inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Trivia Category - Your Suggestions

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/06/07 at 2:33 pm

We got the new category on the site, might as well cook up some more sections and fill them up!

here's two I'll be adding later:

Music Performers With Handicaps
Music Performers Charged With Crime

Anything factual about groups that could be applied to multiple groups, and is unusual or interesting.  Clearly criminal behavior by famous people is interesting (and can be funny).  Handicaps, some are not as noticeable as others, so that might make for an interesting list. For example a lot of people don't know that Stevie Wonder plays drums on his early albums (there's a you tube clip showing him doing it during a live performance that is fantastic).

Subject: Re: Music Trivia Category - Your Suggestions

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/08/07 at 1:01 pm

Bandmates Who Hate(d) Each Other (eg. Police, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Oasis, Kinks, Spinal Tap ;))

"One Man" Bands (eg. The The, Nine Inch Nails, Iron & Wine, Bright Eyes)

Hidden Messages (backwards masking, etchings in vinyl LPs, hidden/secret tracks--I know I suggested it before for some other occasion)

Don't know what to title this concept, but I am thinking  of totally weird novelty tunes by well-known "serious" artists...oddball filler & B-sides like "Cobwebs & Strange" by The Who, "Benny The Bouncer by ELP, "Friends" by The Police, or "You Know My Name" by The Beatles.

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/07 at 2:55 pm

How about ...

Spin-off bands: members from one band who leave to form another band ?
or members from one band who leave to join an already existing band ?
or members from one band who also had a solo career ?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/08/07 at 3:29 pm

Bandmates Who Hate(d) Each Other (eg. Police, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Oasis, Kinks, Spinal Tap ;))

not sure how to quantify that... The Beatles for instance... even at their worse I don't think they ever hated each other, they just couldn't work with each other.  If that's the criteria, than probably every band that ever broke up despite having a contract is probably ripe for mention.

"One Man" Bands (eg. The The, Nine Inch Nails, Iron & Wine, Bright Eyes)

Hidden Messages (backwards masking, etchings in vinyl LPs, hidden/secret tracks--I know I suggested it before for some other occasion)

I think I shot it down originally because I didn't have a category, or maybe because there are other sites doing it.  I've got several books on it, always been a pet interest of mine.  Not sure if just listing out tracks with hidden tracks does the subject matter justice or not, but I guess we can give it a go. Maybe split it into two categories, Intentional and Unintentional. Hidden tracks is a cool idea too.

Don't know what to title this concept, but I am thinking  of totally weird novelty tunes by well-known "serious" artists...oddball filler & B-sides like "Cobwebs & Strange" by The Who, "Benny The Bouncer by ELP, "Friends" by The Police, or "You Know My Name" by The Beatles.

that's a cool idea too... the Lighter Side of Serious Bands

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/08/07 at 3:32 pm

How about ...

I've got a "better off solo" category already which kind of covers the last one.  The other two.... hmmm.  Bands gain and lose members all the time, that could be a giant section.  Maybe a tighter definition of some sort would make it more interesting...

just thinking about it makes me think a "Bands that changed their name" would be interesting in the names section.  Not talking about names before a recording contract, although that would be interesting too.

Written By: KKay on 08/08/07 at 3:42 pm

band family trees.

have you ever seen the one that comes with the peter gabriel album?  it goes from him to kate bush to phil collins to paul weller....

also, muscians in movies.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/08/07 at 3:43 pm

How about ...

That would entail the entire history of rock and roll, methinks.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/08/07 at 3:45 pm

band family trees.
have you ever seen the one that comes with the peter gabriel album?  it goes from him to kate bush to phil collins to paul weller....

As your post points out, it's been done before, and it has been done by much more reliable formats than this site could be capable of.

Written By: KKay on 08/08/07 at 3:46 pm

As your post points out, it's been done before, and it has been done by much more reliable formats than this site could be capable of.

true.  perhaps that will just be a good game to play. the whole six degrees thing.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/08/07 at 4:01 pm

I'm sure I could code something that could be reliable (report function for miscategorized stuff, assign an editor to just work on that and nothing else, etc).  An idea doesn't have to be totally unique for the site, but something that's cut and dried like that can be found pretty easily in a lot of music reference sites.

Musicians in movies... already got a section for that.  http://www.amiright.com/names/actors/ unless you're thinking of something different.

Check for new replies or respond here...