inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The site is back for good now... you may or may not be able to see it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/09/07 at 12:47 pm

Basically, the backup of the site was from Tuesday evening.  So parodies submitted and approved for Wednesday might not have been captured.  Anything submitted while the site was up/down on Thursday are gone.

If you see a message at the top of every page about Central Mass residents, that's the new server and you should be able to submit parodies and leave messages.  If you still see the message about not submitting, or the security images aren't present, your ISP hasn't discovered the new IP addresses yet, and you may have to wait a day or two to see the new site.

Subject: Re: The site is back for good now... you may or may not be able to see it.

Written By: skittlesking on 06/09/07 at 2:07 pm

Thank you;)  4th time a charm I hope on "Nimrod Rock". . .thanks for everything Chucky, good luck with the new server.

Subject: Re: The site is back for good now... you may or may not be able to see it.

Written By: lpg_unit on 06/09/07 at 7:12 pm

Thanks, Monsieur Chucky, you guys made my day...

Written By: philbo on 06/10/07 at 5:35 am

Am I imagining things, or is it running several times the speed of the old server?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/07 at 6:42 am

Am I imagining things, or is it running several times the speed of the old server?

yes, it's much quicker than the old one.  It may be caused by fewer people able to see the site right now, won't know for sure for a couple more days.  At some point inthe00s will be on there too, which may cause it to slow down as well. 

The old server was an AMD-ATHLON-D-3800 (2.4Ghz) with 2 gigs of RAM.  The new one is a P4 Dual Core 2.8GHz with 1 gig of RAM.  The old one should have been close in speed, but if the network stunk, or it was poorly configured, that could make a large difference.

Written By: philbo on 06/10/07 at 5:04 pm

The new one is a P4 Dual Core 2.8GHz with 1 gig of RAM.

Apache/Linux?  Does that need anything special to utilize dual core technology?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/07 at 5:38 pm

Apache/Linux?  Does that need anything special to utilize dual core technology?

Not sure to be honest with you.  I don't think Apache is optimized for dual core technology, and while I'm sure there are variants of Linux that are, I can't say if this one is or not.

Written By: lpg_unit on 06/10/07 at 8:11 pm

Or Debian GNU/Linux, right? The online RPG Second Life uses that Linux distro in its servers; you might consider arming your new rigs with a better security system, I might ask my fellow Grand Theft Auto gamers about that matter; they have a website that might utilize such technology...

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/07 at 9:19 pm

Or Debian GNU/Linux, right? The online RPG Second Life uses that Linux distro in its servers; you might consider arming your new rigs with a better security system, I might ask my fellow Grand Theft Auto gamers about that matter; they have a website that might utilize such technology...

I think it was CentOS Linux.  The new server is almost fully managed.  The company I rent for gets an extra $50 a month to apply all the latest patches and upgrades as they come out.  Has a firewall, virus scanner, etc.  Way more advanced than the old one, it should be fine.  Trust me, I'm paying more than twice the cost of the old server, if this one isn't totally secured, I'm going to raise holy hell with the hosting company.

I researched this company a lot more than the last one, and some pretty large heavy hitters use this company.  The other company on the other hand... yikes.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/11/07 at 9:24 am

Good job Chucky! No...EXCELLENT job, Chucky!  8) 8)

The best thing is not being kicked out with 404s after voting on parodies. That is a sweet relief!

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/11/07 at 9:55 am

Good job Chucky! No...EXCELLENT job, Chucky!  8) 8)

The best thing is not being kicked out with 404s after voting on parodies. That is a sweet relief!

I think you mean 403s, and I'm glad that issue died with the old server.

I should have moved sooner, this was a costly lesson for me all the way around.

Check for new replies or respond here...