inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Front page redesign... possible new look

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/01/05 at 8:45 am

Back in July, I spent some time redesigning most of the underlying HTML code of the site, so I could roll out a new look at some point.  Here's a first attempt.  It's based closely on a template I found the other day.

http://www.amiright.com/index2.shtml

Still playing with the color schemes... this one is very khaki.  I might even just design a few, and then implement some sort of color picker for people to use. 

Subject: Re: Front page redesign... possible new look

Written By: Rex on 12/01/05 at 2:11 pm

Like it! On the left hand sections you have Band Search and New Features followed by the "regular" sections: Misheard Lyrics, Music Parody, Names, Real Lyrics, and Other Stuff. What do you think of ordering those regular sections by usage (if they are not already)? So, for example, if Music Parody is the most used, it appears before the others.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/02/05 at 7:08 am

I like it too.  A change once in a while is always nice, but apart from that it just looks neater to me  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 12/02/05 at 1:03 pm

I took a look at it as well. I hit refresh and still it appears with 3 and 4 words per line in tall, narrow vertical columns with a considerable amount of space not used on the sides. Forgive me Chucky, but IMHO it looks too much like a blog page with the new format. My browser may be processing it funky since no one else has mentioned this so far, or perhaps that is the way it is intended to look. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/02/05 at 1:47 pm

I took a look at it as well. I hit refresh and still it appears with 3 and 4 words per line in tall, narrow vertical columns with a considerable amount of space not used on the sides. Forgive me Chucky, but IMHO it looks too much like a blog page with the new format. My browser may be processing it funky since no one else has mentioned this so far, or perhaps that is the way it is intended to look. :-\\

There is a lot of whitespace on the left/right margins (which I don't care for and will probably remove). 

What screen resolution are you using? 800x600?  It might not look right at a low resolution, I haven't check it yet.

It's still an early mockup.  I'm looking for feedback before I do anything with it.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/02/05 at 2:42 pm

I'm in 1152 x 864 Red Ant, and it looks fine to me - I don't have the problem that you describe  :o

Written By: Rex on 12/02/05 at 3:01 pm

And I'm at 1280x1024 with no problems.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/02/05 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, increasing to 848x480 or better helped quite a bit, I generally stay in low res so I can more easily read print on the screen.

Written By: Josh2 on 12/03/05 at 3:15 pm

Nice

Written By: Gonfunko on 12/04/05 at 8:35 am

Looks good using Firefox 1.5 at 1680 x 1050, but the khaki's...ugh. How about using the colors from the site logo for the boxes? That'd make it look much less plain, and make the logo match better. I'd make the center portion white, but change the other shades in the boxes to blue, green and red.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/04/05 at 10:26 am

Looks good using Firefox 1.5 at 1680 x 1050, but the khaki's...ugh. How about using the colors from the site logo for the boxes? That'd make it look much less plain, and make the logo match better. I'd make the center portion white, but change the other shades in the boxes to blue, green and red.

yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the color scheme either.  I played with the site colors a bit, but they're a little strong to be used for background colors. 

Check for new replies or respond here...