inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Addressing the "Missing Vote" issue

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/23/07 at 9:09 pm

(If this issue has been discussed before, apologies -- the Real World keeps me from being here much.)

We've all seen a song have, say, eight comments saying 555, but there are only five or six votes tallied. Other than false flattery, two thoughts come to mind, as I'm sure I've shorted people in this way myself many times, being a pea-brain.

The first is that I just noticed (duh!) that once you vote on a song, the vote-box disappears (at least, for that session). For anyone who hasn't noticed that, it's a sure answer to the old, "I commented, but dang! can't remember whether I've voted" issue. If the box with the fill-in-the-dots One-to-Five is still there, you haven't yet voted. If it isn't, well... you have. This helps me a lot.

The other might be helped with a sw tweak -- the issue of voting, missing the "Press here to confim" box, and moving on.... Vote lost. Keeping in mind that I'm a coding dummy (much better at parsing actual English lol), my guess is that this has something to do with setting a cookie or something, perhaps to avoid duplicate votes and flooding? If it's necessary, cool, but... I hate in-your-face pop-ups as much as anyone else on the planet, but for a worthy cause as this one, perhaps the "confirm" warning could be unavoidably conspicuous? Red letters (on the pale pink b/g), maybe bigger? Would preferably be a part of the page, so it's seen even by those with pop-up blockers running.

Again, I've made both mistakes many times, and at most, if not all, parodies, the comments and the votes don't add up. Pea-brain-proof tweaks would help. Thanks!

Subject: Re: Addressing the "Missing Vote" issue

Written By: EthanM on 10/25/07 at 9:31 am

I think that sometimes people place a vote but make a comment at the same time and that keeps the vote from registering. I know that a lot of the voting records for amiright were wiped out a few years ago.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/25/07 at 10:39 am

I have found that, in the situations that TT describes, one simply needs to refresh the page to resume voting/commenting.

Written By: Rex on 10/25/07 at 4:47 pm

Or, the commentor could be saying that the parody is 555-worthy, not that they actually voted it a 555. Just another way of saying "it's grrrrreat!

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/25/07 at 8:24 pm

I think that sometimes people place a vote but make a comment at the same time and that keeps the vote from registering.

That's a very good possibility -- maybe the sw could be tweaked so that one could vote and comment at the same time?

I know that a lot of the voting records for amiright were wiped out a few years ago.

Right, I was referring to current songs where the votes don't match the comments. I understand Rex's remark that they might not have voted, but since I'm an AIR-head and have probably shorted people many votes that I intended to give, was just trying to help pea-brains like myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...