inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: request for permission to start a separate amiright charts site

Written By: EthanM on 05/18/07 at 11:03 am

I couldn't handle the technical aspects of setting up such a site, but I believe that my roommate can and he's out of work at the moment so he should have time for it. I'm writing this from work now, so I have plenty of time too. My idea isn't to bring back the charts as they were, but to base charts solely on overall votes and to establish separate charts for different types of parodies. There would be an inevitable element of competition, which parody writers are free to ignore, but the main point would be to make it easier for people to find parodies that they'd want to read out of the approximately 50,000 parodies on amiright at the moment. I'd also like to have little articles talking about charting parodies, especially new ones to hit the charts.

A charts site would not replace the contests - the contests would be a great way to earn a place on the charts.

This would be an incredible amount of work, but I think in the end it'd be worth it.

Subject: Re: request for permission to start a separate amiright charts site

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/07 at 11:13 am

I couldn't handle the technical aspects of setting up such a site, but I believe that my roommate can and he's out of work at the moment so he should have time for it. I'm writing this from work now, so I have plenty of time too. My idea isn't to bring back the charts as they were, but to base charts solely on overall votes and to establish separate charts for different types of parodies. There would be an inevitable element of competition, which parody writers are free to ignore, but the main point would be to make it easier for people to find parodies that they'd want to read out of the approximately 50,000 parodies on amiright at the moment. I'd also like to have little articles talking about charting parodies, especially new ones to hit the charts.

A charts site would not replace the contests - the contests would be a great way to earn a place on the charts.

This would be an incredible amount of work, but I think in the end it'd be worth it.

The only way that could possibly work, is if you hit every parody on the site you are tracking everyday... I'd rather not see that kind of traffic on the server, it would slow things down quite a bit.

just the existence of the charts will create cheating, and complaints to me about it. the only person you should need to compete against is yourself.

Written By: EthanM on 05/18/07 at 11:35 am

I didn't know about the traffic issue...you should know more about that than me.

I believe charts to be more about exposure than anything else, and the creativity spurred on by competition outweighs the complaining in my opinion, but I don't have to deal with the actual whining.

Would it be feasible to sort search results by what chart rank the parodies would have if the charts existed? That might help, but that might cause cheating too.

If there was a n easy solution i suppose something would've been done about it within the past few years.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/18/07 at 11:53 am

I didn't know about the traffic issue...you should know more about that than me.

I believe charts to be more about exposure than anything else, and the creativity spurred on by competition outweighs the complaining in my opinion, but I don't have to deal with the actual whining.

Would it be feasible to sort search results by what chart rank the parodies would have if the charts existed? That might help, but that might cause cheating too.

If there was a n easy solution i suppose something would've been done about it within the past few years.

I apologize, but are you suggeting actually ranking the song based on total number of votes cast?  If that is the case, well, that's one heck of a project but perhaps if it was done weekly as oppossed to daily, you can look at each parodists' page to see how many votes a song has gotten, but wow, that'd be a very tough project to pull off. . .good luck if you go that route. . .it would be very interesting.

Written By: EthanM on 05/18/07 at 12:25 pm

The old charts were based on a formula combining voting score with votes cast, which wasn't a problem with a script that was in place. The problem was that occasionally people would try to cheat the system for whatever reason and Chucky got tired of that.

It doesn't look like I'm going to be trying anything at the moment as far as charts/ranks are concerned.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/07 at 12:30 pm

Didn't we vote on this a few weeks ago and people were fairly indifferent to the idea?

I'm sure I can revive the old scoring script, it's floating around somewhere. 

I'm just more focused at the moment on the decade sites, there's a lot of work needed on the scripts that run it, not to mention a need for a total web design overhaul of the 70s and 90s sites. I don't want distractions from that unless I know there's a real demand for it.

Even if I bring it back, it's going to go in the author's section, not on the front page or even the parody index pages. 

Written By: EthanM on 05/18/07 at 12:50 pm

I don't think there's any reason to work on charts before the decades sites right now.

I'm not sure how it would work to have charts in the author section, so I'm not sure if that would help with exposure.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/07 at 3:22 pm

I don't think there's any reason to work on charts before the decades sites right now.

I'm not sure how it would work to have charts in the author section, so I'm not sure if that would help with exposure.

that's just it.  If I bring them back, I don't want it used for exposure.  If it's a means for exposure for parodies, it will definitely be abused

Check for new replies or respond here...