inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New sections on amIright - I'll be updating this list as the day goes on

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/07 at 9:22 am

With the software redesign for the site a couple months ago, it made it easier for me to start new sections on the site.  I spent some time Monday making it even easier, so I'm going through my "ideas" pages for amIright and throwing them all up today.  Some may be better than others, and there may be typos in descriptions, etc.  I'll update the list as I progress through the notebook. I think it's going to be around a dozen new sections by the end of the day.

Scary Lyrics
Add or remove space from a song title
Bad Grammar in lyrics
Band Name Anagrams
Song Title Anagrams

Real Places Mentioned in Songs
Songs That Are Banned

How to Pronounce a Band Name

Super Long Pop Songs
Super Short Pop Songs

The Bad Grammar page may be too encompassing, if someone can think of a more interesting way of making that more limited (maybe specific bad types of grammar) let me know.

Subject: Re: New sections on amIright - I'll be updating this list as the day goes on

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/15/07 at 12:13 pm

The Bad Grammar page may be too encompassing, if someone can think of a more interesting way of making that more limited (maybe specific bad types of grammar) let me know.

Double Negatives ("Ain't Nobody")

Pronoun Trouble (title inspired by Daffy Duck's revelatory statement in the classic Chuck Jones-directed cartoon "Rabbit Seasoning". :D) --->"We was/I were" "I be", "You is"...

Subject: Re: New sections on amIright - I'll be updating this list as the day goes on

Written By: Step-chan on 06/15/07 at 8:35 pm

I love the Banned Song section...

Particulary because of a pretty deep love of prodding controversy and censorship.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/07 at 10:09 pm

I love the Banned Song section...

Particulary because of a pretty deep love of prodding controversy and censorship.

there's already a few lists of that nature on the web, but hey, one more couldn't hurt right?

Written By: thing-amy-whatsit on 06/20/07 at 4:51 pm

Double Negatives ("Ain't Nobody")

Pronoun Trouble (title inspired by Daffy Duck's revelatory statement in the classic Chuck Jones-directed cartoon "Rabbit Seasoning". :D) --->"We was/I were" "I be", "You is"...

There are too many songs with double negatives for that idea to be acceptable.

They are used all the time in songs for poetic licence.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/20/07 at 5:04 pm

Super Long Pop Songs

Great idea, but in your prologue to that page, you state that Pink Floyd's "Echoes" is an instrumental. Not so.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine.

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the wheres or whys
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb toward the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can

And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks and no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes
INCITING and INVITING me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
And so I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

Maybe you were thinking of "Atom Heart Mother" which is about 5 seconds shorter than "Echoes" and, apart from the wacky choral gibberish in the middle section written by Ron Geesin, there are no lyrics.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/20/07 at 5:48 pm

Great idea, but in your prologue to that page, you state that Pink Floyd's "Echoes" is an instrumental. Not so.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine.

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the wheres or whys
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb toward the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can

And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks and no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes
INCITING and INVITING me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
And so I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

Maybe you were thinking of "Atom Heart Mother" which is about 5 seconds shorter than "Echoes" and, apart from the wacky choral gibberish in the middle section written by Ron Geesin, there are no lyrics.

I know, you sent in a submission about it.  I thought I changed the description to omit it afterwards. 

I'm trying to stick to tracks that would be considered for airplay, stuff issued as singles.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/21/07 at 8:29 am

I know, you sent in a submission about it.  I thought I changed the description to omit it afterwards. 

I'm trying to stick to tracks that would be considered for airplay, stuff issued as singles.

Didn't see the change when I had looked. I assumed my submission got lost in the shuffle, no big deal.

I agree, we should be talking about "everyday" radio airplay, not special occasions on classic rock stations when the DJ is allowed to go crazy after midnight or something. One station here in Chicago plays Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Masacree" (clocking in at about 17:50 or so) on Thanksgiving, but *never* in the rest of the year. Of course, I did submit The Who's "Miracle Cure' (:11) on the Short Song side, and **that** rarely gets airplay, too. So...I dunno. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...