inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Small changes on the site for comments and reports

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/08 at 11:57 am

I added a comment length check in there today (simple, surprised I overlooked it).  I put it at 5000 characters for now, might be adjust downwards if that length is routinely abused.

I also changed the report tool, currently it was blocking reports if they were made within five minutes, now it's 30 seconds.  The editors (Red Ant and myself) will now be able to see all the comments for a parody during a report and remove extra comments.  So if you make a report, make sure to note whether there are additional comments on a page to check out.

Subject: Re: Small changes on the site for comments and reports

Written By: Red Ant on 03/10/08 at 1:45 pm

I added a comment length check in there today (simple, surprised I overlooked it).  I put it at 5000 characters for now, might be adjust downwards if that length is routinely abused.

Thanks. I was thinking about a comment length cap just yesterday...

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/08 at 3:09 pm

Thanks. I was thinking about a comment length cap just yesterday...

Ant

it used to be in the old comment system,  I just forgot to add a check in this one for some weird reason.  Only took maybe 5 minutes to write and test it out.

I also broke the recordings section down by month, which is something baDave asked me for a few weeks ago.  Only took maybe an hour, just needed to have an hour available to spend on it.

Next project is to break up some of the bigger sections, like answers to songs, so that there's multiple pages for pages that exceed 200 entries or so. 

I'm also still playing around with the photoshops and album cover parodies.  I think they need those "top submittor" lists like I have on most of the other sections.  The Photoshops indexes are pretty boring, I think I want them to match the newer album cover parodies section.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/10/08 at 4:45 pm

Linda Terhune is going to be very surprised.  ;D

Does character count include space shifts ("<br>")?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/08 at 4:53 pm

Linda Terhune is going to be very surprised.  ;D

Does character count include space shifts ("<br>")?

yes it does.  spaces too

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/11/08 at 12:42 pm

Next project is to break up some of the bigger sections, like answers to songs, so that there's multiple pages for pages that exceed 200 entries or so. 

So I broke the really long pages down in the songs to answer songs section today.  I've also identified about a dozen other sections that will probably get the code at some point as well. 

Written By: Jason on 03/11/08 at 2:08 pm

So this means that those such as Linda Terhune who write paragraphs and paragraphs of text in their comments will now have their comments curtailed? If a comment is curtailed, will it be restructured as to still read properly, or will it simply have the superflous text removed? And will there be a 'character counter' as well, ie if the comment length is limited to 5000 characters, as you type, the counter will automatically reduce?

Jason.

Written By: nally on 03/11/08 at 2:12 pm

So I broke the really long pages down in the songs to answer songs section today.  I've also identified about a dozen other sections that will probably get the code at some point as well. 

Oh good... yeah, I figured that there'd be a ton of those, since most questions begin with the letter W (who/what/when/where/why), and most of the time, a "question"-type song would begin with one of those words.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/11/08 at 3:22 pm

Oh good... yeah, I figured that there'd be a ton of those, since most questions begin with the letter W (who/what/when/where/why), and most of the time, a "question"-type song would begin with one of those words.

yeah, someone mentioned it a few months ago.  It was crashing their browser since it was so huge, and loaded inside of a table.

So far I've also added the ability for sections to be split into smaller sub-pages on:

Bad Onhold music, Music for Commercials that haven't been done, Duets, Add/Change/Remove a letter, Cool band names, and combined groups.

Written By: Rex on 06/02/08 at 10:42 am

Speaking of comments, I noticed that when you submit a parody the return page says "Ok, your comment has been recorded" instead of something like "OK, your parody has been submitted".

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/08 at 11:15 am

Speaking of comments, I noticed that when you submit a parody the return page says "Ok, your comment has been recorded" instead of something like "OK, your parody has been submitted".

interesting... I haven't touched the parody submission stuff in ages, so if it says that, it's been saying it for a while now.

I know there's still some older style submission scripts running on the site, which use old thank you pages and stuff that should be replaced, just haven't spent any time on cleaning things up lately.

Written By: nally on 06/02/08 at 12:14 pm

On a similar note, it always says "Ok, your comment has been recorded", regardless of what type of submission you make...whether it be in the Real Lyrics, Fun w/ Band/Song Names, or Music Trivia sections. I think it should say, "Ok, your submission has been recorded."

Written By: EthanM on 06/02/08 at 7:28 pm

interesting... I haven't touched the parody submission stuff in ages, so if it says that, it's been saying it for a while now.

I know there's still some older style submission scripts running on the site, which use old thank you pages and stuff that should be replaced, just haven't spent any time on cleaning things up lately.

Yeah, it says that the parody will be reviewed by a moderator and put on the site within a week if it gets on at all.  I think next day posting of parodies started soon after I found amiright in the summer of 2002.

Check for new replies or respond here...