inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you live in Ancient times?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/26/21 at 6:53 pm

Without modern technology, smart electronics, modern transportation/cars, or any of that? People are usually romanticized by ancient times. But would we really want to live during those days?

I'm going to say no....maybe for a week, lol and then come back. I like modern times.

Subject: Re: Would you live in Ancient times?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/26/21 at 7:30 pm

Would love to have seen the Alexandrian Library. Would not want to live in those times.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/21 at 4:23 am

Without modern technology, smart electronics, modern transportation/cars, or any of that? People are usually romanticized by ancient times. But would we really want to live during those days?

I'm going to say no....maybe for a week, lol and then come back. I like modern times.

That would be good for just one day and then return to the "now" of 2021 but how far are you talking about in "Ancient Times"? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/21 at 6:05 am

I did live in a time when there was not any modern technology and smart electronics, and I got by!

Written By: violet_shy on 10/27/21 at 4:59 pm

That would be good for just one day and then return to the "now" of 2021 but how far are you talking about in "Ancient Times"? ???

BC times.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/27/21 at 7:44 pm

No way. Most societies were much more brutal and barbaric back then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/21 at 8:07 pm

No way. Most societies were much more brutal and barbaric back then.

Not much indoor plumbing either.

BC times.

Now referred to as BCE, "before common era". BCE and CE are alternatives to the Dionysian BC and AD notations, respectively.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/21 at 8:14 pm

I did live in a time when there was not any modern technology and smart electronics, and I got by!

I think I need to clarify that. You make it sound like we lived in the stone age. We had PLENTY of modern technology. We put twelve men on the moon, for heaven's sake! We cured polio and other terrible diseases. We pioneered heart transplants. We had untold riches of great music played on radios and on vinyl wheels that spun around. We just didn't have TODAY's modern technology, which we couldn't have had because it wasn't today yet.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/21 at 12:50 am

I like the convenience of having a cellphone, but ultimately, I could do without it.  I came into this world in the 70s when modern technology consisted of BetaMax Tape Machines, Computer Floppy Disks and Portable Cellphones that had shoulder straps, weighed a couple of pounds and cost more than today's average YEARLY cellphone bill.  Even going back then would be like ancient times because no one really uses any of that stuff anymore.  I mean if you are watching BetaMax tapes in 2021, you need to rip off that schoolmarm outfit and jump into the 21st century lol

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/28/21 at 1:02 am

Not much indoor plumbing either.

If I absolutely had to, I could live without indoor plumbing.

I just don't think I'd want to live under tyrants with access to guillotines and Catherine wheels and iron maidens.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 10/28/21 at 3:48 am

I did too and that was when I was growing up during the 1980's.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/21 at 3:49 am

BC times.

I would like to live in The Victorian Era.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/21 at 3:51 am

If I absolutely had to, I could live without indoor plumbing.

I just don't think I'd want to live under tyrants with access to guillotines and Catherine wheels and iron maidens.  :o :o :o

I need plumbing, What about washing your face or perhaps taking a shower? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/28/21 at 9:41 am

I like the convenience of having a cellphone, but ultimately, I could do without it.  I came into this world in the 70s when modern technology consisted of BetaMax Tape Machines, Computer Floppy Disks and Portable Cellphones that had shoulder straps, weighed a couple of pounds and cost more than today's average YEARLY cellphone bill.  Even going back then would be like ancient times because no one really uses any of that stuff anymore.  I mean if you are watching BetaMax tapes in 2021, you need to rip off that schoolmarm outfit and jump into the 21st century lol

Nobody used that stuff back then either. A few rich people had Betamax machines, mostly for recording because there wasn't really anything to show on them, and a few REALLY rich people had the early, big cell phones which were expensive and very limited, so they used them as toys. Most average people never saw Betamax or VHS until the mid-80s and cell phones until whenever it was that cell phones became popular. And only a few advanced companies (like NASA, which put people on the moon despite this alleged "lack of technology") really had computers to any great extent so those big style floppy discs weren't an issue either. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/28/21 at 11:20 am

I need plumbing, What about washing your face or perhaps taking a shower? ???

Before running water, most places had wells, so I'd imagine that people drew water out of them and used it to wash themselves.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/28/21 at 12:56 pm

Before running water, most places had wells, so I'd imagine that people drew water out of them and used it to wash themselves.

Keep in mind that many ancient civilizations, like the Romans, had public baths. In fact much of Roman social life revolved around the public baths.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/21 at 2:07 pm

I always wanted a magic mirror where I can SEE any place at any time-not to interact with it but to see how life really was. What I would really love to see is how my house looked when it was first built in 1865.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/28/21 at 2:17 pm

I always wanted a magic mirror where I can SEE any place at any time-not to interact with it but to see how life really was. What I would really love to see is how my house looked when it was first built in 1865.

Cat

Lol where's the magic mirror!? That would be awesome!

Written By: Howard on 10/29/21 at 3:36 am

I'm hoping they used soap too.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/21 at 3:37 am

Cat

That could be arranged.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/21 at 1:16 pm

That could be arranged.

Please tell me how. I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 1:24 pm

I'm hoping they used soap too.

If they did they would have to have made it themselves. Where else would they get it? More likely they rubbed oils on themselves.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 7:03 am

Please tell me how. I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

Cat

To build a magic mirror, you'll need:

Ikea Ribba 18×24 picture frame.
    Official Raspberry Pi 7″″ Touchscreen.
    A5 observation mirror.
    Gaffer or duct tape.
    Velcro or foam sticky pads.
    Raspberry Pi.
Sorry Cat, I had to Google it.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 7:05 am

If they did they would have to have made it themselves. Where else would they get it? More likely they rubbed oils on themselves.

And what if one needed to use the bathroom? Didn't they use those big pots for their urine or feces back in the days then took the pot and dumped it somewhere? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/21 at 2:15 pm

To build a magic mirror, you'll need:

Ikea Ribba 18×24 picture frame.
    Official Raspberry Pi 7″″ Touchscreen.
    A5 observation mirror.
    Gaffer or duct tape.
    Velcro or foam sticky pads.
    Raspberry Pi.
Sorry Cat, I had to Google it.

Karma for making me laugh.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/30/21 at 3:24 pm

Karma for making me laugh.

Cat

That's all I could find Cat, other than that I don't know where you could find an actual magical mirror.

Check for new replies or respond here...