inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trying to cure the backlog of misheard lyrics.

Written By: Jason on 03/01/10 at 8:16 am

Im aware there is a massive backlog of misheard lyrics that haven't been moderated yet. I tried to do some today, but I ended up deleting a lot that were either blatantly made up, or contained a lot of abusive language/swearwords.

Why do people get a kick out of submitting rude/abusive stuff to the site?

Subject: Re: Trying to cure the backlog of misheard lyrics.

Written By: karen on 03/01/10 at 11:06 am

little things please little minds

Written By: DJ Blaze on 03/03/10 at 8:56 pm

Im aware there is a massive backlog of misheard lyrics that haven't been moderated yet. I tried to do some today, but I ended up deleting a lot that were either blatantly made up, or contained a lot of abusive language/swearwords.

I have the same problem. I had to delete a ton of repeated submissions of a quote from the guy from My Chemical Romance. The quote was "Pumpkin peasy MFer."

Written By: karen on 03/04/10 at 7:25 am

I have the same problem. I had to delete a ton of repeated submissions of a quote from the guy from My Chemical Romance. The quote was "Pumpkin peasy MFer."

Repeating the quote but submitted by different people?  They just don't take the time out to check previous entries.

Repeatedly submitted by the same person might just be them not realising entries are pre-approved before appearing and submitting it again when it doesn't appear ont he site straightaway.

Written By: nally on 03/04/10 at 11:43 am

Repeatedly submitted by the same person might just be them not realising entries are pre-approved before appearing and submitting it again when it doesn't appear on the site straightaway.

I notice several of those in the archive. In fact, ever since I began reviewing the archive/making corrections to the entries already there, I've come across at least six or seven instances of the same misheard line in certain songs. A notable example is the line "But the kid is not my son" in Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" (spelled different ways by various submitters). I've come across numerous submissions of "The chair is not my son (or size)"; I guess the people don't bother to check to see that it's already in the system. ::)

Written By: karen on 03/05/10 at 6:41 am

I notice several of those in the archive. In fact, ever since I began reviewing the archive/making corrections to the entries already there, I've come across at least six or seven instances of the same misheard line in certain songs. A notable example is the line "But the kid is not my son" in Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" (spelled different ways by various submitters). I've come across numerous submissions of "The chair is not my son (or size)"; I guess the people don't bother to check to see that it's already in the system. ::)

If I know the misheard lyric is in the system already I delete the submission.  On 'popular' misheard songs such as Blinded by the Light I often check through the list to see if someone has a new one to add.

Is there anyway of checking the date of the misheard lyrics, then you could delete the newer submissions?

Written By: nally on 03/05/10 at 1:26 pm

If I know the misheard lyric is in the system already I delete the submission.  On 'popular' misheard songs such as Blinded by the Light I often check through the list to see if someone has a new one to add.

Is there anyway of checking the date of the misheard lyrics, then you could delete the newer submissions?

I go by the ID numbers of the ones that are already there. (You can see them when you go to make a correction for one, or hover the mouse pointer above the correction/suggestion links.) The lower-numbered ones are the oldest submissions.

For example, on Joe Jackson, there are two entries for the song "Breaking Us In Two." The first one is numbered 050217 and the second one is 051561. Both of them can stay, since they are two different mishearings.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/07/10 at 6:03 pm

This thread made me think of a couple things.

http://www.amiright.com/real/dirtyartist/nirvana.shtml

Someone had posted what they thought were the lyrics to Blew(They thought all the lyrics were that dirty). I ended up posting the actual lyrics.(Although I admitted the first line sounded suggestive). I just thought it was kinda funny for some reason.

Also:

http://www.amiright.com/real/inappartist/nirvana.shtml

The second dude's inappropriate lyrics to Lithium, is just hilarious(willy's good). I would actually tell him that he misheard them, but I felt that it wasn't too important.(I don't need to throw around the Nirvana trivia like that)

:D

Anyway, sorry for the nonsensical(sort of) post. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Written By: nally on 03/08/10 at 1:43 pm

Just came across one of the freshest entries:

I don't know who did the song's, "Amadeus"
Misheard Lyrics:
I swear for years I thought the chorus was "hot potatoes, hot potatoes, hot potatoes, hot potatoes, hot potatoes........"
Original Lyrics:
Amadeus, Amadeus, etc. etc

"I don't know who did this song"? First of all, the performer was Falco; if the person didn't know, they could've done their research. Second of all, "I swear for years I thought the chorus was" should not have been placed in the misheard field. I was going to correct this one with the appropriate performer name (Falco) and remove the comment and " marks, but I sent it for deletion instead because "hot potatoes" is already in the archive. (In fact it's been there for ages now.) The things that people submit to the site. ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/08/10 at 3:48 pm

I bumped off another 150 or so today...

I'm going to try and bring it down to an even number every day at work this week, 100+ or so a day... so if it goes up to 3440 waiting tomorrow afternoon, I'll knock it down to 3300. 

Check for new replies or respond here...