inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did you discover this place?

Written By: Dylan Baranski on 09/12/07 at 5:02 pm

I'm curious as to how people (besides ChuckyG) found out about this website. If you have a story to share, post it here!

Me, I discovered this place in the summer of '06 (possibly July/August). My mom told me that there was a word for misheard song lyrics, so I decided to look it up. I found out that the term was "mondegreen", and one of the first links I found was this website. Initially, I enjoyed looking at the misheard lyrics for Nirvana's song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (there's a lot of funny ones for that song, by the way), but eventually, I discovered the Song Parodies section. I had some thoughts about parodying songs, so I put 2 and 2 together, and that's how my parody writing career got started. Eventually, I discovered the other sections (Pseudonyms, Band Name Oriigins, Nonsensical Lyrics, etc...) & made contributions to those sections as well.

On that note, I'd like to thank ChuckyG very much for making one of the best websites in the world! I would also like to give many thanks to the other people who make contributions to the website! Thank you all! You guys make the world a better place to live in! Keep up the good work!

Subject: Re: How did you discover this place?

Written By: lpg_unit on 09/13/07 at 1:59 am

I'm curious as to how people (besides ChuckyG) found out about this website. If you have a story to share, post it here!

Me, I discovered this place in the summer of '06 (possibly July/August). My mom told me that there was a word for misheard song lyrics, so I decided to look it up. I found out that the term was "mondegreen", and one of the first links I found was this website. Initially, I enjoyed looking at the misheard lyrics for Nirvana's song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (there's a lot of funny ones for that song, by the way), but eventually, I discovered the Song Parodies section. I had some thoughts about parodying songs, so I put 2 and 2 together, and that's how my parody writing career got started. Eventually, I discovered the other sections (Pseudonyms, Band Name Oriigins, Nonsensical Lyrics, etc...) & made contributions to those sections as well.

On that note, I'd like to thank ChuckyG very much for making one of the best websites in the world! I would also like to give many thanks to the other people who make contributions to the website! Thank you all! You guys make the world a better place to live in! Keep up the good work!

Me? I've discovered this site after a Google search on parodies of Black Eyed Peas songs. It was July of 2004, and after some browsing, I submitted my first parody under a different pseudonym... Since then I've became a frequent contributor here...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/13/07 at 9:10 am

I was searching a fact about something having to do with the 80's...and I stumbed upon this site....I've been here ever since...and it will be 3 years in January. :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/13/07 at 10:59 am

It's kinda funny how I found this place ... 

Someone who doesn't like me too much had mentioned inthe00s in a thread on a messageboard where I had infamously been banned from.  I saw the thread, followed the link, and I've been here ever since! LOL

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/13/07 at 11:17 am

It's kinda funny how I found this place ... 

Someone who doesn't like me too much had mentioned inthe00s in a thread on a messageboard where I had infamously been banned from.  I saw the thread, followed the link, and I've been here ever since! LOL

^
With enemies like that .... 'who needs friends?'  :-\\ ::) :P

I'll bet you're  leaving the bulk of your estate to them as 'thanks'!  :D ;D

Written By: EthanM on 09/14/07 at 6:59 pm

It was June of 2002 and I was playing literati over at Yahoo. My name there was - and still is - songparodywriter, and someone that I was playing against asked me if I had submitted any of my song parodies to amiright.com. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out and submitted a few parodies. Then I found inthe00s through a link on amiright.

Written By: wildcard on 09/14/07 at 7:51 pm

I needed an activity and something to boost my confidence last year.  I put in the word parody and found Amiright.  After a while The message board got moved over here and I decided it's time to sign up.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/14/07 at 10:33 pm

Random Googling for obscure lyrics.  I think it was either MC 900 Foot Jesus' Straight to Heaven or Interferon (aka Intaferon)'s Get Out of London.  Most database-oriented lyric sites have decent lyrics for the songs everyone's heard of, but for some of the harder-to-decipher songs, they often fall flat.  There are tracks for which message boards and collaboration are the only way to figure out the correct lyrics.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/15/07 at 12:02 am

Through Amiright. I didn't get really interested in inthe00s.com until two things though: Peter Andersson's comment here and Step-chan's challenge to me (or mine to him, can't remember now) on who was the better alternative parodist.

I knew about Amiright, via the misheard lyrics part of the site, quite a while before I posted my first parody. I eventually found it again around the middle of February 2005 and submitted my first parodies.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 09/15/07 at 6:19 pm

Same as Red Ant, I found these boards through Amiright. I found it in 2004, when I was searching a parody of Walk Like An Egyptian(a co-worker told about a dirty parody to the song).

Went through Google to find the parody and that's what led me to Amiright which led me to an eventual register as a member of the boards.(This happened because of my first parody, I accidently submitted it twice, I was still getting used to using computers at the library)

Before that I just went around looking at different sites, most usually also had video game sections which was why I went to them(Sites like seanbaby, encyclopedia-obscura, gamefaqs and nesplayer).

Edit:(See Red Ant's comment) You started the challenge. ;)

On the first day this parody was up

Written By: bwnorx on 09/23/07 at 10:36 pm

i remember how i stumbled upon it.  Years ago i would often hear a great song on the radio by some band but never knew what it was.  I was pretty young, (10 or so) so didnt really know how to research it.  I did know that the song had the line in it:

"get your rock salt, get your rock salt, honey"

So, one day it popped in my head and i searched for that lyric on google.  It brought me to a page that had tons of misheard lyrics on it, and that was one of them.  I learned that it was actually "get your rocks off" rather than "rock salt."  Best of all, the site informed me of the actual title and artist!

I immediately downloaded it....errrr, i mean, bought the album ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/24/07 at 1:11 am

Years ago i would often hear a great song on the radio by some band but never knew what it was. 
I immediately downloaded it....errrr, i mean, bought the album ;)

bwnorx ... eh?  >:(  .. yeah ... and we know what you mean! Your ip address has been logged, and forwarded to the appropriate authorities!  >:(

:P ;) :D ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 09/26/07 at 10:45 pm

I found it because I love the 70's! I really do! ;)

Written By: philbo on 10/02/07 at 12:03 pm

I'm trying hard to remember what first brought me to amiright - I have a feeling it was a point when kissthisguy.com was down, and I was trying to find a misheard lyric.  Then I realized here was a place to submit parodies - I'd a dozen or two written, but apart from the ones I'd been performing for a while, nothing done with them.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

I found it because I love the 70's! I really do! ;)

In that case, do you like Bell-Bottomed Flares, by any chance?

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/07 at 4:45 pm

I think I was looking for info on a movie and stumbled across it. This was back in '99. Then I forgot about it until November of 2001. I joined up, and have been here off and on ever since.

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/07 at 1:19 pm

I was looking for copies of the movies Seven in Darkness and The Longest night but I didn't know the titles of the films them. People helped me with the titles... I still don't have the movies but I have been a fan ever since. No one in my life likes to talk about pop culture as much as I do. In fact I think I scare them sometimes so its nice to have company here

Check for new replies or respond here...