inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Superlong pop songs (split from remove parody topic)

Written By: Jason on 05/03/07 at 5:12 pm

Well ChuckyG I must admit the reason why it got a lot of comments, is simply because its American Pie, which is a very difficult song to do a parody of.

Jason.

Subject: Re: Admins...this parody should be removed

Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 9:13 pm

Well ChuckyG I must admit the reason why it got a lot of comments, is simply because its American Pie, which is a very difficult song to do a parody of.

Jason.

Well it is a very long song. Probably one of the longest songs ever recorded. I have heard the whole thing a few times, but I do not know it very well. If I tried to write a parody of it, it might take me weeks or even months.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/07 at 9:43 am

Well it is a very long song. Probably one of the longest songs ever recorded. I have heard the whole thing a few times, but I do not know it very well. If I tried to write a parody of it, it might take me weeks or even months.

longest recorded?  even in pop music that isn't true.  Woody Guthrie's "Alice's Diner" comes to mind for very long songs.  American Pie is just more popular.

Written By: nally on 05/07/07 at 11:53 am

longest recorded?  even in pop music that isn't true.  Woody Guthrie's "Alice's Diner" comes to mind for very long songs.  American Pie is just more popular.

I said "one of the longest recorded"...not "THE longest." You're right, AP is more popular.

As for really long pop songs, CCR's rendition of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" comes to mind; that one's at least 9 minutes long. :o

Written By: skittlesking on 05/08/07 at 9:22 pm

I said "one of the longest recorded"...not "THE longest." You're right, AP is more popular.

As for really long pop songs, CCR's rendition of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" comes to mind; that one's at least 9 minutes long. :o

Oh, and Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" is just shy of 10

Written By: EthanM on 05/09/07 at 11:42 am

Rapper's Delight hit the top 40 at about 14 minutes and 3000+ words. Also, isn't in-a-gadda-da-vida 17 minutes long but with relatively few words?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 11:50 am

Rapper's Delight hit the top 40 at about 14 minutes and 3000+ words. Also, isn't in-a-gadda-da-vida 17 minutes long but with relatively few words?

In-a-gadda-da-vida is indeed super long, the album version is an entire side of an LP record

I think I need to make a section for these types of songs on amIright...

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/09/07 at 5:07 pm

Devotion to Accuracy Dept: Arlo Guthrie recorded "Alice's Restaurant"..a cool 17.48 minutes or so of rambling. Boy that band had to be pretty friggin' tired of vamping.  :D

Long songs include "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, 23.53, beating their own "Atom Heart Mother" by a few seconds.

Here's details on the world's longest pop song, as verified by Guiness...
http://www.nutscape.com/ChrisButler/guinness.htm
Sample and lyrics here: http://www.futurefossilmusic.com/devil.htm

EDIT: I expect Johnny D, Spaff, Red Ant, or Kristoff to write out the parody within a few months of viewing this page.  ;D

Subject: Re: Superlong pop songs (split from remove parody topic)

Written By: EthanM on 05/09/07 at 5:28 pm

Isn't a certain amount of airplay and...um...popularity required for a song to qualify as a pop song? Otherwise couldn't someone match a pop beat with an epic poem and call that the world's longest pop song?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 8:52 pm

Isn't a certain amount of airplay and...um...popularity required for a song to qualify as a pop song? Otherwise couldn't someone match a pop beat with an epic poem and call that the world's longest pop song?

what would they record it to?  I guess with the web that's less of a concern...

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/09/07 at 8:53 pm

Devotion to Accuracy Dept: Arlo Guthrie recorded "Alice's Restaurant"..a cool 17.48 minutes or so of rambling. Boy that band had to be pretty friggin' tired of vamping.  :D

ugh... knew I'd screw that up...

Written By: Red Ant on 05/09/07 at 10:36 pm

Long songs include "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, 23.53, beating their own "Atom Heart Mother" by a few seconds.

Here's details on the world's longest pop song, as verified by Guiness...
http://www.nutscape.com/ChrisButler/guinness.htm
Sample and lyrics here: http://www.futurefossilmusic.com/devil.htm

EDIT: I expect Johnny D, Spaff, Red Ant, or Kristoff to write out the parody within a few months of viewing this page.  ;D

That song doesn't look much harder than doing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall, varying each verse, 5 times over, heh heh. Peter Andersson is clearly the man for this job!  :o

A group project could work, but I don't think I could sit through reading 500 lines of text set to 70 minutes worth of music. Something that big might not even fit the submission form on Amiright.

Written By: Tia on 05/09/07 at 10:56 pm

american pie is sorta tough to parody, i'd think, cuz it's quite sincere. alice's restaurant is sorta already parody.

Subject: Re: Superlong pop/rock songs (split from remove parody topic)

Written By: nally on 05/09/07 at 11:04 pm

american pie is sorta tough to parody, i'd think, cuz it's quite sincere. alice's restaurant is sorta already parody.

Well, it has been done close to a hundred times on amiright.com... and I don't know the song too well (like I've said), which is why I haven't commented on the parodies yet.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/07 at 10:54 am

That song doesn't look much harder than doing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall, varying each verse, 5 times over, heh heh. Peter Andersson is clearly the man for this job!  :o

A group project could work, but I don't think I could sit through reading 500 lines of text set to 70 minutes worth of music. Something that big might not even fit the submission form on Amiright.

With all of the talents that we have here, there is no reason why this shouldn't be done as a group project (I was thinking the same thing, last night before falling asleep :D). And if necessary, it could be split in half if there is spacing issues...if someone starts it, I would be glad to jump in and contribute (i can't do that right now...if i don't see it later, I'll make a thread)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/10/07 at 11:51 am

With all of the talents that we have here, there is no reason why this shouldn't be done as a group project (I was thinking the same thing, last night before falling asleep :D). And if necessary, it could be split in half if there is spacing issues...if someone starts it, I would be glad to jump in and contribute (i can't do that right now...if i don't see it later, I'll make a thread)

there might be a length maximum for the software. I think there was a problem with it before when someone sent in something super long

Written By: nally on 05/14/07 at 1:56 pm

Rapper's Delight hit the top 40 at about 14 minutes and 3000+ words.

Rappers Delight is that long? :o :o I thought it was maybe 6 or 7 minutes. I gotta hear the whole thing again someday and get out my stopwatch.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/15/07 at 5:03 pm

Re: Rapper's Delight--
One time, at around midnight, our local, wacky "We Play Anything" formatted radio station played the whole thing. Yes, it was about 15 minutes or so.It was a lot of fun to catch it uninterrupted, but I  have no need to hear it ever again.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...