inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More sections? You better believe it... taking suggestions as always

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/21/08 at 11:13 am

I plan on rolling out a new section every week, probably on Mondays (so I have the weekend to start it and get it running right).

If you've got an idea you'd like to see, feel free to post it here.  Otherwise, I've got my big list of ideas to work my way through.

Subject: Re: More sections? You better believe it... taking suggestions as always

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/08 at 11:19 am

I have always wonder on a section on celebrities or known people from the past and have now disappeared from the limelight of stardom. The old cliched phrase "Where Are They Now?".

Subject: Re: More sections? You better believe it... taking suggestions as always

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/21/08 at 11:51 am

I have always wonder on a section on celebrities or known people from the past and have now disappeared from the limelight of stardom. The old cliched phrase "Where Are They Now?".

I've got one of those sections on the decade sites, inthe70s,inthe80s,inthe90s...

on amIright I have one section called "New Career" for performers that have left the music business

Written By: Mountain Ashley on 05/29/08 at 2:40 am

There are two possible new sections that I've had ideas for. One would be a "dead man singing syndrome". The first example of a song that comes to mind for that is "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. This would mean songs that have lyrics that imply that the singer is dead but somehow singing about his / her death and / or experiences leading up to it.
The second idea I've had would be notorious and /or bizarre fallout from songs. This would be somewhat akin to the "Best Known For" section, but song-focused rather than artist-focused. An example that would qualify as notorious fallout would be how the Beatles' "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was playing at the right time and place to couse someone to name a most famous human fossil "Lucy" after the song. Another example that I've seen referred to would be more in the bizarre sub-categoy, since it may be less famous, since I've seen it referred to on only one website. That website was an extensive dictionary of "ethnic slurs", going to the point of what some might call overkill in the area of recognizing "ethnic slurs". An actual item on its list was "snowbird", which it called an "ethnic slur" for snowbelt residents who habitually go south for winter vacations. And it attributed the origin of that "slur" to Anne Murray's song of the same name (I'm not kidding! If the website still exists, I suppose it can be found.).

So I thought I'd submit these ideas for consideration.

Thank you

P.S. A third idea I thought of is one I can't call original with me, as I once saw it suggested in somebody's "Misheard Lyrics Story". That would be real lyrics that are so bizarre or absurd that someone thought surely they were mishearing them, perhaps even setting out to submit a misheard lyrics entry. But on checking for the real lyrics, they found out that their supposed "mishearing" was the actual (albeit absurd) lyrics.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/29/08 at 8:07 am

There are two possible new sections that I've had ideas for. One would be a "dead man singing syndrome". The first example of a song that comes to mind for that is "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. This would mean songs that have lyrics that imply that the singer is dead but somehow singing about his / her death and / or experiences leading up to it.

interesting, probably not too many of those songs, but it would make a cool section

The second idea I've had would be notorious and /or bizarre fallout from songs. This would be somewhat akin to the "Best Known For" section, but song-focused rather than artist-focused. An example that would qualify as notorious fallout would be how the Beatles' "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was playing at the right time and place to couse someone to name a most famous human fossil "Lucy" after the song. Another example that I've seen referred to would be more in the bizarre sub-categoy, since it may be less famous, since I've seen it referred to on only one website. That website was an extensive dictionary of "ethnic slurs", going to the point of what some might call overkill in the area of recognizing "ethnic slurs". An actual item on its list was "snowbird", which it called an "ethnic slur" for snowbelt residents who habitually go south for winter vacations. And it attributed the origin of that "slur" to Anne Murray's song of the same name (I'm not kidding! If the website still exists, I suppose it can be found.).

I thought the notorious fallout from "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" would be the controversy with the initials of the song spelling out LS.D.

interesting idea, I'll see what I can do with the idea.  The title maybe would be better if it were something like Song Controversies

P.S. A third idea I thought of is one I can't call original with me, as I once saw it suggested in somebody's "Misheard Lyrics Story". That would be real lyrics that are so bizarre or absurd that someone thought surely they were mishearing them, perhaps even setting out to submit a misheard lyrics entry. But on checking for the real lyrics, they found out that their supposed "mishearing" was the actual (albeit absurd) lyrics.

not sure if I can do something with this... we already have the nonsensical section, would seem to kind of cover this.

Check for new replies or respond here...