inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harvey Films/Paramount's Screen Song cartoons

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/30/22 at 9:22 am

In the 1950s, Harvey Films, a division of Paramount, released a series of cartoons that focused on a particular song. Each cartoon would begin with a plot regarding the background of the song. Then each short featured a sing-along sequence featuring a bouncing ball to sing along to the lyrics of the song featured. Then the short would finish up with a brief closing sequence as a result of the meaning of the lyrics. The title bumper would feature the lyrics "Start a day with a song, and sing the whole day through". Songs from "Clementine" to Mac Namara's Band" to "Shine On Harvest Moon" would be included. One short that I'm especially nostalgic for is "Three Little Fishies", which was included in one of the numerous public domain home video releases back in the 1980s/'90s that would feature a few other classic shorts, in this case it followed the 1948 version of Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer on the same tape, along with a couple other vintage Paramount cartoons. Anybody else have fond memories on these?

Subject: Re: Harvey Films/Paramount's Screen Song cartoons

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/22 at 9:31 am

In the 1950s, Harvey Films, a division of Paramount, released a series of cartoons that focused on a particular song. Each cartoon would begin with a plot regarding the background of the song. Then each short featured a sing-along sequence featuring a bouncing ball to sing along to the lyrics of the song featured. Then the short would finish up with a brief closing sequence as a result of the meaning of the lyrics. The title bumper would feature the lyrics "Start a day with a song, and sing the whole day through". Songs from "Clementine" to Mac Namara's Band" to "Shine On Harvest Moon" would be included. One short that I'm especially nostalgic for is "Three Little Fishies", which was included in one of the numerous public domain home video releases back in the 1980s/'90s that would feature a few other classic shorts, in this case it followed the 1948 version of Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer. Anybody else have fond memories on these?
I can remember watching these on television during the 1960s on UK television. Watch in black and white for that was the television we had then, and now I am trying to remember on which TV show they were on.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/22 at 9:52 am

I remember one for "Ain't She Sweet" with a box of chocolates coming to life and singing and dancing. Very surreal! But this one may pre-date the Harvey ones. it may go back to the 30s or so, I'm not sure. I used to see it on TV in the 60s and 70s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/30/22 at 3:35 pm

I don't specifically remember these, but wouldn't be surprised if I'd seen some as a kid.

The "bouncing ball" for song lyrics seemed to be common back in the day.  I declare, I'm pretty sure seeing them helped me learn to read.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/22 at 2:49 am

I don't specifically remember these, but wouldn't be surprised if I'd seen some as a kid.

The "bouncing ball" for song lyrics seemed to be common back in the day.  I declare, I'm pretty sure seeing them helped me learn to read.

I think I remember the bouncing ball in the lyrics, they wanted you to follow along with the song they were singing.

Check for new replies or respond here...