inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Caption contest stuff... getting something ready for the site

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/12/05 at 2:49 pm

Here's how it's going to work initially.

1) Someone picks a picture they want people to caption, they put the URL and their name, email and password into a form and submit

2) The admin (me, though maybe someone else later) approves or rejects the suggested picture.

3) If approved, it goes up on the website, with a link to the picture and a link to submit a caption

4) Once 7 days have passed, the submission link is removed. 

5) The person who submitted the contest then uses their name/password to login and review the captions

6) Each caption has a text field next to it and a checkbox.  If it's a duplicate/spam/etc it gets a 0.  Otherwise 1-5 (higher the better)

7) There's also a checkbox, the contest runner gets to pick one winner (optional?)

8) The rated entries are then displayed on the caption page

The index will then be split in two, Open Contests and Closed Contest, sorted by date (newest to oldest)

I'll step in (or maybe a different editor) and do the voting if a submittor doesn't vote within a week.

Questions:

Should it be a scale of 1 to 5 like the rest of the voting on the site?

Is seven days for accepting entries too long?

Are people even interested in rating the submitted captions, or should there just be someone designated to handle the voting?

Should there be a comments page on the page once the votes have been given out?

I could potentially finish this by the weekend.  Finish as in, ready to begin testing with people on the messageboard.

Subject: Re: Caption contest stuff... getting something ready for the site

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/05 at 2:59 pm

Questions:

Should it be a scale of 1 to 5 like the rest of the voting on the site?

Is seven days for accepting entries too long?

Are people even interested in rating the submitted captions, or should there just be someone designated to handle the voting?

Should there be a comments page on the page once the votes have been given out?
I could potentially finish this by the weekend.  Finish as in, ready to begin testing with people on the messageboard.

1. Yes
2. 7 days is long enough.
3. I think rating is a good idea.
4. Yes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 3:00 pm

Sounds cool....  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/05 at 12:41 pm

It appears the people who submitted pictures either don't want to rank them, or aren't aware they are supposed to.

Maybe it would be better if someone wanted to review the submissions and pass judgement instead of anyone who submits a picture.

Check for new replies or respond here...