inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Medals on the winning SOTM parodies.

Written By: Jason on 08/13/07 at 7:12 pm

Just an idea that I thought of that would increase the incentive to submit a parody for the SOTM contests.

On the parody that comes first in a SOTM contest, why not include the image of a gold medal in it, so when one reads the parody, they can quickly see it came first in a SOTM contest, i.e if you was to 'mouse over' that medal, a pop-up would show "First place in the August 2007 SOTM contest". Silver and bronze medals could be awarded for second and third place respectively. I just thought this would encourage even more fantastic parodies to be submitted for SOTM contests, even though Stuart McAurthur, Kristof Robertson and Red Ant would probably get the most (gold) medals!

Jason.

Subject: Re: Medals on the winning SOTM parodies.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/13/07 at 10:30 pm

Just an idea that I thought of that would increase the incentive to submit a parody for the SOTM contests.

On the parody that comes first in a SOTM contest, why not include the image of a gold medal in it, so when one reads the parody, they can quickly see it came first in a SOTM contest, i.e if you was to 'mouse over' that medal, a pop-up would show "First place in the August 2007 SOTM contest". Silver and bronze medals could be awarded for second and third place respectively.
Jason.

Johnny D made medals for SOTM and ABC contests up until late 2005. Dave makes them now for Artistry competitions, but SOTM and ABC have been sans picture medals for a while now. It's a lot of work to Photoshop 9 custom medals a month (6 for ABC, 3 for SOTM)... I wish I had the time and skill to continue the great work JD did with them.

Perhaps you could make them now, SOTM anyway.  ;)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd want a pop-up (or description) of winning parodies with the medal. ChuckyG would have to go back and modify the SOTM parodies since 2004 that have earned medals: that's roughly 100 parodies. I'm sure the coding is possible, but 'tis a lot of work from a man we already get so much from. Not to mention a good number of those parodies are w/o a picture medal to "pop-up".

There is a thread with all the SOTM medalists here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=1709.0

I just thought this would encourage even more fantastic parodies to be submitted for SOTM contests, even though Stuart McAurthur, Kristof Robertson and Red Ant would probably get the most (gold) medals!

Thanks for the kind words, Jason, but SOTM is so competitive there's no guarantee as to who will win, or even place. 2006 saw 9 different gold medalists in as many months. I predict 2007 will not be much different.

What we need is cash prizes: 1 million dollars to the winner. I'm sure we'd have the biggest SOTM fields ever, heh heh.  ;D

Ant

Written By: Jason on 08/14/07 at 5:22 am

Thanks for your reply Jack,

Johnny D made medals for SOTM and ABC contests up until late 2005. Dave makes them now for Artistry competitions, but SOTM and ABC have been sans picture medals for a while now. It's a lot of work to Photoshop 9 custom medals a month (6 for ABC, 3 for SOTM)... I wish I had the time and skill to continue the great work JD did with them.

Perhaps you could make them now, SOTM anyway.  ;)

Well I could design some medals for the SOTM contests since I have Photoshop, but I have no idea how to insert them into the appropriate SOTM winning parodies as I don't know anything about HTML code. Im sure yourself or ChuckyG could do so, but then that would mean increasing your workload.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd want a pop-up (or description) of winning parodies with the medal. ChuckyG would have to go back and modify the SOTM parodies since 2004 that have earned medals: that's roughly 100 parodies. I'm sure the coding is possible, but 'tis a lot of work from a man we already get so much from. Not to mention a good number of those parodies are w/o a picture medal to "pop-up".

Yea that is right. You know in Windows when you mouse over certain icons, you get that yellow pop-up box that has the brief description of the icon. Thats the idea I had for the SOTM parodies when you mouse over the medal. Not a large description, just a brief one that says "First Place August 2007 SOTM Contest". As I said before, it was just an idea I had. I wouldn't want to place unnecessary work on yours or ChuckyG's shoulders.

Thanks for the kind words, Jason, but SOTM is so competitive there's no guarantee as to who will win, or even place. 2006 saw 9 different gold medalists in as many months. I predict 2007 will not be much different.

What we need is cash prizes: 1 million dollars to the winner. I'm sure we'd have the biggest SOTM fields ever, heh heh. 

Yea I agree SOTM is very competitive. Im still trying to come nearer to the top of the leaderboard! I know yourself, Kristof and Stuart are one of the most established authors on this site and the parodies by the said authors are very good indeed. At least im sort-of catching up in a way with my latest works.

I would like to see a £1,000,000 million prize offered to the winning SOTM author! Now THAT would be a great incentive! Im sure ChuckyG could direct enough advertising traffic to his website to fund that prize!

Regards,

Jason.

Written By: EthanM on 08/29/07 at 2:12 am

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with a ten pound reward for winning sotm...except maybe whoever has to give up the money

Check for new replies or respond here...