inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lyrics anagrams? kind of like that... help me flesh out this idea...

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/03/05 at 1:01 pm

So I'm thinking of adding a section for people to create anagrams of performer names, and I was trying to think of a similar idea for lyrics.

The thought process though, was something more along the idea of taking a fixed number of lines for a song's lyrics, and scrambing the words to make a new set of lyrics, but using only those words. Rhyming would probably be impractical for something like that, and not sure about trying to match the pace either.

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone care to try it and see if it's even possible to make something interesting and/or humorous from the result?

Subject: Re: Lyrics anagrams? kind of like that... help me flesh out this idea...

Written By: Rex on 11/03/05 at 5:44 pm

You mean like taking the opening lines from the Mamas and the Papas song "Twelve-Thirty":

I used to live in New York City
Everything there was dark and dirty
Outside my window was a steeple
With a clock that always said twelve-thirty

and rearranging them like this:

Twelve-thirty in New York City, said a dirty clock outside a steeple
Everything there was always dark -
My window was,
And I used to live with that

Naaaah. Can't be done.

Subject: Re: Lyrics anagrams? kind of like that... help me flesh out this idea...

Written By: Red Ant on 11/03/05 at 7:56 pm

I tried and failed with a few songs with short lines because I kept arriving with two pronouns, articles, etc in a row or had to abandon rhyming, which is not good for parody (which is what we are basically doing here).

Luke would probably like this idea and be able to do something funny with it that does scan right as well as rhyme.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/03/05 at 10:43 pm

*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoink!*

I clicked here as soon as the first few letters of 'anagram' met my eyes.

Are you only anagramming words of a sentence or letters of the words? I'll have a crack at both in my spare time, our Jack the Ripper musical opens tonight so I'm pretty busy with that.

...oh, and all those essays due next week, I guess; them too.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/03/05 at 11:07 pm

A long, long time ago... I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

My, how can I remember that happy dance?
Maybe if I could still make time my chance...
Long ago, I had to be a long while.
And those people, they’d make me music that I knew; for a smile.

Check for new replies or respond here...