inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New design changes - mockups

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/23/05 at 5:58 pm

http://amiright.com/index5.shtml

Here is a redesign of the underlying code of the site, it should look real similar to what is currently up there.  If it doesn't look right in your browser, let me know.

I'm going to use this as my template moving forward, so I need to know if there's any problems with it.

Hopefully, I'll come up with a new design for the whole site this weekend, and roll it out next weekend.  After that, I'll try and move it all to a new server.

Subject: Re: New design changes - mockups

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/23/05 at 7:38 pm

http://amiright.com/index6.shtml

here's the first spin of a new left navigation bar...

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/24/05 at 11:05 am

http://amiright.com/index7.shtml

almost there now... 95% finished.  Let me know if there's any problems with it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/24/05 at 2:54 pm

http://www.amiright.com/index8.shtml

this is it... the final one.  let me know if it looks screwy in your browser

Written By: Rex on 12/24/05 at 8:39 pm

http://www.amiright.com/index8.shtml

this is it... the final one.  let me know if it looks screwy in your browser

Looks fine on XP Home with Firefox.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/25/05 at 7:27 pm

The only problem I noticed is on the lastest comments there are a few comments not attached to URLs, ie no way to tell what the comment is on, though I'm suspecting it is the Photo contests. Here's one copy/pasted:

Josh 2 - December 25, 2005  7:00:09 PM - Report Inappropriate Comment
if I had netered I would gone with: Hmm...tastes like Chicken

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/25/05 at 8:03 pm

The only problem I noticed is on the lastest comments there are a few comments not attached to URLs, ie no way to tell what the comment is on, though I'm suspecting it is the Photo contests. Here's one copy/pasted:

Josh 2 - December 25, 2005  7:00:09 PM - Report Inappropriate Comment
if I had netered I would gone with: Hmm...tastes like Chicken

I was just talking about the homepage, not the rest of the site.  The comments with no links are the Captions.  I think the photoshops work now.

Written By: K1chyd on 12/26/05 at 11:47 am

Colours and buttons look just fine. Soft, smooth, readable, enjoyable to the eye, you name it. However I

Written By: Red Ant on 12/26/05 at 5:45 pm

Well rather than suggest a whole new page look/redesign perhaps a link right above "News and Events" that would read "New Song Parodies" that, when clicked, would auto-scroll down the front page to the newest update. This wouldn't require much new coding and perhaps would draw more casual visitors to the parodies, which I've noticed for some time are generally visited only by other parodists and not much by the public at large.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/26/05 at 9:41 pm

Well, I have been planning on a real over-hail of the front page.  The changes I did to this front page mockup, are really going to be reflected across the entire site, not just the front page.  So I'm not really interested in feedback about the arrangement of the sections, so much as I am interested in whether the columns display, the colors ok, etc.  I know I didn't state that though, and I certainly appreciate any feedback on the design of the front page though.  I see it pretty often, but I'm not looking for stuff, like visitors to the site are.

As for what belongs where, etc.  The parodies are actually less popular than the misheard lyrics, which are almost invisible on the home page.  Since I know people visit the site for those, I tend to view it like the generic brand ceral at the grocery store, and stick down lower on the shelves.  I try and put the stuff at the top that I'm trying to "pimp" at the moment, and build interest in.  Hence the reason the captions and news are at the top.

The news section never really became what I envisioned, so that is definitely going to see some major changes.

The photoshops, I like having them small and hard to make out, to encourage people to click on them and see the original and the comment section.  Not sure that it's have the desire effect of course.

I used to have every section of the site represented on the homepage.  Back when there were only 10 or so sections. The filesize of the homepage was 100K (which is very big for the first page of a site in 2002, before I changed it).  I think it's back up to that size again due to the number of parodies and the news/captions/photoshops.  I mostly changed it because the bandwidth surcharges were killing me, and making the page smaller meant less bandwidth.

I might try and do something where a single most recent entry shows up, with a link to see more for each section.  Not sure.

I do agree though, that it makes it hard for a first time visitor to figure out just what the heck is going on.  I'd say the content is just not 100% right yet.

Written By: adagio on 12/27/05 at 2:23 pm

The new design looks fine (and I like it) when I'm on Firefox, but on my AOL browser, there is only a white background with little green circles to mark what to look for.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/27/05 at 2:24 pm

The new design looks fine (and I like it) when I'm on Firefox, but on my AOL browser, there is only a white background with little green circles to mark what to look for.

hmmm... maybe it's caching the old style sheet.  Anyone else use the AOL browser?

Written By: adagio on 12/27/05 at 2:27 pm

And, btw, I used shift+refresh a number of times on the AOL browser.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/27/05 at 4:33 pm

And, btw, I used shift+refresh a number of times on the AOL browser.

What version of their browser are you using?

It's my understanding that the AOL browser is just repackaged Internet Explorer.  If that's the case, then it's either really, really old or it still has a cached version of the style sheet.

Written By: adagio on 12/27/05 at 7:26 pm

Chucky, I have IE 6.0, AOL browser, and Firefox.  All three are now working the same way...new version.  Thanks.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/27/05 at 8:16 pm

Chucky, I have IE 6.0, AOL browser, and Firefox.  All three are now working the same way...new version.  Thanks.

ok... good to know.

Written By: adagio on 12/30/05 at 1:20 pm

I noticed that the front page that is seen as soon as a person comes onto the site look really nice, but when the individual songs are clicked, there is only a narrow space for the parodies, most of which is talen up bu the ads on the right hand side.  IMO, it makes the parodies themselves harder to follow.  Is one of the aims to get visitors to read the 'new entry' parodies?

I checked it using Firefox and there was more room for each individual parody.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/30/05 at 4:16 pm

I noticed that the front page that is seen as soon as a person comes onto the site look really nice, but when the individual songs are clicked, there is only a narrow space for the parodies, most of which is talen up bu the ads on the right hand side.  IMO, it makes the parodies themselves harder to follow.  Is one of the aims to get visitors to read the 'new entry' parodies?

I checked it using Firefox and there was more room for each individual parody.

for some reason, it appears that all the amazon ads are now bigger, yet I didn't make any changes to that when I updated the look of the site.  I'll have to look into that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/30/05 at 4:34 pm

for some reason, it appears that all the amazon ads are now bigger, yet I didn't make any changes to that when I updated the look of the site.  I'll have to look into that.

looks like I accidently added a width in the style sheet to the amazon images, which made them 40 pixels bigger.  If you refresh the page it should look a little better.  The site is designed for a minimum of 800x600, so if your browser window is sized smaller than that, it'll always look cramped.

Written By: adagio on 12/30/05 at 5:27 pm

All fixed!  Thanks again.  :)  I checked...just barely made it with the 800x600 pixels.  When I went to the site, I didn't even have to refresh it, but did anyway.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/30/05 at 5:38 pm

All fixed!  Thanks again.  :)  I checked...just barely made it with the 800x600 pixels.  When I went to the site, I didn't even have to refresh it, but did anyway.

well, I sized it up some more too just to be safe.  The stuff in the left hand column of a page on an 800x600 screen will need a horizontal scroll, but otherwise it should be ok.  800x600 is a pretty small sized screen by today's standards, but at least I don't have to worry about 640x480 resolutions anymore!

Check for new replies or respond here...