inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New error page on amIright

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/19/07 at 11:23 am

when I used to build sites back in the mid 90's, I always included a 404 error message page.  Last few years I got super lax about it, wasn't even sure people still see them (IE tends to display it's useless messages instead).

I was checking a few out recently, and found a model i liked.. so here it is

404 Page

If you can think of something else that would be useful to someone navigating the site, let me know.

Subject: Re: New error page on amIright

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/27/07 at 4:31 pm

I have posted similar threads about this earlier...it seems to me that the system has been kicking me out with that 404 message every time I post a vote on a parody.  :o :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/27/07 at 6:25 pm

I have posted similar threads about this earlier...it seems to me that the system has been kicking me out with that 404 message every time I post a vote on a parody.  :o :-\\

give me a link to one that didn't work, maybe something's still wrong that I don't know about

unless it's the 403 thing... that's totally different

Written By: skittlesking on 04/28/07 at 7:41 pm

when I used to build sites back in the mid 90's, I always included a 404 error message page.  Last few years I got super lax about it, wasn't even sure people still see them (IE tends to display it's useless messages instead).

I was checking a few out recently, and found a model i liked.. so here it is

404 Page

If you can think of something else that would be useful to someone navigating the site, let me know.

Looks good to me

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/04/07 at 8:48 am

give me a link to one that didn't work, maybe something's still wrong that I don't know about

unless it's the 403 thing... that's totally different

I sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. This appears at the bottom of a parody page every time I click to comment after I vote:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /messageComment.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.amiright.com Port 80

The "Leave A Comment!" button becomes inoperable (colored grey). The message then pops up in a separate window on white background when I try to hyperlink to someplace else on the site, forcing me to exit out of the site altogether and start over. This is VERY frustrating! :-\\

Here is the link to the page where I recently had this occurrence, if it will help.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/bonnietyler35.shtml

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/07 at 9:45 am

I sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. This appears at the bottom of a parody page every time I click to comment after I vote:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /messageComment.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.amiright.com Port 80

The "Leave A Comment!" button becomes inoperable (colored grey). The message then pops up in a separate window on white background when I try to hyperlink to someplace else on the site, forcing me to exit out of the site altogether and start over. This is VERY frustrating! :-\\

Here is the link to the page where I recently had this occurrence, if it will help.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/bonnietyler35.shtml

that's the dreaded 403 error that's plaguing all my sites since the security upgrades.  Can you tell me which browser you are using? I know IE and Firefox aren't having a problem.

It could be a security issue too.. if you're using a firewall that's blocking referrer tags or something, that might cause a problem.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/04/07 at 11:51 am

Ah! Well...It is IE, I believe...but my company has a multitude of firewalls that crop up now and then. Things that used to be accessible suddenly NOT accessible is a way of life. (The bigwigs tried to block access to Myspace until they understood that it was an important aspect of our media research!).

Eh well, thanks for your time and attention, as always.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/07 at 1:07 pm

Ah! Well...It is IE, I believe...but my company has a multitude of firewalls that crop up now and then. Things that used to be accessible suddenly NOT accessible is a way of life. (The bigwigs tried to block access to Myspace until they understood that it was an important aspect of our media research!).

Eh well, thanks for your time and attention, as always.

that at least gives me a clue as to where the problem lies.  up until now I suspected it might just be a Mac/Safari problem.

Check for new replies or respond here...