inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An idea for the voting system to curb the number of ignorant 1-votes

Written By: Jason on 10/06/06 at 4:14 pm

Dear ChuckyG

I had an idea to make the voting system fairer. What you could do is ask all the members to register with a valid email address, so when they place a vote, the vote will also carry the voter's information (such as name and email address) I suggested this because there seems to be a lot of incessant 1-voting on the site (mainly to spite others). For those who vote constructively, this shouldn't be a problem. And for those who love to upset others about unfair 1-voting, they would think twice about doing so if they knew their details will be carried along with the vote.

Subject: Re: An idea for the voting system to curb the number of ignorant 1-votes

Written By: Red Ant on 10/06/06 at 11:41 pm

I've always opposed a registration system to post comments or vote. While one might reduce the number of the fairly rare 111s, it most certainly would reduce the number of other votes as well.

It would also be hard to do since probably half of the authors on the site do not have messageboard accounts. Making people register IMHO will drive away the few remaining casual commentors and possibly a fair number of authors.

IP addresses are recorded when someone votes so that duplicate or chain voting is lessened.

Everyone gets 111s, so don't sweat it. 99% of them are comment-less anyway, and therefore meaningless.

Subject: Re: An idea for the voting system to curb the number of ignorant 1-votes

Written By: Jason on 10/16/06 at 1:25 pm

Hi Red Ant,

Thank you for your reply. Yet AGAIN I have been 1ed with no explanation.

ChuckyG, PLEASE can you track the IP addresses of those who keep voting 1s for no good reason, and warn them that they may face being banned from your site if they carry on. Its so unfair to get 1 votes for no good reason.

Regards. Jason.

Written By: Jason on 11/14/06 at 10:33 am

I was reading a post on the "Song Parodies" section and I saw that the top reason for parodies getting low votes was because of this Mr 1s person going around. Something came to mind today. ChuckyG, why don't you make it compulsory for anyone who voted 111 to give a constructive remark. If the person who voted all 1s says something like "Because the author is an idiot", or "you suck", or "i just felt like it", then the all-1 vote can be removed. I have seem to be the latest target for Mr 1s for some strange reason. And I noticed yesterday that Paul Robinson has been 1-ed as well.

Written By: Matthias on 11/14/06 at 10:35 am

I was reading a post on the "Song Parodies" section and I saw that the top reason for parodies getting low votes was because of this Mr 1s person going around. Something came to mind today. ChuckyG, why don't you make it compulsory for anyone who voted 111 to give a constructive remark. If the person who voted all 1s says something like "Because the author is an idiot", or "you suck", or "i just felt like it", then the all-1 vote can be removed. I have seem to be the latest target for Mr 1s for some strange reason. And I noticed yesterday that Paul Robinson has been 1-ed as well.

That's not going to work, because the people 1ing will not follow it

Written By: Jason on 11/14/06 at 4:01 pm

That's not going to work, because the people 1ing will not follow it

Matthias, I don't wish to insult your intelligence but I don't think you read my comment correctly. I said that what ChuckyG could do is add a feature so that it will be COMPULSORY for anyone who votes a straight triple-1 vote to leave a constructive comment, otherwise the vote doesn't get registered.

Written By: philbo on 12/08/06 at 4:31 am

Matthias, I don't wish to insult your intelligence but I don't think you read my comment correctly. I said that what ChuckyG could do is add a feature so that it will be COMPULSORY for anyone who votes a straight triple-1 vote to leave a constructive comment, otherwise the vote doesn't get registered.

How does one define a "constructive" comment, anyway?  All you'd get is a "nya nya nya nya nya" or equivalent, with a phoney name attached.

There's all sorts of technical possibilities, e.g. use cookies (IP address won't work, especially for AOL subscribers) to tie votes/comments/submitted parodies together so you can see who's been voting/commenting, but people like me would find that pretty easy to get round, too: there's four PCs so far in this house, so all I'd need to do is use one for dumping 1s on people and the other for my more legitimate site activity...

What it boils down to is that most of us have been hit by some anal-retentive a**hole at some time; most authors have probably felt a bit narked by it at some time (I did at one point when somebody seemed to be systematically going through all my parodies voting another set of 1s on each... I've also got one parody with more than 60 1s in each category - but that's nothing to what our Master Tong has), but also we get over it and realize that it's simply not worth the hassle getting worked up about it.

If you feel the 1s guy is getting to you, my recommendation is to write a parody about it to get it out of your system - there's been a few of those around recently (and I've just finished one myself ;))

Written By: Jason on 12/13/06 at 4:11 pm

I already have Philbo. See my parody "The Mr 1s". Its a parody of "James Blunt - You're Beautiful"

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 1:50 am

I know that 111 is a horror to any person who has worked hard on a parody, but there are always gonna be a jealous few who criticize when they can't do. Writing, whether it's parodies, or serious OS's, should be done just for the love of it. The rating shouldn't matter. If a couple of 1's slip through, look at the other comments being given. Although the 1's drag your average down, the general opinion of your parody will shine through with comments from people who actually enjoyed your work. Kinda makes the person giving out the 1's look like an idiot. 

Check for new replies or respond here...