inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for opinions on new sections... grammatical errors, and answer songs

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/05 at 11:52 am

I've gotten a few emails from people suggesting the above two topics for new sections

First one...

Grammatical errors. Several people have suggested this over the past two years.  However, I think is way too broad a topic, especially considering that most music (rap especially!) is filled with grammatical atrocities. I don't think lyrics have to be grammatically correct, but maybe there's a smaller sub-sect of "ungrammatical" that could be focused on? Double negatives would probably cover a lot of songs "I don't not think so", or maybe just faulty agreement in number  "Each student must clean their own room" (their indicates multiple people, but the subject requires a singular pronoun). 

Maybe we should only allow a grammatical error report, when the line can be properly re-written with the same number of syllables? That way the argument can't be made, that the bad grammar was used for the sake of making the song "flow" OK.  That might be more interesting and less "prissy"  Sort of like a parody fragment (easy to code a new page using that code too!)

Second one...
Someone a long time ago also suggested answer songs.  This could be one or two things. 

The first would be based on just the song titles:  "Whenever, Whenever," Shakira is a  response to "Right Here, Right Now," Jesus Jones

and/or it could be based on lyrics: "Don't Let Him Shop Around," Debbie Dean is a response to "You Better Shop Around" Smokey Robinson.  That example is a case of a song that really was written as a response, but I was thinking it could be also for cases where it wasn't intended by the author to answer a song (which means, you could have an older song as an answer to a newer song).  The titles of the example also would work (as I imagine most answer songs probably would)

Subject: Re: Looking for opinions on new sections... grammatical errors, and answer songs

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/26/05 at 10:33 am

http://www.amiright.com/names/answers/

First new section.  Song titles you can use to answer other songs.

Subject: Re: Looking for opinions on new sections... grammatical errors, and answer songs

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 10:40 am

http://www.amiright.com/names/answers/

First new section.  Song titles you can use to answer other songs.

Sounds a bit like this PBG game

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8807.0.html

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/26/05 at 8:46 pm

Sounds a bit like this PBG game

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8807.0.html

cool... I didn't even know people were doing that on the site already.  Well it never hurts to mimic the a section of the site on the messageboard and vice versa

Written By: nally on 10/27/05 at 1:49 pm

cool... I didn't even know people were doing that on the site already. Well it never hurts to mimic the a section of the site on the messageboard and vice versa

Yeah...for example, on the PBG forum we have a "Song Title Collision Thread" which is very much like the "Proposed Duets" section on Amiright. Basicly it's just a combination of two song titles. :)

Modified to add the link.

Written By: alyceclover on 10/28/05 at 12:39 am

didn't know that about Shop Around, but smokey wrote Got A Job in response to the Silhouettes Get A Job....

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/05 at 2:25 pm

just spotted this game on the Board Games section:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,13548.0.html

For ages, I've been trying to think of something like this, but with the song lyrics of a song, like remove a word to make a new song, or something like that. 

I outta look through the board games board for more ideas for amiright to stealuse

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/05 at 2:43 pm

just spotted this game on the Board Games section:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,13548.0.html

For ages, I've been trying to think of something like this, but with the song lyrics of a song, like remove a word to make a new song, or something like that. 

I outta look through the board games board for more ideas for amiright to stealuse

Now that I think about it, that wasn't the idea I was trying to figure out for a section.  It was more along the lines of replacing a word in a song... just picking a random word, and then people would have to find songs where that word would make an interesting replacement.  I think it was inspired by the fortune cookie thing, where you're supposed to append the fortune with the phrase "in bed" (You find great fortune... in bed!)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/05 at 5:17 pm

I liked the idea so much, I went with three different versions

Remove One Letter
Add One Letter
Change One Letter

Written By: nally on 10/29/05 at 2:44 pm

I liked the idea so much, I went with three different versions

Remove One Letter
Add One Letter
Change One Letter

Just wondering...are you gonna need Editors for those pages too? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/29/05 at 8:52 pm

Just wondering...are you gonna need Editors for those pages too? ???

definitely... and the answers page I started last week too. 

Fussbudget submitted a ton of these last night, took me a while to get through them all.  Someone was bored I guess!

Still wondering if I should try the grammar page or not.  Also thinking about a music trivia section of some sort.  Not sure if the trivia would be funny or not though, 'fraid I'll just get a lot of useless crap.  Maybe I should make a fake trivia page.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/29/05 at 10:49 pm

definitely... and the answers page I started last week too. 

Fussbudget submitted a ton of these last night, took me a while to get through them all.  Someone was bored I guess!

:P :P :P  Sorry  ;D  I was terribly bored and I warn you, I have been bored again today  :) :) :)  More so !  :o

If you want an Editor for the Answer songs (if no-one else has already got it) I am happy to do it Chuck.  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/05 at 10:01 am

:P :P :P  Sorry  ;D  I was terribly bored and I warn you, I have been bored again today  :) :) :)  More so !  :o

If you want an Editor for the Answer songs (if no-one else has already got it) I am happy to do it Chuck.  :)

only fair that you should have to review them too... so that one is all yours once I set it up

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/30/05 at 8:49 pm

only fair that you should have to review them too... so that one is all yours once I set it up

OK, lemme know then. 

PS  Why do you think I got all mine in really early ?  ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...