inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Instrumentals from bands that sing

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/17/08 at 1:20 pm

There are some bands that sing who have an instrumental once in awhile, like the Beatles, which sang almost every song that they did...except for "Flying" which is an instrumental.

The title should be retooling, but this should exclude bands and artisits that do nothing but instrumental music.

Subject: Re: Instrumentals from bands that sing

Written By: Tia on 06/17/08 at 1:24 pm

ah, flying is a great tune. earlier today i was listening to "mudman" from obscured by clouds, a lesser-known pink floyd movie soundtrack with lots of instrumentals.

there's also some very moody instrumental radiohead stuff from "kid a" that i quite like.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/17/08 at 7:25 pm

"Jessica" by the Allman Brothers was the first thing that came to mind. 

They Might Be Giants also have some cool instrumentals like "Minimum Wage".

I'm almost sure the Police have an instrumental or two.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/08 at 7:29 pm

Peter Gabriel did an entire instrumental soundtrack album that is fantastic, for the movie "The Passion of the Christ" I think.

I was going to start a new section yesterday but got sidetracked with cleaning up the artists info pages (adding in the new sections).  I was then going to do it today, but I had a relapse of my cold and ended up home again and asleep most of the day. 

So maybe I'll just ignore the list of sections I have in my notebook and run with this idea for tomorrow.  Should be interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/08 at 7:41 pm

Or how about songs with words from artists known primarily for Instrumentals?

One of the best examples I can think of is Frank Mills.  He is best known for his piano instrumental songs, but in 1972, he hit #1 in Canada and US #46 with 'Love Me, Love Me, Love', a rare song in which he sings

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/08 at 7:44 pm

Or how about songs with words from artists known primarily for Instrumentals?

One of the best examples I can think of is Frank Mills.  He is best known for his piano instrumental songs, but in 1972, he hit #1 in Canada and US #46 with 'Love Me, Love Me, Love', a rare song in which he sings

I wonder how many instances there are of that... I hate to start a new section for amIright that only ends up with five or six entries..

Maybe the section could include both types of cases...

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/17/08 at 10:14 pm

George Benson is another good example.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/27/08 at 12:03 pm

ah, flying is a great tune. earlier today i was listening to "mudman" from obscured by clouds, a lesser-known pink floyd movie soundtrack with lots of instrumentals.

there's also some very moody instrumental radiohead stuff from "kid a" that i quite like.

Great album.

Written By: holicman on 10/13/08 at 8:02 am

What about Albatross by Fleetwood mac ?

Almost all of their hits beyond that were lyrically based.

Check for new replies or respond here...