inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New stuff for amIright?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/26/06 at 2:23 pm

The new year is almost here.  I'm going to move amIright (and the other decade sites) to a new server next month.  After that is done, I'm going to focus on revamping the decade sites.  However, before I revamp the decade sites, I'd like to get a few new sections up and running on amIright.

Here's some of the ideas I have for new sections:

Caption contests for music news (instead of pictures like the old section)
Songs that Spell out words
Made up words in songs
Former occupations (what they did before they were famous)
New occupations (what music performers are doing now)
Albums that are not named after a song
Songs which mention their name in the first line of the lyrics
Songs that don't contain their name in the lyrics
Ability to comment of misheard lyrics (probably not going to do this)
Latest topics on inthe00s listed on the homepage

comments on the above, or other suggestions more than welcome

Subject: Re: New stuff for amIright?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/26/06 at 2:28 pm

as for the news story captions.. I was also thinking of something like suggestions for muscians... like suggesting new jobs for K-fed, or songs for Gwen Stefani to rip off next or something.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/26/06 at 9:19 pm

How about  a column for decades on the author pages?

Written By: Michael P on 12/26/06 at 9:27 pm

How about an annual Amiright picnic? We could hold it in MacArthur Park.  We could serve American pie, and Bohemian food, in tribute to "Bohemian Rhapsody." Or an annual prayer service.  We could hold it in the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral -- you know, the site of the memorial service for the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Or a stakeboarding contest, in honor of "Sk8er Boi." How about wargames, in honor of the Major General? Just don't hold any of these things at a Y... MCA!

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/27/06 at 8:00 am

How about  a column for decades on the author pages?

certainly possible, my only fear of doing it is that the author pages are already pretty cluttered.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/27/06 at 8:08 am

certainly possible, my only fear of doing it is that the author pages are already pretty cluttered.
Oh yeah, true

Written By: Red Ant on 12/27/06 at 6:42 pm

The new year is almost here.  I'm going to move amIright (and the other decade sites) to a new server next month.  After that is done, I'm going to focus on revamping the decade sites.  However, before I revamp the decade sites, I'd like to get a few new sections up and running on amIright.

Here's some of the ideas I have for new sections:

Albums that are not named after a song
Songs which mention their name in the first line of the lyrics
Songs that don't contain their name in the lyrics

comments on the above, or other suggestions more than welcome

These three sections have the potential to generate a ton of entries (especially the last one), and therefore will probably need an editor with quite an extensive song knowledge background as well as a fair amount of time on his/her hands.

If you do add the ability to comment on misheard lyrics, please make sure there is also a URL to click on so I can wipe spam - the old photo caption contests do not have one, so bringing up the "latest comments" (which is fairly time intensive) is the only way to wipe those when they get spammed.

as for the news story captions.. I was also thinking of something like suggestions for muscians... like suggesting new jobs for K-fed, or songs for Gwen Stefani to rip off next or something.

There are songs left that Gwen hasn't ripped-off?  ;D

I do like the ideas for the new sections, and would add one more that I think would be entertaining:

Bad cover songs

I brought this up once before, and I believe you said something along the lines of 'other sites already have that', but I think adding this section would be great. I'll even volunteer to edit it.

And, holy crap, Michael Pacholek finally got an account here?  :o :o :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/07 at 7:16 am

I'm resolving to update every day of the week this year.  No more skipping a day on the weekend, unless I really have to. 

Skipping Sunday, usually means I have way too many to review on Monday morning

Written By: Jason on 01/01/07 at 11:31 am

Happy New Year ChuckyG

I think it would be a good idea for people to leave comments on misheard lyrics like they do on parodies.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/01/07 at 12:21 pm

If In The 00s.com is moved to a different server, then does that mean all of our posts will be deleted?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/07 at 1:07 pm

If In The 00s.com is moved to a different server, then does that mean all of our posts will be deleted?

inthe00s has already been moved, and no, it wouldn't mean that.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/03/07 at 11:52 am

How about "Songs that mention other bands/artists (including the artists themselves)"?

They Might Be Giants did a song for themselves, as well as "We're The Replacements".
Snow Patrol sings in "Arms Wide Open" about Sufjan Stevens.
Lynryrd Skynrd knocks Neil Young in "Sweet Home Alabama".
And of course, a slew of rappers "dis" other rappers.

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/08/07 at 4:49 am

Hi Chucky! OK, this may not be the best suggestion in the world, but I think you should make a section where users can combine song lyrics, and a section where users can name the lamest whatever-turned-singer, like the boxer Oscar del Hoya, who recently went into sining like his Filipino friend Manny Pacquiao...

Written By: skittlesking on 01/15/07 at 2:16 am

Oooh, Songs That Don't Contain Their Name in The Lyrics. . .I'd like to take that section as an editor if you need one.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/15/07 at 2:25 am

I see that everything has editors. . .I'm focused on my music anyway, probably for the better. . .but I will keep a spot open if you need it for any reason . . .for now, I think I'm bed-head ready.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/20/07 at 10:24 am

make a section where users can combine song lyrics,

you mean combine real lyrics from different songs? not sure if that would constitute fair use or not, could be shaky from a legal stand point.

and a section where users can name the lamest whatever-turned-singer, like the boxer Oscar del Hoya, who recently went into sining like his Filipino friend Manny Pacquiao...

totally excellent idea.  Surprised I didn't think of it sooner.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/20/07 at 10:25 am

How about "Songs that mention other bands/artists (including the artists themselves)"?

They Might Be Giants did a song for themselves, as well as "We're The Replacements".
Snow Patrol sings in "Arms Wide Open" about Sufjan Stevens.
Lynryrd Skynrd knocks Neil Young in "Sweet Home Alabama".
And of course, a slew of rappers "dis" other rappers.

I think this section already covers this:

http://www.amiright.com/real/celebartist/

but not 100% sure if people have submitted the above, or if maybe there needs to be a division between the two?

Check for new replies or respond here...