inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A totally-unreasonable suggestion, but will post it anyway...

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 03/16/10 at 4:03 am

Is it possible to have a parody comment-preview function, just like the parody-submission preview function? It's very hard to catch typos, etc. in the tiny little comment box, and one sees lots of typos. Or even posting a comment under the parody author's name instead of one's own. (*not* picking on anyone recently; I've done that myself.)  And a lot of commenters submitting a second comment to correct the first.

Having a WYSIWYG preview, on the eye-easy pastel background (thanks!!!), would eliminate a lot of these mistakes and corrective postings. I'm so grateful that I can preview before posting *here*! >wink<

I realize it's a jump in bandwidth usage, but most parody comments (unlike mine, lol) are just a line or two, or even just a few words. So even if there is an average of ten comments per parody, the total transmitted by all probably isn't much more than previewing a parody before submission. And comments can probably be fixed in far fewer previews than a lengthy parody.  So, maybe not so much additional bandwidth.

Hopefully, the same scripts and templates used for the parody preview could be modified quickly and easily to attach to the comment button.

Does anyone else support this?

If it's too major a task, or too expensive in bandwidth, OK.  Idea! Change the ads on each comment preview; then you're getting paid for the additional ad displays, which pays for the comment-preview bandwidth!  8) 8) 8)

Subject: Re: A totally-unreasonable suggestion, but will post it anyway...

Written By: DJ Blaze on 04/02/10 at 7:19 pm

Comment previews? I usually catch typos since my web browser underlines them in red. Cool idea, though. I do have 1 objection: people with dial-up will complain about one additional step to slow them down further. But I got hi-speed internet recently.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/25/10 at 5:25 pm

I do have 1 objection: people with dial-up will complain about one additional step to slow them down further.
No one would be *required* to preview their comments. Just an option, for us klutzes and absent-miinded.  :-[

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/25/10 at 10:02 pm

No one would be *required* to preview their comments. Just an option, for us klutzes and absent-miinded.  :-[

a lot of sites do that... like this one, a post and a preview.  I'm sure I could do it. Probably wouldn't take me long, I'll look into it.

Written By: WarrenBaker on 06/25/10 at 11:00 pm

a lot of sites do that... like this one, a post and a preview.  I'm sure I could do it. Probably wouldn't take me long, I'll look into it.

I'll second the TT suggestion. I always like to preview things before I post a comment, but being the half-blind, all thumbs, verbose klutz I am, the small box adds claustrophobia to the mix and all chaos breaks out. It's not pretty.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/26/10 at 3:55 am

I'll second the TT suggestion. I always like to preview things before I post a comment, but being the half-blind, all thumbs, verbose klutz I am, the small box adds claustrophobia to the mix and all chaos breaks out. It's not pretty.

Ditto here. Just last night, I totally screwed up a simple paragraph break into an unreadable mess, with no way to correct it. Guess I should probably stick to:

"Good job"
"Funny"
"Fives"

and "Thanks all" as the Universal Comment Reply.  :( ... but there  goes all our fun, Warren...

Written By: DJ Blaze on 06/26/10 at 8:40 pm

Oh, OK!

Check for new replies or respond here...