inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Same name, different song.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/07/07 at 4:23 pm

I have a good section that can be used. It's called "Same title, different song". For example, The Beach Boys released 'Good Vibrations', but Marky Mark released 'Good Vibrations' as well. Both have the same title, but the song is different.

Would this be a new good category?

Subject: Re: Same name, different song.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/07 at 4:29 pm

I have a good section that can be used. It's called "Same title, different song". For example, The Beach Boys released 'Good Vibrations', but Marky Mark released 'Good Vibrations' as well. Both have the same title, but the song is different.

Would this be a new good category?

excellent category... I'll add it to my list of sections I plan on adding.  maybe in a few days

Written By: nally on 10/07/07 at 4:33 pm

excellent category... I'll add it to my list of sections I plan on adding.  maybe in a few days

oh yes...there are numerous "recycled" song titles out there. I've even done a few quizzes in the Penguin Quiz forum involving these...as well as on AmiWrong.

Written By: skittlesking on 10/07/07 at 4:39 pm

I think Holiday by Madonna and then Green Day has also been done by two or three other bands--so I can see that working.

Written By: nally on 10/07/07 at 4:43 pm

What if 3 or more acts performed a song with the exact same name? For example, there are many songs out there simply titled "Angel"...one by Sarah McLachlan, one by Aerosmith, one by Rod Stewart, one by Shaggy, one by Jon Secada, and maybe one or two others.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 4:55 pm

don't forget Beautiful. All are different songs done by Christina Aguillera, Snoop Dog, &  Amanda Perez

Written By: skittlesking on 10/07/07 at 6:13 pm

In the above cases (and Holiday) I guess technically that would allow for a whole lot of entries

IE The Above Example

Christina Aguilera & Snoop Dogg
Christina Aguilera & Amanda Perez
Snoop Dogg & Amanda Perez

Angel
Sarah McLachlan & Aerosmith
Sarah McLachlan & Rod Stewart
Sarah McLachlan & Shaggy
Sarah McLachlan & Jon Secada
Aerosmith & Rod Stewart
Aerosmith & Shaggy
Aerosmith & Jon Secada
Rod Stewart & Shaggy
Rod Stewart & Jon Secada
Shaggy & Jon Secada

Written By: skittlesking on 10/07/07 at 6:14 pm

Wonder how many "Star Spangled Banners" artists there are?  ???

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/07 at 6:49 pm

Wonder how many "Star Spangled Banners" artists there are?  ???

Thousands, but it's all the same song, so I don't think it would qualify.

Hmm, let me think of a few....

"Alone" - Downface, Heart, Pearl Jam, Live, Blink 182, Avril Lavigne
"Alive" - Pearl Jam, POD, Drain STH
"Black" - Pearl Jam, Drain STH
"Wake Up" Mad Season, Korn, Hilary Duff

Great idea for a section, MrCleveland.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/08/07 at 9:57 am

from a technical point of view, there are a couple issues I'll need to figure out

1) If someone sends in two songs, and someone wants to add a third with the same title, how should I handle the submission

I guess I'll need to add a link next to each entry, with an "add more entries for this title" next to each listed entry

2) what about the case where two performers cover the same song, and there's a third unrelated song with the same title. 

There will need to be a means for flagging which are covers, and which aren't

Written By: Red Ant on 10/08/07 at 11:51 am

There will need to be a means for flagging which are covers, and which aren't

Why have to deal with covers in the first place? They are not different songs... well, I guess they are technically. How about "Same Name, Different Lyrics" for the section?

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/08/07 at 11:59 am

Why have to deal with covers in the first place? They are not different songs... well, I guess they are technically. How about "Same Name, Different Lyrics" for the section?

Ant

I'm mostly concerned with the case where someone has a more popular version of a particular song.  Which one do you list?  Plus I know it'll probably trigger more submissions, since some people might not be familiar with which version is which.

Written By: nally on 10/08/07 at 12:35 pm

I'm mostly concerned with the case where someone has a more popular version of a particular song.  Which one do you list?  Plus I know it'll probably trigger more submissions, since some people might not be familiar with which version is which.

yes..."It's My Life" is a perfect example of such a case. I can think of 3 distinct songs with that name, one of which was covered.

one by The Animals (from the 60's)
one by Talk Talk (from the mid-80's), which was covered by No Doubt in '03
one by Bon Jovi (from '00)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/08/07 at 12:37 pm

yes..."It's My Life" is a perfect example of such a case. I can think of 3 distinct songs with that name, one of which was covered.

one by The Animals (from the 60's)
one by Talk Talk (from the mid-80's), which was covered by No Doubt in '03
one by Bon Jovi (from '00)

Another good one would be "Cherish". In 1966, The Association had a song called "Cherish" and 30 years later, Madonna had a song called "Cherish". They have the same name, but the song is totally different.

Written By: nally on 10/08/07 at 12:42 pm

Another good one would be "Cherish". In 1966, The Association had a song called "Cherish" and 30 years later, Madonna had a song called "Cherish". They have the same name, but the song is totally different.

Yes...but was either one of them covered?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/08/07 at 12:44 pm

Yes...but was either one of them covered?

The one by The Association was by David Cassidy.

Written By: nally on 10/08/07 at 12:48 pm

The one by The Association was by David Cassidy.

So lemme get it straight...David Cassidy covered The Association's "Cherish"?

Also, I think Kool & The Gang had a song with that name as well.

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/08/07 at 11:30 pm

From the liner notes to "Super Hits of the 70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 22":

"'Hold On,' incidentally, is the most popular song title of the rock era. Twelve different songs with that title have made the charts for (deep breath here) Ian Gomm, Wilson Phillips, En Vogue, Santana, Triumph, Kansas, Sons of Champlin, The Rascals, Badfinger, Wild Cherry, The Radiants, and Donny Osmond."

Anybody got all 12?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: nally on 10/09/07 at 6:05 pm

"'Hold On,' incidentally, is the most popular song title of the rock era. Twelve different songs with that title have made the charts for (deep breath here) Ian Gomm, Wilson Phillips, En Vogue, Santana, Triumph, Kansas, Sons of Champlin, The Rascals, Badfinger, Wild Cherry, The Radiants, and Donny Osmond."

Anybody got all 12?

xoxox
Spaff

There's also one by KT Tunstall (from this year), but I'm not sure if that's a cover of one of the aforementioned dozen, or a completely different song altogether (making a total of 13 now). The only ones out of the dozen I know are those by Wilson Phillips, En Vogue, Santana and Kansas.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/09/07 at 7:37 pm

Anybody got all 12?

xoxox
Spaff
Herman's Hermits too

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/07 at 1:15 pm

what about Crazy.  Patsy Cline, Seal, and the Boys have all done different songs with this title. I am sure there are many more but these came to mind

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 1:20 pm

what about Crazy.  Patsy Cline, Seal, and the Boys have all done different songs with this title. I am sure there are many more but these came to mind

"Crazy" songs that come to mind:

Patsy Cline (1960's)
Icehouse (1980's)
Seal (early 90's; covered by Alanis in '05...gawd I hate that cover! 8-P)
Aerosmith (1993/'94)
Gnarles Barkley (2006)

The 'Boys'? Who are they? ???

Written By: Step-chan on 10/10/07 at 2:14 pm

I know of a title or two as well.

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/07 at 2:50 pm

"Crazy" songs that come to mind:

The 'Boys'? Who are they? ???

young kids who went from performing on the streets of Santa Monica (or Venice) to the R&B charts in 1992.  They had at least two CDs and might have guest starred on an episode of A Different World. I know Kriss Kross did but I think the Boys did too...unless that was Immature...

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 2:52 pm

young kids who went from performing on the streets of Santa Monica (or Venice) to the R&B charts in 1992.  They had at least two CDs and might have guest starred on an episode of A Different World. I know Kriss Kross did but I think the Boys did too...unless that was Immature...

I remember an R&B group called Immature, but I think they released their debut album in 1994 (when the members were 12-13 years old). So you could be right about Kris Kross and The Boys.

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/07 at 2:56 pm

I remember an R&B group called Immature, but I think they released their debut album in 1994 (when the members were 12-13 years old). So you could be right about Kris Kross and The Boys.

too many of these groups appeared in the 90s and they all seemed to appear on ADW at some point in time so maybe The Boys and Immature were both on the show. 

I remember seeing the Boys on Oprah. Their father was on talking about how he was the driving force behind their fame or some crap like that. It was a show about kids going from nothing to having fame (i think).

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/12/08 at 8:22 pm

Bumping this, because I've been trying to think of how to do this section effectively for months now without building an entire section about cover songs.  I also have been super busy.  I'm still super busy, but I think I can find time to start adding new sections again.

I think I've finally got an approach that might work!

There's two scenarios. The first scenario is someone has a new song title for two different songs. The second scenario is for an additional song already listed.

For scenario one, the visitor would enter the song title, then the group and the FIRST LINE of the song.  Then enter the second group and the first line of the second song.

For scenario two, there will be a link underneath the songs listed for a particular song, which will then prefill the song title and the first performer name.

As for the case where there's a cover of a song, I guess we could also add in an additional "also covered by" field, but trying to maintain that would be way more work.  I'm pretty sure there's a couple websites that already tread that ground pretty effectively (including AllMusic)

I think the key to making the section work, is to require someone to enter the first line (or two) of a song, so we can easily tell if it's already in the database).

I'm thinking the music trivia section for this as well.

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 10:22 am

Bumping this, because I've been trying to think of how to do this section effectively for months now without building an entire section about cover songs.  I also have been super busy.  I'm still super busy, but I think I can find time to start adding new sections again.

I think I've finally got an approach that might work!

There's two scenarios. The first scenario is someone has a new song title for two different songs. The second scenario is for an additional song already listed.

For scenario one, the visitor would enter the song title, then the group and the FIRST LINE of the song.  Then enter the second group and the first line of the second song.

might work... in order to prove that they're two different songs

For scenario two, there will be a link underneath the songs listed for a particular song, which will then prefill the song title and the first performer name.

okay...

As for the case where there's a cover of a song, I guess we could also add in an additional "also covered by" field, but trying to maintain that would be way more work.  I'm pretty sure there's a couple websites that already tread that ground pretty effectively (including AllMusic)

such as "It's My Life", for example?
The Talk Talk song with that name was covered by No Doubt.
The Animals also recorded a song with that name, as did Bon Jovi.

I think the key to making the section work, is to require someone to enter the first line (or two) of a song, so we can easily tell if it's already in the database).

I'm thinking the music trivia section for this as well.

Perhaps... but there are several song titles out there that have been used for 3 or more different songs (such as "It's My Life", illustrated above), so would we need to make separate entries for those?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/08 at 12:28 pm

Perhaps... but there are several song titles out there that have been used for 3 or more different songs (such as "It's My Life", illustrated above), so would we need to make separate entries for those?

I just set it up.  Basically going to ignore covers, so either No Doubt or Talk Talk would be listed but not both.

http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 12:32 pm

I just set it up.  Basically going to ignore covers, so either No Doubt or Talk Talk would be listed but not both.

http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/

Cool. 8)

I see how it works

As for "It's My Life", I would opt for Talk Talk, since theirs is the original (and the better version IMO).

Apparently there's no editor for it yet...can I be the editor?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/08 at 12:36 pm

Cool. 8)

I see how it works

As for "It's My Life", I would opt for Talk Talk, since theirs is the original (and the better version IMO).

Apparently there's no editor for it yet...can I be the editor?

if you want, it's yours...

here's some examples we can use to get the section moving. 

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-20701.html

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 2:47 pm

great...thanks Chuck! 8) I even submitted a couple...and I see how it works. Looks like you've set it up to list them by song title; that was probably the best way to do it. But I guess submitter names aren't tracked on each entry once they appear on the section.

here's some examples we can use to get the section moving. 

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-20701.html

I actually know of several reused song titles offhand...in fact, I've done some quizzes on them, both here (in the Penguin Quizzes section) and on Amiwrong.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/08 at 3:01 pm

great...thanks Chuck! 8) I even submitted a couple...and I see how it works. Looks like you've set it up to list them by song title; that was probably the best way to do it. But I guess submitter names aren't tracked on each entry once they appear on the section.

the submitter names are saved, but for now I'm not listing them with each submission, just for the top ten list.  I was also unsure of whether I should include a comment field for each band entry like I do on most sections.  Seemed like overkill. Going to leave it out for now I think.

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 3:36 pm

the submitter names are saved, but for now I'm not listing them with each submission, just for the top ten list.  I was also unsure of whether I should include a comment field for each band entry like I do on most sections.  Seemed like overkill. Going to leave it out for now I think.

...and the top ten list has yet to be developed, as the section is only beginning to grow and has only a few contributors right now. And I guess the top ten leaderboards for each section only get updated once daily?

As for the comment field, we can leave that out for now, although it might be useful in the future for liner notes (ie, written by So & So, or things of that nature). For now, though, I suppose we can do without it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/08 at 3:46 pm

...and the top ten list has yet to be developed, as the section is only beginning to grow and has only a few contributors right now. And I guess the top ten leaderboards for each section only get updated once daily?

As for the comment field, we can leave that out for now, although it might be useful in the future for liner notes (ie, written by So & So, or things of that nature). For now, though, I suppose we can do without it.

yeah, the leaderboards get updated when I do the parody updates

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/08 at 7:38 pm

I found some issues with it tonight when I checked out the submissions that have come in.  I just fixed them and approved the entries that were waiting. 

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 10:28 pm

I'll review them tomorrow (when I have time). I know I sent in maybe one or two submissions and approved them, along with a couple submitted by someone else. I guess more of them came in after I signed off earlier?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/14/08 at 8:04 am

I'll review them tomorrow (when I have time). I know I sent in maybe one or two submissions and approved them, along with a couple submitted by someone else. I guess more of them came in after I signed off earlier?

yes... I've been approving them as I see them, just so I can make sure things are working right.  I think it's all working fine now so I'll let you take over from here on in.

it wouldn't normally be a lot of work to add a new section, but I altered the look and feel of how this section works from the others on the site, so it needed to be coded from scratch in some parts.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/14/08 at 10:36 am

yes... I've been approving them as I see them, just so I can make sure things are working right.  I think it's all working fine now so I'll let you take over from here on in.

It was working right, until I decided to make some changes to it, and used the wrong version and overwrote all of last night's changes.

Maybe better if I keep reviewing new entries for today until I'm positive I haven't screwed anything else up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/08 at 9:58 am

I found another minor issue with it today, but nothing serious (30 second fix).

It appears to be receiving a lot of new submissions, which is pretty cool.  Wish I had set it up sooner, I just kept over thinking what it should look like.

Written By: LoneEagle32 on 06/25/15 at 12:40 pm

I've recently been interested in getting to know the "Same Name, Different Song" subject myself and am intrigued on how similar some songs are like Robbie Nevil's song C'est la Vie and B*Witched's song of C'Est la Vie..  And then there is EMF's song Unbelievable and Diamond Rio's song of Unbelievable.  Then there are Huey Lewis and the News and T'Pau who both have different versions to the song "Heart and Soul".  And yet still there are more to come...  "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac and Kenny Chesney

Written By: nally on 06/25/15 at 12:44 pm

^ You can check 'em out right here: http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/

Check for new replies or respond here...