inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are some contributors' numbers DECREASING on "Top Contributors"

Written By: Mountain Ashley on 11/30/07 at 3:04 am

In the past few days, I've noticed on viewing the "Top Contributors" page, that there are at least two contributors for which the number of posts cited has decreased over that time. How can that be? Does this mean some of their posts were deleted? Or is the means by which posts are countted for "Top Contributors" possibly faulty in some way? I've often noticed before that the page can seem to be slow in counting latest additions, more slow for additions to some pages than for others, apparently. I did notice that misheard lyrics submissions are not counted on the Top Contributors page. Does that include stories, or just misheard lyrics postings without stories? I was wondering, since names ARE posted with the stories that get posted.

P.S. I noticed when registering that the guidelines say that ASCII is not to be used. I'm not familiar with that term. What is ASCII?

Subject: Re: Why are some contributors' numbers DECREASING on "Top Contributors"

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/07 at 8:54 am

In the past few days, I've noticed on viewing the "Top Contributors" page, that there are at least two contributors for which the number of posts cited has decreased over that time. How can that be? Does this mean some of their posts were deleted? Or is the means by which posts are countted for "Top Contributors" possibly faulty in some way? I've often noticed before that the page can seem to be slow in counting latest additions, more slow for additions to some pages than for others, apparently. I did notice that misheard lyrics submissions are not counted on the Top Contributors page. Does that include stories, or just misheard lyrics postings without stories? I was wondering, since names ARE posted with the stories that get posted.

P.S. I noticed when registering that the guidelines say that ASCII is not to be used. I'm not familiar with that term. What is ASCII?

it's possible that one of the editors is removing entries, but more likely there is something screwy with the script.  It's kind of a new thing I wrote in a hurry, so I expect bugs.  I also haven't gotten much feedback on it, so I haven't paid as much attention to it as I could have.

New additions won't get counted until they get approved by an editor, and then it will be the day after.  The script runs once a day when I update song parodies.  That might be why it seems slow.  If you submit a bunch of entries to a section whose editor reviews once or twice a month, they'll be slower to appear.

I don't know if misheard stories entires are counted, though I suppose they could be since names are saved for that section. Parodies aren't currently tracked, but I think I'm going to add them in anyways.  I think photoshops and the new album cover parody section are also not tracked.

ASCII, is an acronym whose meaning I forget at the moment.  What I'm trying to avoid, is people submitting characters you can't type into a standard keyboard, and aren't letters or numbers, but rather are graphic characters or foreign language letters. Some of these characters can cause issues with scripts on the site.  If I had a large number of foreign visitors, I'd probably spend more time making it safe for that stuff, but the majority of the time people try to use something other than A-Z 0-9, it's to make LEET looking names which are kind of stupid looking anyways.

I set up the section to recognize the people who submit non-parody stuff to the site, so if there are mistakes with it, I do want to try tracking them down.

Check for new replies or respond here...