inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Front page redesign? Blog style... opinions?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/08 at 10:44 am

Currently, the front page of the site updates a couple times a day, once in the morning with the stuff that was added the day before, then again with the parodies and the misheard lyrics. 

I'm thinking of a blog style layout, where as stuff is added to the site, it appears on the front page.  Kind of like what the bottom of the index is like now, but with parodies and misheard lyrics and updated more frequently during the day.  So something like this:

Some random section
an entry or two appears here

Today's Misheard Lyrics
a link to today's misheard lyrics

Some other section
with the new entry

Today's parodies
links to the current parodies

Some other section
with an entry

etc.  Setup so that it checks for updates every 15 minutes or so, and if there's something new it updates the front page of the site.  Entries from previous days would be accessed from "previous day" type links at the end of each page.

I would probably set this up as an alternate homepage initially to gauge reaction... but if it doesn't appeal to people at all I probably won't waste the effort in trying to make it work in the first place....

Subject: Re: Front page redesign? Blog style... opinions?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/09/08 at 11:30 am

Are recordings still part of the front page?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/08 at 11:44 am

Are recordings still part of the front page?

they'll appear like the other sections, when it's updated. 

the biggest change, is that instead of recordings and news items hanging around for days after they appear on the front page, they'll appear on the day they are posted, and be on the front page for 24 hours, then appear in the archive and their respective indexes.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/09/08 at 1:21 pm

Currently, the front page of the site updates a couple times a day, once in the morning with the stuff that was added the day before, then again with the parodies and the misheard lyrics. 

I'm thinking of a blog style layout, where as stuff is added to the site, it appears on the front page.  Kind of like what the bottom of the index is like now, but with parodies and misheard lyrics and updated more frequently during the day.  So something like this:

Some random section
an entry or two appears here

Today's Misheard Lyrics
a link to today's misheard lyrics

Some other section
with the new entry

Today's parodies
links to the current parodies

Some other section
with an entry

etc.  Setup so that it checks for updates every 15 minutes or so, and if there's something new it updates the front page of the site.  Entries from previous days would be accessed from "previous day" type links at the end of each page.

I would probably set this up as an alternate homepage initially to gauge reaction... but if it doesn't appeal to people at all I probably won't waste the effort in trying to make it work in the first place....

I don't know. . .though sometimes the news section doesn't have a lot of stuff posted, and the recordings usually don't have as much posted. . .I guess it's just me, but many of the other sections are just kinda neat little tid bit type stuff that I go looking for if I want to know them--I guess I just don't look for the latest in all the other sections. . .I know from my own traffic on my site I get more hits on day 2 after I post a recording than from day 1, that may only be me though--I don't know--and it wouldn't change my participation one iota (in fact I'd probably start forcing myself to over-record to make sure I can keep recordings on the front page) I like the idea of bringing Misheard Lyrics back to the front page, though I don't know that I like Song Parodies being so far down the page (again I may give this section a bit more weight because when I come to AmIRight that's what I'm looking for)

The other thing is, the current set up doesn't show new stuff in most the sections I update on the front page--I guess because I do my updates around 1 in the morning (the most convenient time for me) so I'd personal worry about the recordings not showing up on the front page at all (not saying too much on that except that it's the recordings on the front page that attracted me to the site initially as I was recording before I started submitting lyrics here)

Just my little input, don't know if anyone else has opinions on what I said, I know my angle is a bit different because of my personal participation. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/08 at 1:28 pm

I don't know. . .though sometimes the news section doesn't have a lot of stuff posted, and the recordings usually don't have as much posted. . .I guess it's just me, but many of the other sections are just kinda neat little tid bit type stuff that I go looking for if I want to know them--I guess I just don't look for the latest in all the other sections. . .I know from my own traffic on my site I get more hits on day 2 after I post a recording than from day 1, that may only be me though--I don't know--and it wouldn't change my participation one iota (in fact I'd probably start forcing myself to over-record to make sure I can keep recordings on the front page) I like the idea of bringing Misheard Lyrics back to the front page, though I don't know that I like Song Parodies being so far down the page (again I may give this section a bit more weight because when I come to AmIRight that's what I'm looking for)

The other thing is, the current set up doesn't show new stuff in most the sections I update on the front page--I guess because I do my updates around 1 in the morning (the most convenient time for me) so I'd personal worry about the recordings not showing up on the front page at all (not saying too much on that except that it's the recordings on the front page that attracted me to the site initially as I was recording before I started submitting lyrics here)

Just my little input, don't know if anyone else has opinions on what I said, I know my angle is a bit different because of my personal participation.   

Items would appear at the top of the page as they are added to the site, and then work their way down the page as the day progressed.  So the parodies wouldn't be way down the page until new sections are approved.  Maybe though that gives too much weight to the trivia/name game type of stuff that isn't necessary.

Your sections should appear on the front page the day after they are approved.  So if you approved something in Section X at 1am on the 5th, on the 6th it should be on the front page as something reviewed the previous day.  Although if it's 1AM your time, I don't know what time that would be on the server off hand which is what the script is based on.  Right now, if I don't run the script on the weekends (which happens a lot more than it should) than the page never gets built.  So if you're doing it on Friday/Saturday mostly, that would be the reason you don't see them.  I should schedule it to run automatically to make that program go away.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/09/08 at 1:32 pm

Items would appear at the top of the page as they are added to the site, and then work their way down the page as the day progressed.  So the parodies wouldn't be way down the page until new sections are approved.  Maybe though that gives too much weight to the trivia/name game type of stuff that isn't necessary.

Your sections should appear on the front page the day after they are approved.  So if you approved something in Section X at 1am on the 5th, on the 6th it should be on the front page as something reviewed the previous day.  Although if it's 1AM your time, I don't know what time that would be on the server off hand which is what the script is based on.  Right now, if I don't run the script on the weekends (which happens a lot more than it should) than the page never gets built.  So if you're doing it on Friday/Saturday mostly, that would be the reason you don't see them.  I should schedule it to run automatically to make that program go away.

Perhaps giving two separate weights, like Parodies, News, Recordings, Front Page Roar and Misheard Lyrics get the top 5 spots, but in the order they've been approved and without disappearing (I tend not to update recordings on the weekend either, just no reason too)

The 6th on down could be things that were approved within the last 24 hours in reverse order as proposed, that'd keep the site fresh without giving the weight too heavily to the trivia stuff, but at the same time still showcasing them fairly and giving them more light than they currently get.

Check for new replies or respond here...