inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Author RSS feed?

Written By: philbo on 06/27/08 at 10:58 am

Chucky,

I've just been asked whether I can give out a notification by RSS when a new parody hits Amiright - I said "no", but then started thinking about it: how easy it would be to implement depends an awful lot on how your data is stored: ISTM that an amiright.com/parody/rss?Author=me that throws out a song title, address and possibly the preamble rather than the parody itself might be fairly trivial...

The other thing is whether there is any demand - I've recently got into RSS 'cause I've added what is in effect a simple news feed to the front page of my application, so I'm a lot more aware of it as a technology that I would have been even a couple of weeks ago.

What do you reckon?

Subject: Re: Author RSS feed?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/27/08 at 11:22 am

Chucky,

I've just been asked whether I can give out a notification by RSS when a new parody hits Amiright - I said "no", but then started thinking about it: how easy it would be to implement depends an awful lot on how your data is stored: ISTM that an amiright.com/parody/rss?Author=me that throws out a song title, address and possibly the preamble rather than the parody itself might be fairly trivial...

The other thing is whether there is any demand - I've recently got into RSS 'cause I've added what is in effect a simple news feed to the front page of my application, so I'm a lot more aware of it as a technology that I would have been even a couple of weeks ago.

What do you reckon?

I can roll an RSS feed of whatever you like... I wrote one for the new parodies, but if you want one for a particular author I can do that too.  Not sure there is a lot of demand for it though.

Written By: philbo on 06/27/08 at 11:47 am

I suppose we could test the water...

But you may well be right about a low demand: I have a lot of techie friends who take an interest in my parodies, yet I've only been asked once about RSS.. but then, how many know it's a possibility?

Have you looked at iGoogle, and the possibility of having a "Parody of the Day" gadget available to add to your iGoogle page?  I've just checked, and it adds the amiright "http://feedproxy.feedburner.com/amirightParodies" feed quite happily, but only shows max of the top nine parodies.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/08 at 7:37 am

I suppose we could test the water...

But you may well be right about a low demand: I have a lot of techie friends who take an interest in my parodies, yet I've only been asked once about RSS.. but then, how many know it's a possibility?

Have you looked at iGoogle, and the possibility of having a "Parody of the Day" gadget available to add to your iGoogle page?  I've just checked, and it adds the amiright "http://feedproxy.feedburner.com/amirightParodies" feed quite happily, but only shows max of the top nine parodies.

the rss feed lists them all, the limit is on Google's side of things.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/08 at 10:04 am

the rss feed lists them all, the limit is on Google's side of things.

I realize - I've got the full set as one of my test feeds.. I'm not sure the customers will go for it, though ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/30/08 at 10:36 am

I do know I want to do more gadget types of things for people to include content from amIright elsewhere.  I was thinking of something with the misheard lyrics too, like a "best of" that would require voting on them too.  I just don't tend to use these types of things so it's hard for me to gauge what would be useful or interesting to the people who do.

Check for new replies or respond here...