inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some sections I'm debating doing so far...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 7:22 pm

any thoughts on these section ideas?  these have been kicking around in my "maybe" file for quite some time now... I'm trying to add as many new sections this week as possible, and would like to include any that people think might be viable.

1) Is it possible to reuse all the words from a song or passage in a substantially different order to come up with an entirely new work?  Maybe four lines, reuse every word with none left over.

2) Performer anagrams?  Song anagrams?

3) Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run".

4) Strange trivia about a performer

5) replace a single word in a lyric line

6) opposites... replace a word in a song in order to make a song about the exact opposite? maybe generate too many

7) Albums that are not named after a song? I think this would have too many entries

I've struck out the ones Im not doing

Subject: Re: Some sections I'm debating doing so far...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/07 at 8:06 pm

any thoughts on these section ideas?  these have been kicking around in my "maybe" file for quite some time now... I'm trying to add as many new sections this week as possible, and would like to include any that people think might be viable.

1) Is it possible to reuse all the words from a song or passage in a substantially different order to come up with an entirely new work?  Maybe four lines, reuse every word with none left over.

2) Performer anagrams?  Song anagrams?

3) Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run".

4) Strange trivia about a performer

5) replace a single word in a lyric line

6) opposites... replace a word in a song in order to make a song about the exact opposite? maybe generate too many

7) Albums that are not named after a song? I think this would have too many entries

1) This would be quite time-consuming for the author (and perhaps the editor as well), but sounds quite interesting.

2) Sounds great, and I'm sure a few people, whose intials are Luke Brattoni, would LOVE this section.

3) Sounds great as well, though given the number of borderline illiterate comments that already accompany the submissions I have to edit, this could wind up being an editor's nightmare.

4) Verifying facts may be difficult, but I like the idea of this section a lot.

5) Not sure about this one: For the most part, I think the add a letter, change a letter, and parody fragments sections already cover this.

6) Every song with an absolute in the title could be entered. "Always a Woman" by Billy Joel could be "Never A Woman", etc. Lots of entries, but I think the creativity of entries for this section would be rather limited.

7) There would be tons of entries for this section. It would be interesting to see though, just as a section for song titles that aren't actual song lyrics (like "Smells Like Teen Spirit") would be.

I'm all for them save #5

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 8:48 pm

5) Not sure about this one: For the most part, I think the add a letter, change a letter, and parody fragments sections already cover this.

6) Every song with an absolute in the title could be entered. "Always a Woman" by Billy Joel could be "Never A Woman", etc. Lots of entries, but I think the creativity of entries for this section would be rather limited.

7) There would be tons of entries for this section. It would be interesting to see though, just as a section for song titles that aren't actual song lyrics (like "Smells Like Teen Spirit") would be.

5) I swear I saw a site do something interesting along these lines once, but have no idea what they did that made me take notice.  I went back awhile later and it was gone.  Maybe the fragments already does a good enough job of it.

6) I was thinking the same thing, too easy, too many similar entries. Probably going to skip this

7) I downloaded the Free CDDB database ages ago, I could probably just run a search against it to create this kind of list.  Not sure if a big database like that would really be all the fun.  I know for instance, Duran Duran's first four albums, only one had a song with the same title as the album.

I think before I do the others, I should try them out as threads on this board, to see whether people like doing them

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/30/07 at 12:50 pm

I'd be really curious to see this. The possibility also exists for 'charades', a favorite game of cryptic puzzlers, wherein the spacing of words makes a whole new statement.
(just an example!)

2) Performer anagrams?  Song anagrams?Can see some moments of clever satire here...songs might be too tough for many submissions

3) Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run". Sure, why not? ;D

4) Strange trivia about a performer Done in many other web sites and books, hard to verify such things

5) replace a single word in a lyric line To what end?

6) opposites... replace a word in a song in order to make a song about the exact opposite? maybe generate too many Yeah, too many

7) Albums that are not named after a song? I think this would have too many entries Yeah, too many.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/30/07 at 1:13 pm

1) I'd be really curious to see this. The possibility also exists for 'charades', a favorite game of cryptic puzzlers, wherein the spacing of words makes a whole new statement.
(just an example!)

hmm... that charades is kind of like what people do with domain names for domain name hacks, like del.cio.us or that joke site, pen island.com  Maybe that's a section worthy of it's own, like add or remove spaces.

There's a lot of these word game type things on the site when you think of it, like the add/remove/delete a space things. If you've got a site that lists out other games like that, I'd be interested in seeing what else might be appropriate.

2) Performer anagrams?  Song anagrams?Can see some moments of clever satire here...songs might be too tough for many submissions

yeah, performer anagrams is probably good enough, song anagrams is probably pushing it

3) Ungrammatical lyrics", other than "ain't" or double negatives.  the "ain'ts" would just be too numerous to mention.  One example- of a non-ain't grammar error  "he know just exactly what the facts is" from Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run". Sure, why not? ;D

I think with this one, the editor will need to spend a lot of time culling the boring comments

4) Strange trivia about a performer Done in many other web sites and books, hard to verify such things

band name origins are even harder to verify, and lots of stuff on the site has been done elsewhere.  The goal is do it better >grin<  I think it'll generate a lot of fun discussion

5) replace a single word in a lyric line To what end?

6) opposites... replace a word in a song in order to make a song about the exact opposite? maybe generate too many Yeah, too many

7) Albums that are not named after a song? I think this would have too many entries Yeah, too many.

I think i can safely rule thse 3 ideas out at this point.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/07 at 12:38 pm

I'm not sure this is going to be all that interesting.  I've tried a couple lines from some popular song refrains with rather lack luster results so far.

Not to mention, that if you start shuffling words between lines, all sense of meter & rhyme is gone, so I'm not sure the end result is all that interesting even if you do form new phrases.  Even when I changed just the words within a single line, it seemed like you wouldn't want to sing it the same way anyways.  Adding/changing words, just gets you into parody territory at that point, and that's pretty well covered by the site at this point. 

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 5:02 am

It would be interesting to see though, just as a section for song titles that aren't actual song lyrics (like "Smells Like Teen Spirit") would be.

I just spent quite a while on AmIRight looking for this section.  I was sure there would be one.  I checked out some song lyrics to make sure it didn't mention the title and everything!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 9:52 am

I just spent quite a while on AmIRight looking for this section.  I was sure there would be one.  I checked out some song lyrics to make sure it didn't mention the title and everything!

You mean a page of songs which don't have their title sung in the lyrics?  I never did that?  I think I was going to...

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 10:02 am

You mean a page of songs which don't have their title sung in the lyrics?   I never did that?  I think I was going to...

That's what I meant.  I couldn't spot it, unless you've called it something totally obscure

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 10:18 am

That's what I meant.  I couldn't spot it, unless you've called it something totally obscure

no, I think I forgot to do it.  Weird, because I know I wanted to, and I've got an organizer I keep all my cool new section ideas in... so how it got lost in the shuffle is beyond me.  I'll add it today.  I think wikipedia has a page with these songs too... or maybe not.  They've gotten rid of a lot of pages like that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 11:05 am

no, I think I forgot to do it.  Weird, because I know I wanted to, and I've got an organizer I keep all my cool new section ideas in... so how it got lost in the shuffle is beyond me.  I'll add it today.  I think wikipedia has a page with these songs too... or maybe not.  They've gotten rid of a lot of pages like that.

http://www.amiright.com/names/different-title/

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 3:51 am

http://www.amiright.com/names/different-title/

thanks!

Check for new replies or respond here...