inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New comment system coming tomorrow

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/07 at 2:48 pm

I got a working prototype thrown together today and tested it out.  Saturday will be the roll out of the system.

I expect things I didn't plan for to break. >grin<

Hopefully all will be up and running 100% by the middle of the afternoon on Saturday.

Subject: Re: New comment system coming tomorrow

Written By: skittlesking on 03/31/07 at 2:16 am

I got a working prototype thrown together today and tested it out.  Saturday will be the roll out of the system.

I expect things I didn't plan for to break. >grin<

Hopefully all will be up and running 100% by the middle of the afternoon on Saturday.

Most of the time things that break aren't intended to break . . .:) 

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/07 at 12:39 pm

Well, it's all in place now.  So if you have any problems leaving comments on anything, be sure to let me know.

I think the performances section wasn't working properly for a little while, when I went to change it over, it looked like none of the new performances had comments enabled.

Written By: Jason on 03/31/07 at 4:48 pm

Hi ChuckyG

I saw the new 'security system' for the leave comments section. Just out of interest, what made you implement a system where you have to type a given 'code' prior to your comment being accepted, as it seems that is a bit long-winded leaving a comment now.

Also what do you think of this idea for the voting system? You could replace the 1-5 scores with worded comments such as 'Poor', 'Average', 'Reasonable', 'Very Good' and 'Excellent'.

Jason.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/07 at 5:02 pm

Hi ChuckyG

I saw the new 'security system' for the leave comments section. Just out of interest, what made you implement a system where you have to type a given 'code' prior to your comment being accepted, as it seems that is a bit long-winded leaving a comment now.

Also what do you think of this idea for the voting system? You could replace the 1-5 scores with worded comments such as 'Poor', 'Average', 'Reasonable', 'Very Good' and 'Excellent'.

Jason.

The site was getting hammered with spammers just randomly filling in the submit forms, sometimes picking an older parody and dumping dozens of comments on it in a single day.  Almost every site on the web has these image "captcha" systems now as a result.

I don't think I want to change the voting system labels right now.  I'm probably going to change it next to make it a little more modern looking, but that's it really.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/07 at 5:02 pm

I haven't seen any spam in the past 24 hours... that's progress right there.

I sure hope no one is having problems leaving comments.  Not sure if I'll hear complaints from anyone if they are or not.

Written By: wildcard on 04/01/07 at 5:53 pm

I've used it and it works great for me. 

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/16/07 at 8:40 am

I sure hope no one is having problems leaving comments.  Not sure if I'll hear complaints from anyone if they are or not.

Hi Chucky

firstly, I like how the comment immediately appears without needing a refresh - I always comment then vote, so that saves a lot of time - (in Australia we have ADSL, not real broadband)

but...the security code thing is a hassle

I can see why you need it and it's great to not have to wade thru spam, but is it possible to use a 2-digit code instead of a 6-digit code?  I'm sure it would have the same effect, and would be so much easier for us commenters.  Having to memorise the 6 digit code then pick out all 6 different letters is a task - memorising 2 digits isn't

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/07 at 10:53 am

Hi Chucky

firstly, I like how the comment immediately appears without needing a refresh - I always comment then vote, so that saves a lot of time - (in Australia we have ADSL, not real broadband)

I can see why you need it and it's great to not have to wade thru spam, but is it possible to use a 2-digit code instead of a 6-digit code?  I'm sure it would have the same effect, and would be so much easier for us commenters.  Having to memorise the 6 digit code then pick out all 6 different letters is a task - memorising 2 digits isn't

I've seen three digit ones on sites, and I've heard that most people can memorize three digits easily.  I'll check the settings and see what I can do.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/07 at 10:56 am

3 digits is way easier... just tried it, works across the entire site.  I'm sure that will be strong enough for the time being.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/17/07 at 10:48 am

Something freaky is going on, ChuckyG. This has popped up, on the screen where a published comment would be revealed, twice today while attempting to leave comments (i haven't had this problem ever before, yet this occurred since you changed the security codes to 3 characters):

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Additionally, when attempting to refresh the page from that point, the server bounces me out of Amiright.com altogether with a full error message page (the full text follows--)
Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.amiright.com Port 80

Is it firewalls on my company's Intranet, or something on your end? :o :o :o

EDIT: It sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't happen. I went back to the pages that I attempted to enter the comments on, and now they work.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/07 at 10:59 am

Something freaky is going on, ChuckyG. This has popped up, on the screen where a published comment would be revealed, twice today while attempting to leave comments (i haven't had this problem ever before, yet this occurred since you changed the security codes to 3 characters):

Forbidden

Additionally, when attempting to refresh the page from that point, the server bounces me out of Amiright.com altogether with a full error message page (the full text follows--)
Forbidden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.amiright.com Port 80

Is it firewalls on my company's Intranet, or something on your end? :o :o :o

EDIT: It sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't happen. I went back to the pages that I attempted to enter the comments on, and now they work.

not related to the comment system.  It's some stupid thing my hosting company installed and it appears to still be causing issues.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/17/07 at 11:31 am

Thanks, just needed reassurance it wasn't on my end.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/07 at 1:08 pm

Thanks, just needed reassurance it wasn't on my end.

it shouldn't be.  All I know is the "upgrade" I ordered last week for the servers is causing more issues than it'll solve

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/18/07 at 10:34 am

And these issues are worse than yesterday...I'd say about every 2nd click on Comments ilicits the error message, as of this writing.  >:(

Written By: nally on 04/18/07 at 2:34 pm

I've used it and it works great for me. 

Works great for me too. O0

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/18/07 at 8:44 pm

anyone miss the time next to the date on the comments?  is it important?  It's not hard to add in, I just didn't think it was really needed

Written By: nally on 04/18/07 at 9:42 pm

anyone miss the time next to the date on the comments?  is it important?  It's not hard to add in, I just didn't think it was really needed

yeah, I noticed the time stamp was missing from the date on the comments. I suppose you could insert it, but I don't think it's all that relevant in the long run.

Check for new replies or respond here...