inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Drop Down Menus? here's a taste of what it might look like

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/10/07 at 2:13 pm

There are way too many entries in the real lyrics and band names sections for a single drop down though.  I might have to think about how to re-order things a little more

test version of the homepage

let me know your opinion of how it works, and what browser you use.  I tested it in IE 6 and Firefox 2

I'll probably change the color from those boring greys, but I haven't bothered since I just want to gather some initial input before I begin.  I am a little nervous about moving away from the links being visible all at once, since I think they help to advertise the other sections.

Subject: Re: Drop Down Menus? here's a taste of what it might look like

Written By: philbo on 10/10/07 at 4:39 pm

Love it - although the links aren't visible all at once, 'cause the menu drops down on mouse over, you get to see what's under each really quickly.  And the sections themselves are more easily visible from the menu titles.

...and I'll agree with the colour change.  To pretty much anything :)

Written By: skittlesking on 10/10/07 at 9:44 pm

I much prefer those drop down menus to the current look, it's much less cluttered and more professional.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/16/07 at 11:51 am

some further refinements...

http://amiright.com/test3.shtml

be aware that in Internet Explorer, the site info and related sites drop down doesn't work.  It's a bug with the drop downs I'm using, which I plan on changing to something else anyways. The drop downs will probably be a different color, fancier looking with rounded corners, etc. 

Written By: skittlesking on 10/16/07 at 11:54 am

be aware that in Internet Explorer, the site info and related sites drop down doesn't work.  It's a bug with the drop downs I'm using, which I plan on changing to something else anyways. The drop downs will probably be a different color, fancier looking with rounded corners, etc. 

I like it, I do think perhaps Misheard Lyrics should be moved to the top row also to make it a little more even with the bottom row. . .but I know that the first two are 'site' stuff where as the bottom row are sections. . .so either way, it's much better than that left bar clutter stuff their now.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/16/07 at 11:59 am

Put the Site Info & Related Sites near the bottom of the page...people will find them if they really need to, and you don't want people to leave your site for another so quickly, now do you? ;)

Put the band search option under the bank of drop down menus.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/16/07 at 12:40 pm

Put the Site Info & Related Sites near the bottom of the page...people will find them if they really need to, and you don't want people to leave your site for another so quickly, now do you? ;)

Put the band search option under the bank of drop down menus.

Well, most of those related sites are sites like this one, or the poster-books one I started... so they're not really leaving my sites, just amIright.

I suppose they are fairly utilitarian in nature though.

I think I still want the search box on the top of the drop downs though.  Not sure, going to try mocking it up in Photoshop before I do another iteration.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/16/07 at 1:06 pm

here's a go at it in Photoshop....

I think I need down arrows or something to help indicate they are supposed to be drop downs.

Written By: skittlesking on 10/16/07 at 2:05 pm

OoO  That's styley  :o

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/16/07 at 3:00 pm

Yeah! I like it!  8)

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/17/07 at 3:43 am

Adding Mac OS X-style gel buttons for the menus and making the page on the center might be better...

Written By: philbo on 10/17/07 at 5:56 am

here's a go at it in Photoshop....

I think I need down arrows or something to help indicate they are supposed to be drop downs.

I like the look, but IMO the colours look a bit stark - howsabout just to add a bit of depth:

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 9:56 am

Adding Mac OS X-style gel buttons for the menus and making the page on the center might be better...

um, no.  Mac GUI elements on web pages are tacky.  They belong in one place, the Mac desktop.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 9:57 am

I like the look, but IMO the colours look a bit stark - howsabout just to add a bit of depth:

at this point, I'll be happy to find a css round box demo that works well.  I'll worry about making it pretty later.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 11:16 am

here's a pass that gets things a bit closer. 

The site info and related sites need to shoved into the design somewhere, probably in the footer and not as drop down menus.

The Jokes & Quotes need to be in there somehow.  No sure I want them in the drop down list, only because they don't drop down and might be confusing

The real lyrics and name wordplay lists are still super long, and maybe should be broken into sub-categories

IE doesn't have a fluid design. If you still use a bug ridden piece of garbage like IE, you deserve a less functional page.

http://www.amiright.com/indexCSS7.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/17/07 at 1:44 pm

IE doesn't have a fluid design. If you still use a bug ridden piece of garbage like IE, you deserve a less functional page.

Well, when you have no choice in the matter... :P  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 1:54 pm

Well, when you have no choice in the matter... :P  :)

Sorry, I know some people don't get a choice. 

Despite my open bitchin' about it, I do test in both Firefox and IE.  Generally if it works in both, it works in everything else.

I just split the names section into two in the menu, for band name or song names.

Still no idea how I can further split the Real Lyrics section up by.

Written By: drew832 on 10/18/07 at 1:57 am

Maybe you wouldn't have to do this if you didn't have sections for "Songs that have the word pizza in them" or stuff like that.

Written By: Jason on 10/18/07 at 8:29 am

The only thing I am a bit unsure about is since the removal of the left-hand menu, the site seems 'off-centre' to the left, particulary when reading parodies. It would be appreciated if the site could have its 'central' appearance before the introduction of the drop-down menus.

Jason.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/07 at 8:43 am

The only thing I am a bit unsure about is since the removal of the left-hand menu, the site seems 'off-centre' to the left, particulary when reading parodies. It would be appreciated if the site could have its 'central' appearance before the introduction of the drop-down menus.

Jason.

not sure if I can or not.  It's an IE bug that forces the site to be a fixed width in that browser.  I can certainly play with it and see what I can do.

Written By: Jason on 10/18/07 at 9:06 am

It also happens in the AOL explorer as well as Internet Explorer.

Jason.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/07 at 9:36 am

It also happens in the AOL explorer as well as Internet Explorer.

Jason.

those are basically one in the same...

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/18/07 at 2:22 pm

So you have put it place, cool beans!  8)

One problem...When Real Lyrics is dropped down, the list of items is longer than my window can view. (cut off after Pronunciation)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/07 at 2:37 pm

So you have put it place, cool beans!  8)

One problem...When Real Lyrics is dropped down, the list of items is longer than my window can view. (cut off after Pronunciation)

I know.  You can scroll the window down still to see them if you have a mouse wheel.  Like someone else mentioned, wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have so many silly pages.  I've got a list of another 30 or so sections I'm considering adding at some point, so that problem needs to get resolved first.

If I could think of two or three subcategories to organize them by, it would help.  Or maybe just say sections A-M then N-Z

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/19/07 at 6:53 am

um, no.  Mac GUI elements on web pages are tacky.  They belong in one place, the Mac desktop.

I can do that in Photoshop, but my brother got rid of that app recently; although I can do gel button stuff at my friend's PC... Making the tables at the center and the text in the main page at the left side might be nicer...

Check for new replies or respond here...