inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "misrhymed lyrics"

Written By: docweasel on 04/29/06 at 7:22 am

This section of your site is pretty moronic, especially criticisms like:

Elton John's, "Your Song"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
I don't have much money
But boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where
We both could live

http://www.amiright.com/real/misartist/eltonjohn.shtml

Its called ASSONANCE you idiots, and its a valid rhyme form. Its rhyming the vowel sound. In fact, as a professional (published and signed) lyricist I often try to rhyme vowels rather than the hokey full rhymes of moon june swoon spoon etc.

You guys would have had a lot of problem with Yeats rhyming "swan" with "stone" in his classic poetry.

Subject: Re: "misrhymed lyrics"

Written By: Red Ant on 04/30/06 at 5:48 am

This is barely worth replying to, but what the hell.

This section of your site is pretty moronic, especially criticisms like:

Its called ASSONANCE you idiots, and its a valid rhyme form. Its rhyming the vowel sound. In fact, as a professional (published and signed) lyricist I often try to rhyme vowels rather than the hokey full rhymes of moon june swoon spoon etc.

Wow, so you started an account just to complain about a misrhymed lyric? I'm impressed. Everyone else just sends spam through my section.  ::)

I'm well aware of the types of rhymes used in songwriting and poetry. Depending on the source you site, or how you were trained, you will find anywhere from 6 to 40+ different types of rhymes.

Just to clarify for those that may read this post, most every type of rhyme (or flat out misrhyme) that isn't a perfect/full/true rhyme, or a variation thereof (like rich (homonym), scarce, double/triple, identical rhymes, etc. ) is accepted to the misrhymed lyrics section, provided the form is filled out correctly.

You guys would have had a lot of problem with Yeats rhyming "swan" with "stone" in his classic poetry.

Not really. It's a consonant head rhyme that also has the final consonant in common, but not a double consonant rhyme like "blackjack/joke", or a plain old consonant rhyme, like "cat/jet".

Check for new replies or respond here...