inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "confirm your vote" bar vs. missing votes

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/26/10 at 7:15 pm

I'm sure all of us have had the experience of receiving, say, eight very favorable comments, and only four votes. Of course, some folks don't want to vote, especially if it would be less than max, because they don't want to wound the author (I've survived them all, LOL) or mark their comment as insincere. And some just forget. (Been there, done that.)

But I think some percentage vote, then forget to click the "confirm" bar, if it's their first vote of the session. Especially because after voting, the page jumps to where the bar is waay at the top of the screen, in not-too-conspicuous black text on gray bg. (Been there, done that, too.)

A quick check showed, at least for those of us who use session cookies vs. permanent cookies, that you can browse pretty much anywhere on site, including WhatFreaks (portal only; didn't go inside), without the site setting a cookie. Seems to be set only upon submitting a parody or a comment. Looks like clicking "Leave a comment" sets the PHPSESSID, then clicking to vote sets the "pref" cookie. Voting before commenting sets only the pref cookie (with the user's IP -- oh, you clever dawg!  8)  ... so consistent Unabombers, with static IP at least, aren't so anonymous as they think  :P)

Bottom line: Didn't notice a change in the "pref" cookie after "confirming" vote, so what is the purpose of the "Press Here To Confirm" bar? If it's a chance to correct mis-clicks, then the vote should be shown as a preview -- 4-4-4? OMG, I meant to hit 5-5-5 -- like the suggestion to preview comments. But again, it doesn't show up on subsequent votes on other songs during the same session.

I had always assumed that the "Confirm", which (for moi, at least) shows up only on the first vote of any given browsing session (again, using session cookies only), was to set the "voting cookie". Apparently, that's not the case. So, could the confirm bar be eliminated, or does it serve some other purpose? TIA.

p. s. Very grateful for the Preview function here. Spell-check flags things like PHPSESSID, while not flagging missing or extra parentheses, mis-punctuation, and a lot of other typos -- most notoriously, those that are correct words in themselves.  :)

Subject: Re: The "confirm your vote" bar vs. missing votes

Written By: DJ Blaze on 06/26/10 at 8:38 pm

I'm sure all of us have had the experience of receiving, say, eight very favorable comments, and only four votes. Of course, some folks don't want to vote, especially if it would be less than max, because they don't want to wound the author (I've survived them all, LOL) or mark their comment as insincere. And some just forget. (Been there, done that.)

But I think some percentage vote, then forget to click the "confirm" bar, if it's their first vote of the session. Especially because after voting, the page jumps to where the bar is waay at the top of the screen, in not-too-conspicuous black text on gray bg. (Been there, done that, too.)

A quick check showed, at least for those of us who use session cookies vs. permanent cookies, that you can browse pretty much anywhere on site, including WhatFreaks (portal only; didn't go inside), without the site setting a cookie. Seems to be set only upon submitting a parody or a comment. Looks like clicking "Leave a comment" sets the PHPSESSID, then clicking to vote sets the "pref" cookie. Voting before commenting sets only the pref cookie (with the user's IP -- oh, you clever dawg!  8)  ... so consistent Unabombers, with static IP at least, aren't so anonymous as they think  :P)

Bottom line: Didn't notice a change in the "pref" cookie after "confirming" vote, so what is the purpose of the "Press Here To Confirm" bar? If it's a chance to correct mis-clicks, then the vote should be shown as a preview -- 4-4-4? OMG, I meant to hit 5-5-5 -- like the suggestion to preview comments. But again, it doesn't show up on subsequent votes on other songs during the same session.

I had always assumed that the "Confirm", which (for moi, at least) shows up only on the first vote of any given browsing session (again, using session cookies only), was to set the "voting cookie". Apparently, that's not the case. So, could the confirm bar be eliminated, or does it serve some other purpose? TIA.

p. s. Very grateful for the Preview function here. Spell-check flags things like PHPSESSID, while not flagging missing or extra parentheses, mis-punctuation, and a lot of other typos -- most notoriously, those that are correct words in themselves.  :)

The confirm bar appears very rarely for me. I don't know why.

Subject: Re: The "confirm your vote" bar vs. missing votes

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/26/10 at 10:00 pm

The confirm bar appears very rarely for me. I don't know why.

Do you allow "permanent cookies"? (those that stay on your machine after you shut it off -- they'll stay for the next 30 years if not manually deleted). I'd guess that's why.
If you login here with the "forever" choice, that is almost surely how it knows you, so that you don't have to enter your creds each time.

Being security- and privacy-conscious (read, "paranoid"), I don't allow permanent cookies from *anywhere*. All cookies are dumped every time the browser is closed, which is frequently.
I do that at every site, so no offense intended to AIR, this site, or any other. No exceptions. It's a privacy and safety thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...