inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Layout changes coming up - say goodbye to the CD case design

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/26/10 at 1:30 pm

I need to change up the ads on the site, shifting towards one more ad unit, and bigger ones.  Sadly that's the way the web has been trending for the past few years and the ad sizes I run currently are too small for most advertisers.

To make life easier, I'm going to remove the space wasted by the CD case design.  It also allows me to increase the album parody cover sizes on the right navigation bar (that area will be getting larger).

The first pass will be kind of plain until I get some time to work on it further.  The 70s/80s/90s sites will follow in a month or so.

So if you like the current design, grab a screen shot because it won't be with us much longer.

I've attached a ROUGH look at the new design... might kill the green background on the main body text too...

Subject: Re: Layout changes coming up - say goodbye to the CD case design

Written By: Rex on 02/27/10 at 10:32 am

Thanks for the advance notice.  I support website redesigns (major or minor) every year or so anyway, just to keep the visitors interested, but if it can get you more ad revenue, then even better.  Also FWIW, I think it would look better to kill the green background as you mentioned.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/27/10 at 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advance notice.  I support website redesigns (major or minor) every year or so anyway, just to keep the visitors interested, but if it can get you more ad revenue, then even better.  Also FWIW, I think it would look better to kill the green background as you mentioned.

yeah, it was there to blend in with the CD case, but it's not needed with the redesign  Almost every site out there tends to just do black text on white backgrounds anyways.

Probably won't do it this weekend since I'm still trying to finish an unrelated project.  Maybe during the week though.

Written By: Mountain Ashley on 02/28/10 at 3:52 am

Could this be connected with why access to amiright.com has been coming and going tonight?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/28/10 at 11:10 pm

Could this be connected with why access to amiright.com has been coming and going tonight?

no.  I didn't get to do any work on the site this weekend...

Written By: Jason on 03/01/10 at 8:05 am

I really like the existing design of the site. Whatever happened to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it?'

Anyway Im curious to know what the new site will look like when its up and running.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/07/10 at 10:17 pm

here is the first mockup.  I'm not totally in love with this, and I suspect Monday evening will see further changes, but for the most part the layout will be similar.

http://www.amiright.com/index2010.shtml

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 03/08/10 at 7:06 pm

here is the first mockup.  I'm not totally in love with this, and I suspect Monday evening will see further changes, but for the most part the layout will be similar.

http://www.amiright.com/index2010.shtml

That one shows black-on-white for me, too, on Fx 3.6.

In general, I'm with Jason -- the old colors weren't broken. If you need more ad space, so be it, but the old background was very eye-easy.
I know of very few sites in b/w, unless they date from 1995. Actually, most are overdone with splashing colors and animations to try to get the attention of the ADD-generation.

I sometimes use "no style" and set my own for hideous black backgrounds with red font, etc. But the site was very eye-easy before.

I disagree with Rex. There is no need to redesign a site to "keep visitors interested". It keeps visitors confused. I don't come here to look at the pretty colors. I come to read and post songs and comments. *That* material changes frequently, and that is what keeps visitors coming back to see the latest -- the content, not the colors.

Written By: Rex on 03/08/10 at 7:11 pm

I disagree with Rex. There is no need to redesign a site to "keep visitors interested".

I bet you've never rearranged your furniture.  ;D ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/08/10 at 7:14 pm

That one shows black-on-white for me, too, on Fx 3.6.

In general, I'm with Jason -- the old colors weren't broken. If you need more ad space, so be it, but the old background was very eye-easy.
I know of very few sites in b/w, unless they date from 1995. Actually, most are overdone with splashing colors and animations to try to get the attention of the ADD-generation.

I sometimes use "no style" and set my own for hideous black backgrounds with red font, etc. But the site was very eye-easy before.

I disagree with Rex. There is no need to redesign a site to "keep visitors interested". It keeps visitors confused. I don't come here to look at the pretty colors. I come to read and post songs and comments. *That* material changes frequently, and that is what keeps visitors coming back to see the latest -- the content, not the colors.

it's not supposed to be black and white, it's definitely a setting issue in FF.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 03/08/10 at 7:31 pm

I bet you've never rearranged your furniture.  ;D ;D

I rearrange which people sit -- or lie -- on it. ;-) ;-)

Check for new replies or respond here...