inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1960s Kid Culture

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/27/22 at 3:11 pm

For those who remember what it was like to be a kid in the 1960s, what are some favorite kid culture memories or experiences?  Be it TV shows/cartoons, books/comics, toys, games, outdoor activities, school remembrances, or just the way of life then.

Subject: Re: 1960s Kid Culture

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/27/22 at 10:42 pm

Anybody else remember the cartoon version of The Beatles?  I loved that cartoon, which first appeared when I was 5 (Fall 1965) and ran for about 2 years.  It was one of the first - or maybe the first - cartoon where the subjects were real people.  I became a Beatles fan for life at that point - I didn't even have a say in the matter, LOL.

Sample - The Beatles Cartoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPzWD0I3dBk
(Note: instrumental music is substituted in the youtube video for the real songs as performed in the cartoon, for copyright reasons...)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/22 at 2:25 pm

I may have told this story before but this is what kid culture in the '60s makes me think of:

I lived in a Lovettown-like neighborhood that had about 100+/- house. Since this was the height of the babyboom-most of the houses had a kid or two (or in our case 6-and we weren't the biggest family in the neighborhood). All houses were made out of ticky tacky and all looked just the same. Ours was a bit different because my mother put an addition that included 2 more rooms and a bathroom.

Anyway, in the center of that neighborhood was a playground and was THE CENTER! In the summer there was a councilor that would come and teach all the kids of the neighborhood games, arts & crafts, etc. etc. There were costume contests, hat contest, and so many other contests. My favorite was the scavenger hunt. We had a list where we had to go from house to house to find these objects (most were stuff that weren't worth anything that people didn't mind parting with-flower seeds, pet kibble stuff like that).

I remember one year when I was teamed up with one of my sisters. The bonus item was the councilor's baseball glove that was nicked. My sister KNEW who did it (that was a family that was notorious in the neighborhood-every neighborhood had one.) We made a beeline to the house. Yup, the girl admitted taking it and since there were bonus points for the return, she decided to return it herself. The look on her face was unreal. She was so proud that she was going to get bonus points for returning a glove that she stole.  ::) 

On Fridays, they would take all the kids (8 years and older) to a local park that had a pool. When I was FINALLY old enough to go which I was looking forward to for so long, I only went once because after that, we moved.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

For Halloween, there was always a parade led by the local fire department. I heard they STILL have the parade. When I was there, it was always on the Saturday closet to the 31st during the day. The parade ended at the playground where there were judging on costumes and then everyone went trick-or-treating. By the time the sun went down all the candy was handed out and all the ghosts & goblins were safely home. After I moved, I didn't understand about people going trick-or-treating after dark. I thought all the candy would be gone by then.

In the winter where was sledding behind "The Little Store." Never knew the name of that store. We just called it "The Little Store" which was in the neighborhood. There was Big Dynamite and Little Dynamite but don't let the names fool you. Big Dynamite was slower and "safer." Little Dynamite was faster and there were many wipeouts on it.

There was also caroling at Christmas.

The entire neighborhood was very kid-centered. Everyone knew everyone so if someone wanted their kid home, they would just call around to see if anyone has seen him/her and tell them that their mother wanted them home. And of course we ALWAYS had to be home when the streetlights came on.

It really was a great place to be a kid.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/28/22 at 4:08 pm

Anyway, in the center of that neighborhood was a playground and was THE CENTER! In the summer there was a councilor that would come and teach all the kids of the neighborhood games, arts & crafts, etc. etc. There were costume contests, hat contest, and so many other contests. My favorite was the scavenger hunt. We had a list where we had to go from house to house to find these objects (most were stuff that weren't worth anything that people didn't mind parting with-flower seeds, pet kibble stuff like that).

Cat

In the summer there were those counselors that came to the city playgrounds where I lived too. It was a program paid for by the city, if I recall. There were games like throwing beanbags through a holes in a wooden board. There was also a board game that I don't recall the name of, but it was a flat board with two rows of round indentations in it and one had to move these little colored rocks through each indentation in one row while your opponent moved theirs the other way in the other row. I THINK that's how it went. I'm not sure what the object f this game was. Then there was "gimp". Plastic ribbon that came in man colors on spools. Things could be weaved out of this. there was the "butterfly stitch", the "round stitch" and the "square stitch". The "butterfly stitch" was the easiest and I'm not sure I ever advanced any farther than that.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/28/22 at 4:43 pm

...Then there was "gimp". Plastic ribbon that came in man colors on spools. Things could be weaved out of this. there was the "butterfly stitch", the "round stitch" and the "square stitch". The "butterfly stitch" was the easiest and I'm not sure I ever advanced any farther than that.

I had to google about "gimp" - I found plenty of info about it.  I tended to be pretty crafty but don't specifically recall weaving this.  However I'm positive I'd seen some things (little jewelry or bracelets) made of it as a child.

One crafty thing I loved when I was fairly young was modeling clay.  Yes, Playdoh existed, as did Silly Putty (which for some reason we regarded both as pricey).  I coveted both of these, but was quite content when given a fresh pack of multi colored modeling clay.  I used to make all kinds of animals from it.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/28/22 at 4:50 pm

I had to google about "gimp" - I found plenty of info about it.  I tended to be pretty crafty but don't specifically recall weaving this.  However I'm positive I'd seen some things (little jewelry or bracelets) made of it as a child.

One crafty thing I loved when I was fairly young was modeling clay.  Yes, Playdoh existed, as did Silly Putty (which for some reason we regarded both as pricey).  I coveted both of these, but was quite content when given a fresh pack of multi colored modeling clay.  I used to make all kinds of animals from it.  :)

Another craft in the park was a square plastic loom that one could make potholders with. There were also checkers and Chinese checkers. Are "Chinese checkers" still a thing? It was a star shaped board game with marbles. It's likely called something else now.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/28/22 at 5:00 pm

...There were also checkers and Chinese checkers. Are "Chinese checkers" still a thing? It was a star shaped board game with marbles. It's likely called something else now.

I definitely remember the game, although I don't remember the rules of the game.  I have no idea what it's called today.  I agree with you, its name could be considered problematic.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/22 at 5:18 pm

Another craft in the park was a square plastic loom that one could make potholders with. There were also checkers and Chinese checkers. Are "Chinese checkers" still a thing? It was a star shaped board game with marbles. It's likely called something else now.

I definitely remember the game, although I don't remember the rules of the game.  I have no idea what it's called today.  I agree with you, its name could be considered problematic.  :-\\

I remember Chinese checkers. If memory serves, you had to jump your pieces to move and if you jumped the other person's pieces, you took them.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/22 at 5:34 pm

Do you guys remember Thingmaker and Creepy Crawlers? I had Fun Flowers, Piccidos and Incredible Edibles. Yeah, nothing like eating plastic. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDYrN3tX2s

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/28/22 at 7:15 pm

Do you guys remember Thingmaker and Creepy Crawlers? I had Fun Flowers, Piccidos and Incredible Edibles. Yeah, nothing like eating plastic. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDYrN3tX2s

Cat

I never had Thingmaker - I'm sure I would've liked it.  But we had lots of fun with Creepy Crawlers!  Between me and my brothers we probably made a few hundred rubbery spiders, worms, beetles, and the like.  They ended up in the strangest places  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/29/22 at 6:52 am

I've heard of "regular checkers" but not "Chinese checkers", that must be something new.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/29/22 at 10:24 am

Do you guys remember Thingmaker and Creepy Crawlers? I had Fun Flowers, Piccidos and Incredible Edibles. Yeah, nothing like eating plastic. lol. ...

I never had Thingmaker - I'm sure I would've liked it.  But we had lots of fun with Creepy Crawlers!  Between me and my brothers we probably made a few hundred rubbery spiders, worms, beetles, and the like.  They ended up in the strangest places  ;D

Regarding Thingmaker I stand corrected - it must've been part of our Creepy Crawlers set.  We never had the flowers, piccidos, or incredible edibles, though.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/29/22 at 11:16 am

Weren't so many of us '60s kids fans of comics?  Comic books, naturally.  (We usually had a few of those around.)  But I'm thinking about the Comics section of the Sunday newspapers.  I loved it when Dad came inside with a Sunday newspaper in hand and announced "Here are the funnies!" to our excited and waiting arms.  I believe by the time I was reading them ('65 or so), they were in color, but I'm not 100% on that.  Nonetheless, the Comics section of the newspaper was a source of delight for me and my brothers.

Written By: karen on 12/29/22 at 11:39 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_checkers

Interesting that we both (Brits and Americans) call it Chinese chequers (checkers) when it is German in origin. I remember a friend having this game as a Christmas present one year in the mid-seventies. I don’t recall us ever playing the game though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/22 at 2:02 pm

Regarding Thingmaker I stand corrected - it must've been part of our Creepy Crawlers set.  We never had the flowers, piccidos, or incredible edibles, though.

I was about to correct you.  ;)  We never had the Creepy Crawler set at least I don't recall if we did or not.

Several years ago we were at an auction. They had the flower molds and my memory was clicking like CRAZY. I said to Carlos, "I remember these" but didn't remember what they were from. Luckily I had our cell phone and called my sister. She told me they were from Thingmaker. I was like, "YEAH, I remember." We bought them hoping we could sell them at a profit. Didn't quite work. Oh well. We also got some Creeple People molds that we sold. Yeah, we didn't make much on those either.  :-\\ Oh well. At least I now recall having the flowers. I still recall having a bit of the goop left in the mold that I couldn't get out.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/22 at 4:20 pm

Anyone remember "Great Shakes"?  It was a powder where you just add milk and shake it up, and you have a "shake".  I recall having this in the late '60s, when I was around 9 or 10.  It was tasty, but nowhere as thick as a shake.  Nonetheless we kept buying it.  (I think it got discontinued maybe '73 or so.)

https://www.irememberjfk.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/great_shakes-225x300.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/22 at 4:25 pm

Anyone remember "Great Shakes"?  It was a powder where you just add milk and shake it up, and you have a "shake".  I recall having this in the late '60s, when I was around 9 or 10.  It was tasty, but nowhere as thick as a shake.  Nonetheless we kept buying it.  (I think it got discontinued maybe '73 or so.)

https://www.irememberjfk.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/great_shakes-225x300.jpg

It looks familiar but I don't really recall.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/30/22 at 4:25 pm

I don't remember that but I remember this. It came in several flavors:

https://live.staticflickr.com/3812/9491008240_d7ec103ee6_b.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/22 at 6:55 pm

Now THAT I remember.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/22 at 7:20 pm

O0 I remember that.  I think I had the Strawberry (Strawberry flavor fan here).  Not that often, though.

I believe it still exists, but it has changed a lot since then.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/22 at 2:53 am

O0 I remember that.  I think I had the Strawberry (Strawberry flavor fan here).  Not that often, though.

I believe it still exists, but it has changed a lot since then.

Do you also remember Alba?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/31/22 at 9:26 am

Do you also remember Alba?

I thought the name sounded vaguely familiar, but I google it and get nothing.  So, probably not  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/31/22 at 2:24 pm

I thought the name sounded vaguely familiar, but I google it and get nothing.  So, probably not  :-\\

https://ipcdn.freshop.com/resize?url=https://images.freshop.com/00013000028370/8e378be2109365f31f516493d6a677c0_large.png&width=512&type=webp&quality=90

It's a drink mix, but not sure when it came out?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/31/22 at 4:45 pm

https://ipcdn.freshop.com/resize?url=https://images.freshop.com/00013000028370/8e378be2109365f31f516493d6a677c0_large.png&width=512&type=webp&quality=90

It's a drink mix, but not sure when it came out?

From what I can find it looks to be introduced around 1977 as "Alba 77".  It appears it was introduced as a diet drink.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/01/23 at 3:26 pm

Remember the game, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots?  My family had a good friend family across the street, and their son was close in age to my slightly older brother.  When the neighbor friend got Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, I remember spending hours across the street at their house playing or (usually) watching the two plastic robots beat each other silly.  Fun!  I know the game has been revived, probably more than once.

Here's an original commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Y9IBnAcls

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/23 at 3:30 pm

Remember the game, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots?  My family had a good friend family across the street, and their son was close in age to my slightly older brother.  When the neighbor friend got Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, I remember spending hours across the street at their house playing or (usually) watching the two plastic robots beat each other silly.  Fun!  I know the game has been revived, probably more than once.

Here's an original commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Y9IBnAcls

I think we had just about every toy that was manufactured in the '50s-'60 since there were 6 of us but this is one that we did not have-but I remember it. "You knocked my block off!"

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/01/23 at 4:27 pm

One of my brothers had Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Robots in the seventies. I remember playing with them a few times. Although I thought these were made of metal (or the arm mechanism was at least)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/02/23 at 11:40 pm

One of my brothers had Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Robots in the seventies. I remember playing with them a few times. Although I thought these were made of metal (or the arm mechanism was at least)

It's possible my memory is fuzzy and they were actually metal.  However I do see two downsides to metal over plastic; one, they would make a lot more racket than I recall them making, and two, they could conceivably get dented in a short amount of time.

Written By: karen on 01/05/23 at 12:38 pm

Having done some further research we must have had some kind of knock off/copy as our didn’t have the boxing ring. They were two hand held boxing puppets

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/05/23 at 10:29 pm

Did anyone else watch the Mickey Mouse Club?  I confess I only watched it a little bit, having logistical issues picking it up.  (I actually recall mostly watching it during an extended visit with my grandmother in rural Michigan in spring 1965.)  I liked the show and its pageantry but I was usually eager for them to stop talking and get to the cartoons!  Nonetheless, it was pretty special to see.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/23 at 6:44 pm

Did anyone else watch the Mickey Mouse Club?  I confess I only watched it a little bit, having logistical issues picking it up.  (I actually recall mostly watching it during an extended visit with my grandmother in rural Michigan in spring 1965.)  I liked the show and its pageantry but I was usually eager for them to stop talking and get to the cartoons!  Nonetheless, it was pretty special to see.

I watched the repeats when they reshowed them in the early to mid-70s. I remember this one girl coming in to school with home made Mickey Mouse ears the day the repeats first aired.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/07/23 at 8:29 pm

I watched the repeats when they reshowed them in the early to mid-70s. I remember this one girl coming in to school with home made Mickey Mouse ears the day the repeats first aired.

Cat

I don't recall seeing it in the 70's.

Even though I only saw it a little (mostly over the few months I was visiting my grandmother at age 5) I recall that watching felt like a special event.  I'm not sure why...

Written By: Howard on 01/08/23 at 2:57 am

I don't recall seeing it in the 70's.

Even though I only saw it a little (mostly over the few months I was visiting my grandmother at age 5) I recall that watching felt like a special event.  I'm not sure why...

When did Mickey Mouse Club have it's final episode?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/08/23 at 2:41 pm

When did Mickey Mouse Club have it's final episode?

O0 Good question.  What I hadn't recognized is that when I watched it in '65, that was in syndication, as the original series ran '55 to '59.  (Not that I cared about that, especially at that time.)  I think that series went into syndication once more in the 70's.

I think there was one or more reboots of the show later on, but I don't have much info.  I got that from Google.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/09/23 at 11:01 pm

Who remembers the sheer fresh-ness of The Monkees when they came on the scene?  :D  They were brash, they were wacky, they were fun-loving and they made music - just exactly what this 6 1/2 year old adored when they burst onto the scene.  I watched eagerly with my older brother; they appealed to us right away.  Can't miss television for us in those days...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/23 at 3:32 am

Who remembers the sheer fresh-ness of The Monkees when they came on the scene?  :D  They were brash, they were wacky, they were fun-loving and they made music - just exactly what this 6 1/2 year old adored when they burst onto the scene.  I watched eagerly with my older brother; they appealed to us right away.  Can't miss television for us in those days...

I remember them well, I tried not to miss an episode, and would talk about them with friends at school.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/10/23 at 10:58 pm

I believe the Monkees were introduced at about the peak of the original "Batman" TV series with Adam West, plus also the "Get Smart" show which I also watched (despite that some of the themes were over the head of 6-year-old me).  Campy, campy, campy TV!  :)

(I guess I could look up the dates but I'm too lazy  ;D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/23 at 8:59 am

I believe the Monkees were introduced at about the peak of the original "Batman" TV series with Adam West, plus also the "Get Smart" show which I also watched (despite that some of the themes were over the head of 6-year-old me).  Campy, campy, campy TV!  :)
"Batman" was a must watch for me, and I remember seeing "Get Smart" even here in the UK.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/23 at 2:03 pm

I remember getting home from school and plopping down in front of the t.v. to watch Dark Shadows.

I rewatched the entire series a few years ago and even named my cat Josette after one of the characters. After all these years, I STILL LOVE Dark Shadows-the ORIGINAL. The movie sucked the big one and I didn't see the reboot.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/12/23 at 4:10 pm

I remember getting home from school and plopping down in front of the t.v. to watch Dark Shadows.

I rewatched the entire series a few years ago and even named my cat Josette after one of the characters. After all these years, I STILL LOVE Dark Shadows-the ORIGINAL. The movie sucked the big one and I didn't see the reboot.

Cat

Interesting about Dark Shadows.  I'm positive I heard of it but don't recall watching it.  It may have been opposite another show.  My "after school" TV treat was The B.J. and Dirty Dragon Show, but not until I was 8 or 9.  (It's possible you never heard of this, due to it's a regional Chicago show.)  I don't remember what I watched after school before that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/23 at 4:49 pm

Interesting about Dark Shadows.  I'm positive I heard of it but don't recall watching it.  It may have been opposite another show.  My "after school" TV treat was The B.J. and Dirty Dragon Show, but not until I was 8 or 9.  (It's possible you never heard of this, due to it's a regional Chicago show.)  I don't remember what I watched after school before that.

I looked up your B.J. and Dirty Dragon Show which aired 1968-1974. Dark Shadows aired from 1966-1971. There was some overlap.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/12/23 at 5:33 pm

I looked up your B.J. and Dirty Dragon Show which aired 1968-1974. Dark Shadows aired from 1966-1971. There was some overlap.

Cat

Indeed there was overlap.  I only could watch B.J. and Dirty Dragon until summer-1971 anyway, as when we moved to rural Michigan it became logistically difficult to pick up the TV station.  I was rather unhappy that I could no longer watch it.  :(

It's possible that before B.J. and Dirty Dragon, our after-school fave may have been F-Troop.  However I'm really not certain about the timing of the show.  I know I watched it then.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/14/23 at 9:36 pm

Who remembers the original G.I. Joe action figures?  They were fun.  My brother had at least one of these.  I recall when he had G.I. Joe and I had a Barbie doll (one, not dozens), we'd play with both of them together sometimes  :D  That old G.I. Joe had some pretty cool accessories, a helmet and guns and things.  Anybody remember?

Written By: Howard on 01/15/23 at 3:01 am

Who remembers the original G.I. Joe action figures?  They were fun.  My brother had at least one of these.  I recall when he had G.I. Joe and I had a Barbie doll (one, not dozens), we'd play with both of them together sometimes  :D  That old G.I. Joe had some pretty cool accessories, a helmet and guns and things.  Anybody remember?

I remember them from The 1980's when they introduced Sargent Slaughter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/23 at 9:47 am

Thank you, now there is a memory of childhood toy. I had an Action Man which was the UK version of G.I. Joe. The best memory I have with was we would throw it out of an upstairs window with a parachute attached to see if it survives the fall.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/15/23 at 1:37 pm

Thank you, now there is a memory of childhood toy. I had an Action Man which was the UK version of G.I. Joe. The best memory I have with was we would throw it out of an upstairs window with a parachute attached to see if it survives the fall.

A parachute?  LOL    ;D  :D  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/23 at 1:54 pm

A parachute?  LOL    ;D  :D  ;D

Best described as any old cloth available with strings attached

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/23 at 2:42 pm

I don't recall having on during the '60s but about 10 years or so when we were still in the business of buying junk and selling antiques, we got two boxes of vintage dolls from the '60s & '70s for about $45. My SIL who was at the auction with us thought we were nuts. ONE doll-yes ONE we sold for over $1000 (Blythe)!  :o :o :o Yes, we were doing the happy dance when that baby sold! SIL said, "Ok, I am now a believer". We sold a few other dolls from that lot including a second generation GI Joe doll. It had some condition issues like some broken fingers but we still sold it for about $31. If it was in better condition, it would have gone a lot higher-don't know if it would have gone as high as Blythe but you never know.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/15/23 at 9:32 pm

Best described as any old cloth available with strings attached

O0 Of course...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/15/23 at 9:35 pm

I don't recall having on during the '60s but about 10 years or so when we were still in the business of buying junk and selling antiques, we got two boxes of vintage dolls from the '60s & '70s for about $45. My SIL who was at the auction with us thought we were nuts. ONE doll-yes ONE we sold for over $1000 (Blythe)!  :o :o :o Yes, we were doing the happy dance when that baby sold! SIL said, "Ok, I am now a believer". We sold a few other dolls from that lot including a second generation GI Joe doll. It had some condition issues like some broken fingers but we still sold it for about $31. If it was in better condition, it would have gone a lot higher-don't know if it would have gone as high as Blythe but you never know.

Cat

I did notice that on eBay, most of the "vintage" GI Joe toys were going for a pretty penny.

Written By: karen on 01/16/23 at 3:01 pm

My son had an Action Man that came with a parachute as part of the costume (not in the sixties obviously)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 5:46 am

My son had an Action Man that came with a parachute as part of the costume (not in the sixties obviously)

I was given the original Action Man long before the accessory packs came out.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/23 at 9:25 am

... I had an Action Man which was the UK version of G.I. Joe. ...

I just googled the "Action Man" toy - it looked pretty awesome!  I noticed the parachute accessory and some other pretty cool ones too.  I'm sure some of the accessories came later.  But that was a pretty awesome toy to have in the 60's (or its equivalent G.I. Joe).  Who said we 60's kids didn't have some pretty cool toys!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/23 at 10:05 am

"Hands Down" and the rather odd "Cootie" were popular games in the 1960s.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1cAAAOSwqv9V53Pf/s-l400.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/50/8d/9b508dea0dc449f5ad4928e9bcc1b79b.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/23 at 10:17 am

"Chocks" was the first flavored, chewable multi-vitamin for children. Before the Flintstones ones.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMqmkJLDXfKyyrRSbUu016rvf98sDD9c4IsA&usqp=CAU

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/40/d8/88/40d888b89ee72e57656e42ea17f0487d.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 10:34 am

I just googled the "Action Man" toy - it looked pretty awesome!  I noticed the parachute accessory and some other pretty cool ones too.  I'm sure some of the accessories came later.  But that was a pretty awesome toy to have in the 60's (or its equivalent G.I. Joe).  Who said we 60's kids didn't have some pretty cool toys!  ;D

A thing my friend would do at that time with his Action Man was to push it around in a toy car and have the Action Man as a crash test dummy.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/23 at 1:09 pm

I remember commercials for these, but don't think we had them.  It's possible our neighbor friend had "Hands Down" as I vaguely recall playing it.  Not sure on the "Cootie" game.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/23 at 1:10 pm

A thing my friend would do at that time with his Action Man was to push it around in a toy car and have the Action Man as a crash test dummy.

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 1:15 pm

I can certainly say that these games were not available in the UK, they are totally unfamiliar to me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/23 at 1:50 pm

I remember commercials for these, but don't think we had them.  It's possible our neighbor friend had "Hands Down" as I vaguely recall playing it.  Not sure on the "Cootie" game.

I can certainly say that these games were not available in the UK, they are totally unfamiliar to me.

I didn't have "Cootie" but my cousins had it. It seemed to me that it was more fun just to sit and put the cootie together by yourself than to play the game.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/23 at 2:05 pm

We had Cootie.

I STILL have my Headache & Trouble games as well at Booby Trap-with WOOD tokens before they turned them plastic. Yeah, that wasn't a hazardous game was it?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/e7/1b/8fe71b15a5674d0ae855ee73170be66d.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Trouble_board_game_cover.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bwoAAOSwRLJgkLcK/s-l500.jpg

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 2:07 pm

We had Cootie.

I STILL have my Headache & Trouble games as well at Booby Trap-with WOOD tokens before they turned them plastic. Yeah, that wasn't a hazardous game was it?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/e7/1b/8fe71b15a5674d0ae855ee73170be66d.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Trouble_board_game_cover.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bwoAAOSwRLJgkLcK/s-l500.jpg

Cat
I had Booby Trap, I never liked the idea of catching your fingers in it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 2:26 pm

One game I remember having is Sorry, and Monopoly (of which I refused to play these days)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3ccAAOSwLvRhrTHb/s-l500.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/17/23 at 3:00 pm

How did you play Cootie?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/23 at 3:09 pm

One game I remember having is Sorry, and Monopoly (of which I refused to play these days)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3ccAAOSwLvRhrTHb/s-l500.jpg

We had Sorry, too.

Not from the '60s but from the '70s, when I was about 13, I asked for THREE things from Santa-a basketball, the 45 of Diana Ross' Theme from Mahogany, and the game of Battleship. I was SOOOO happy that Santa granted my 3 wishes. I don't know what happened to the basketball but I still have the 45 and the game.

And the game has Mike Lookingland (Bobby Brady) on the box. Worth a little bit but I couldn't part with it since I SOOOO desperately wanted it when I was 13.

https://1stopretroshop.com/item-photos/70s-vintage-Battleship-game-complete-all-of-the-plastic-battleships-1stopretroshop-nt426104-1.jpg

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/19/23 at 2:39 pm

We had the U.K. version of Cootie. I think it was called Beetle. The word/concept of cooties is not a thing in the U.K.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/23 at 2:44 pm

We had the U.K. version of Cootie. I think it was called Beetle. The word/concept of cooties is not a thing in the U.K.
Beetle seems to ring a bell with me.

A retro board game...

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71eXXsIh15L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...