne Elizabeth Conway. First name is made of 2 names. She still has a middle name.

Mary Lou Retton may be often referred to as Mary Lou, but it’s her first and middle name, not a double first name.

Same with several people I know with first and middle names of Billie Jo, Bobbie Sue, Ginger Lee, Lee Roy…

Good point. But it still doesn't change the basic premise of the question. It just has to be rephrased as "what killed the (mainly Sothern) practice of referring to (some) people by their first and middle names?".

Written By: violet_shy on 07/01/21 at 11:30 pm

I'm glad I have two names. And mine actually go together. So it's one name. Everyone calls me Jessica though which is ok with me. I love my name wouldn't change it. It's beautiful. (Thanks dad! Wherever the heck you are ;D ;D)...Lol!!! Omg. I have no shame! Hahaha!

And putting all my surnames together with it, I have a really long name!

Jessica Ann Tremblay-Martinez Marrero

Tremblay is my engagement name. Soon to be married name.

Martinez was my dad's surname.
Marrero is my mother's.

My mom has THREE names: Maria Del Carmen!

Sorry dad!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/02/21 at 5:58 am

I think they were most popular during The 1950's and 60's era from what I can remember reading.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/03/21 at 3:46 pm

Lee Harvey Oswald

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/21 at 7:46 pm

I think they were most popular during The 1950's and 60's era from what I can remember reading.

I think so too.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/04/21 at 8:07 pm

I'm glad I have two names. And mine actually go together. So it's one name. Everyone calls me Jessica though which is ok with me. I love my name wouldn't change it. It's beautiful. (Thanks dad! Wherever the heck you are ;D ;D)...Lol!!! Omg. I have no shame! Hahaha!

And putting all my surnames together with it, I have a really long name!

Jessica Ann Tremblay-Martinez Marrero

Tremblay is my engagement name. Soon to be married name.

Martinez was my dad's surname.
Marrero is my mother's.

My mom has THREE names: Maria Del Carmen!

Sorry dad!  ;D

What about Antrim? I remember when you originally posted links to your music and stuff, you went by that.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/21 at 8:31 pm

What about Antrim? I remember when you originally posted links to your music and stuff, you went by that.

That's from my mom's side of the family. My grandmother's side name was Antrim it's Irish. I have a fairly big mixture of ethnicities!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 8:37 pm

That's from my mom's side of the family. My grandmother's side name was Antrim it's Irish. I have a fairly big mixture of ethnicities!

What about McCarty? I seem to recall you used that for a while. Something about finding out you had an ancestor from the old west by that name.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 2:16 am

Like Barbara Jean, Betty Ann or Mary Sue?
A quick look at my grandparent's yearbooks tells me they were common in the 50s, though not as much as nostalgic media tends believe.

Also, when did double first names become a Southern thing?
Nobody has, double first names continue.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/04/22 at 12:25 am

boys first names and male "son of" surnames (e.g. Madison) on baby girls is just horrible.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/IMG_0956.WEBP

Check for new replies or respond here...