inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Auuuugh! Chucky change it back!

Written By: Michael Pacholek on 07/03/07 at 3:00 pm

I apologize for using a technical term like "Auuuugh," but Chucky, PLEASE fix it! Take the authors' pages and return them to listing their parodies in alphabetical order again, instead of chronological order! It's SO much better that way!

Subject: Re: Auuuugh! Chucky change it back!

Written By: wildcard on 07/03/07 at 9:14 pm

I liked it better in alphabetical order too. 

Written By: Rex on 07/03/07 at 10:52 pm

Really? Every time I went to my author page, the first thing I did was re-sort in chronological order.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/03/07 at 11:00 pm

Really? Every time I went to my author page, the first thing I did was re-sort in chronological order.

I'd be interested in hearing the different ways people prefer it sorted.  Maybe I'll make two sets of pages, one sorted by parody title and one chronological.

Any comments on the vote/comment links?  useful or useless?

Written By: Jason on 07/04/07 at 4:23 am

I find the alphabetical listing easier to read than the chronological listing.

Jason.

Written By: Rex on 07/04/07 at 7:57 am

Any comments on the vote/comment links?  useful or useless?

I don't pay much attention to votes, but it's nice to be able to see the comments there on the author page. Is there any type of notification to let an author know when someone adds a comment to a parody?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/04/07 at 2:23 pm

I don't pay much attention to votes, but it's nice to be able to see the comments there on the author page. Is there any type of notification to let an author know when someone adds a comment to a parody?

I've been thinking about doing something for that.  Maybe something that lists all the comments for the past X days.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/05/07 at 8:03 am

Yes, please alphabetize the lists again.

I do like the options of seeing ratings and/or comments, though, as well as the average.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/05/07 at 9:22 am

I changed it back... going to work on the vote totals a little bit too.  It might be a bit messed up looking today since I'm still working on it. 

If I were running a truly professional site, I'd set up a test version and do my changes there. But I'm not...  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/05/07 at 10:02 am

It wasn't as bad as I thought. 

Voting totals are back in there, but the voting sum at the bottom of the listing isn't there (and won't be appearing on the author indexes either). 

The neat thing about the votes... they will update as votes come in.  However, if you don't have any votes registered for a parody, votes will be delayed.  Basically, once a vote gets registered, the next time the authors page is updated it will then begin updating on the author's page.

Also the comments and vote breakdown thing was breaking the sort function.  So rather than remove the comment ability, I removed the sort function for now.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/05/07 at 2:01 pm

Is there still a link to see all the comments to your parodies? I like that link, but I can't find it!

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/05/07 at 4:47 pm

Is there still a link to see all the comments to your parodies? I like that link, but I can't find it!

I removed the "all parodies with comments"... you know have to click them all individually.  I wasn't sure if anyone was using it.  I can fake it out with a javascript function to show all comments at once if you like.

Written By: skittlesking on 07/05/07 at 8:09 pm

I like being able to sort between chronological and alphabetical. . .sometimes I'm looking for my newest or oldest parody, others I'm looking for the alphabetical.  I'm never looking to see which one has the highest score in individual categories or what not, but the chronological and alphabetical are both valid and sometimes needed sorting orders. . .Chronological makes it difficult to find one particular song, alphabetical makes it hard to pick the newest works by authors to read.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/05/07 at 9:30 pm

I removed the "all parodies with comments"... you know have to click them all individually.  I wasn't sure if anyone was using it.  I can fake it out with a javascript function to show all comments at once if you like.

That would be nice, but since I don't even go on amiright anymore, that would be fruitless and a waste of your time!

Written By: Jason on 07/06/07 at 5:15 pm

Any chance you can re-instate 'sort column' function please? eg clicking on the Date submitted rearranges the list into chronological order and likewise with the Title column; alphabetical order please? I find that function really helpful and would love to have it back please.

Jason.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/06/07 at 9:55 pm

Any chance you can re-instate 'sort column' function please? eg clicking on the Date submitted rearranges the list into chronological order and likewise with the Title column; alphabetical order please? I find that function really helpful and would love to have it back please.

Jason.

I'm planning on making it into seperate pages, which would break the sort thing entirely anyways.  What I'm going to do instead is make a second set of pages which are sorted chronologically as well as the parody sort.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/07 at 1:46 pm

I removed the comment/vote links and put the sorting back on.

The extra links made the pages 4 times larger than they were to begin with!

I'm still mulling over changes to add functionality.  It would help if people let me know what they use it for the most.

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/09/07 at 11:13 pm

It would help if people let me know what they use it for the most.

I'll tell you what I *would* use the most. How 'bout some way to find the most recent comments given to an author?

If I comment on a two-year old Alvin Rhodes parody and he doesn't happen to see it in the sitewide Latest Comments during the few days it's there, he'll miss it forever. (Unless he happens to check the exact parody I commented on - and since he's got over 1000 parodies, the odds aren't very good he'll do that.) If he can search his latest comments, though, we're both happy.

I don't know if something like this would be too taxing on your servers (or your brain), but if it's possible it would be peachy keen. Either way, thanks for all you do.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/09/07 at 11:23 pm

I'll tell you what I *would* use the most. How 'bout some way to find the most recent comments given to an author?

If I comment on a two-year old Alvin Rhodes parody and he doesn't happen to see it in the sitewide Latest Comments during the few days it's there, he'll miss it forever. (Unless he happens to check the exact parody I commented on - and since he's got over 1000 parodies, the odds aren't very good he'll do that.) If he can search his latest comments, though, we're both happy.

I don't know if something like this would be too taxing on your servers (or your brain), but if it's possible it would be peachy keen. Either way, thanks for all you do.

xoxox
Spaff

Or like "Show new replies on your posts" on inthe00s... Just show the comments you've yet to click on the link to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/07 at 9:11 am

xoxox
Spaff

I had a feeling that might be something people wanted... it can certainly be done, but the way the software is currently written, it's a bit tough. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/07 at 2:03 pm

I've got something up there now.  Tells you the last time a particular parody was commented on.  Check the "Latest Comments" link on the main index page.  I might move the link to the actual author's page.  Depends on how much it gets hit too.

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/10/07 at 10:21 pm

I've got something up there now.  Tells you the last time a particular parody was commented on.

Sweeeeet. We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: philbo on 07/12/07 at 1:19 am

That's great, Chucky... and scroll down to the bottom, it highlights all those parodies nobody's bothered to comment on ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/12/07 at 8:34 am

That's great, Chucky... and scroll down to the bottom, it highlights all those parodies nobody's bothered to comment on ;)

yeah, that's always a shame to see.  Of course it also doesn't differentiate between comments allowed and no comments, so on William Tong's page for instance, almost all of them are no comments.

Written By: Michael Pacholek on 07/13/07 at 2:20 pm

Thank you, Chuck.  I apologize for not getting to this sooner.  With my twin nieces having been born and crazy things happening at work (the boss went to Italy for 2 weeks and we had a storm and blackout on Wednesday), this is the first chance I've gotten to thank you for setting back the way it was.

I also want to thank the guys who agreed with me.  I love you guys.  In a male-bonding, guys-night-out kind of way, that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with THAT, either!

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 7:12 pm

Thank you, Chuck.  I apologize for not getting to this sooner.  With my twin nieces having been born and crazy things happening at work (the boss went to Italy for 2 weeks and we had a storm and blackout on Wednesday), this is the first chance I've gotten to thank you for setting back the way it was.

I also want to thank the guys who agreed with me.  I love you guys.  In a male-bonding, guys-night-out kind of way, that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with THAT, either!

I have twin nieces too!

Written By: Max Power on 07/14/07 at 2:14 pm

You finally posted.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/23/07 at 1:05 pm

I've got something up there now.  Tells you the last time a particular parody was commented on.  Check the "Latest Comments" link on the main index page.  I might move the link to the actual author's page.  Depends on how much it gets hit too.

That is a sweet feature. Already found out that somebody commented on something that was already 3 years old! 8)

Say, Chuck, what is the "H" chart in the authors' statistics? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/07 at 2:31 pm

That is a sweet feature. Already found out that somebody commented on something that was already 3 years old! 8)

Say, Chuck, what is the "H" chart in the authors' statistics? ???

Hits... parodies now have their hits displayed.  It's not super accurate, it records a new hit every time a new IP address loads the page.  So multiple views from the same address won't register, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...