inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't load

Written By: Mountain Ashley on 02/08/08 at 3:05 am

The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't load all of it. I was working on a computer today that would only load the page down to somewhere in songs beginning with "Who". I was looking for a song beginning with "Why", so I couldn't get to it. It isn't surprising that the W- page is the longest page in that section, since so many "question words' start with "W", and song titles that ask questions are particularly conducive to suggesting other songs to answer them. Have you ever thought of a need to break up pages in some sections within a given initial letter? If so, this might be the page that would need to be so broken up first. Considering the distribution of "question words", a needful way to break up the page might be as follows: W-Wha, Whe-Whi, Who, Whu-Wy.

Subject: Re: The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't l

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/08/08 at 10:01 am

The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't load all of it. I was working on a computer today that would only load the page down to somewhere in songs beginning with "Who". I was looking for a song beginning with "Why", so I couldn't get to it. It isn't surprising that the W- page is the longest page in that section, since so many "question words' start with "W", and song titles that ask questions are particularly conducive to suggesting other songs to answer them. Have you ever thought of a need to break up pages in some sections within a given initial letter? If so, this might be the page that would need to be so broken up first. Considering the distribution of "question words", a needful way to break up the page might be as follows: W-Wha, Whe-Whi, Who, Whu-Wy.

thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware that page grew so big.  You're totally right, most questions do begin with one of the W words.  Maybe we can just break it into those five words and then everything else.  I'll have to put this in my to do list and look into it next week.  I probably should make a survey of the site for other gigantic pages as well.

Subject: Re: The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't load

Written By: Red Ant on 02/09/08 at 3:28 pm

Using the search for Beatles' songs goes over the 2500 limit. Not that it's a big deal, but it's close to impossible to know how many Beatles parodies are on the site.

Ant

Subject: Re: The W- page of Answers To Songs has gotten so long that some servers won't l

Written By: skittlesking on 02/09/08 at 6:25 pm

Using the search for Beatles' songs goes over the 2500 limit. Not that it's a big deal, but it's close to impossible to know how many Beatles parodies are on the site.

Ant

I will be making an AmIRight Statistical Database shortly. . .it's on my not-as-long list to do and that will include both Artists and Songs and will be accessible by anyone

Check for new replies or respond here...