inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Malcolm Higgins, amIright's first author to reach 1000 parodies, has passed away

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/10 at 5:06 pm

I just received an email from one of Malcolm's daughters that he was in a car accident on July 7th from which he did not recover, and he was removed from life support July 14th.  I did a quick internet search to find the following article about his passing.

Full Story at YorkRegion

I didn't know Malcolm real well, but I know he loved the site and was a regular (and prolific!) contributor over the years.  I am going to greatly miss looking for his contributions in the submission queue.

I'm going to declare July 14th amIright's first true holiday and call it Malcolm Higgins day. 

Subject: Re: Malcolm Higgins, amIright's first author to reach 1000 parodies, has passed away

Written By: nally on 08/12/10 at 5:15 pm

Oh no!! Poor guy. :\'( :\'( :\'( Such horrible news. I remember lots of submissions from him over the years, ever since the early days of the site!

My thoughts are with his family.

I'm going to declare July 14th amIright's first true holiday and call it Malcolm Higgins day. 

Good idea. Maybe put that in the system Calendar for next year?

Subject: Re: Malcolm Higgins, amIright's first author to reach 1000 parodies, has passed away

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/12/10 at 5:20 pm

This was my favorite of Malcolm's:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/ericclapton23.shtml

RIP, Mr. Higgins.

Written By: jreuben on 08/12/10 at 5:30 pm

I really enjoyed Malcolm's work, and waking up to find 7 parodies in the same day.  He will be missed.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/10 at 5:55 pm

In honor of Malcolm's memory, I've changed the author page index to commemorate his reaching 1000 parodies on the site before anyone else.  Your parody count is now measured in Malcolms, every 1000 parodies is a Malcolm.

I'm pretty sure he reached 1000 first, I know it was close with him and William Tong for awhile.  I couldn't find the post where I announced it.  Even if it wasn't 1000 on amIright, it was definitely that many if you factored in the other parodies he did on the other site I used to run.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/12/10 at 6:14 pm

I just received an email from one of Malcolm's daughters that he was in a car accident on July 7th from which he did not recover, and he was removed from life support July 14th.  I did a quick internet search to find the following article about his passing.

Full Story at YorkRegion

I didn't know Malcolm real well, but I know he loved the site and was a regular (and prolific!) contributor over the years.  I am going to greatly miss looking for his contributions in the submission queue.

Oh my. . .that's truly sad--I am very sorry to here that.

Subject: Re: Malcolm Higgins, amIright's first author to reach 1000 parodies, has passed

Written By: kilgore523 on 08/12/10 at 6:18 pm

I'm very sorry to hear of Malcolm's passing. He was indeed a great contributor to the site, and although his political views were quite controversial and way different from most others on AIR including moi, I still liked and respected him for his talent and contributions. I didn't know he was a professional musician, that just raised my opinion of him a couple notches higher.

RIP, Malky. You'll be missed.

(Edit: Signature now includes "RIP Malcolm Higgins", and Chucky, you've still got karma coming once I get to 100 posts.  :))

Andria

Written By: lpg_unit on 08/12/10 at 6:43 pm

My condolences to him and his family. Malcom, wherever you are, you'll always be remembered.

Written By: wildcard on 08/12/10 at 8:39 pm

oh man

Written By: Matthias on 08/13/10 at 12:02 am

That's really sad, It's like losing a member of our family here on Amiright.

Written By: Rex on 08/13/10 at 6:19 am

RIP Malcolm

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/13/10 at 9:32 am

Wow...yeah, I kinda lost some of my respect for him when he went on that Obama-bashing run, but what a prolific comic talent he was.  :\'(

Send his family back our deepest regrets, if you feel it's appropriate.

Written By: philbo on 08/13/10 at 10:07 am

That's really sad, It's like losing a member of our family here on Amiright.

That's kind of how I was thinking about it...

In honor of Malcolm's memory, I've changed the author page index to commemorate his reaching 1000 parodies on the site before anyone else.  Your parody count is now measured in Malcolms, every 1000 parodies is a Malcolm.

So I'm at 933 milli-Malcolms at the moment.  Somehow that seems kind of fitting.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/13/10 at 10:56 am

That's kind of how I was thinking about it...
So I'm at 933 milli-Malcolms at the moment.  Somehow that seems kind of fitting.

He did enjoy trying to make the 1000 parody milestone first so he could see if it would break the author page index.  It did kinda not work for a day when he made it.  I think it put his name at the end or broke the alignment, can't remember what it was.  I knew it was coming but didn't bother to try and test for it, just so he could have that.

Written By: nally on 08/13/10 at 10:59 am

He did enjoy trying to make the 1000 parody milestone first so he could see if it would break the author page index.  It did kinda not work for a day when he made it.  I think it put his name at the end or broke the alignment, can't remember what it was.  I knew it was coming but didn't bother to try and test for it, just so he could have that.

I think I remember that it might've put his name at the end, since the parody count of each author was treated as a string rather than a numerical quantity. Sometime shortly after that, everyone else's parody count got leading zeroes as placeholders, so the bottom authors on the leaderboard started reading "0010".

Written By: Step-chan on 08/15/10 at 5:33 pm

This is a surprise. :-\\

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/15/10 at 7:13 pm

How could this happen? This was a shocker at the end of a great day. R.I.P. Malcolm, we'll miss you.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 08/16/10 at 6:50 pm

(Sigh!) After being on a long hiatus from AIR and I find out just now that Malcolm Higgins passed away!  :\'( :\'( :\'( This will be one of his parodies that will forever bring tears to my eyes!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/bobseger69.shtml

He had written a bunch of great parodies in the past and a long time contributor to the site. It's so sudden that he passed away like that. He will be greatly missed!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/16/10 at 10:24 pm

Didn't know MH that well, parody-wise or personally, but it's still a big blow to learn of his passing away. RIP and condolences to his family.

BTW, my dad says that measuring the parody-count in Malcolms is a very fitting way to remember him by. Just thought I'd mention that.

Written By: Mikey on 08/18/10 at 3:57 pm

Wow what a thing to come back and read.  RIP Malcolm, you were a God.

Written By: adagio on 08/19/10 at 9:26 am

How truly sad!!  My heart goes out to his family .

Malcolm was certainly looked up to.

Written By: EthanM on 08/20/10 at 1:25 pm

:\'(

Written By: Red Ant on 08/21/10 at 12:15 am

Malcolm was one of the first authors on the site that read and commented on my work when I came there some 5 1/2 years ago (gosh, that seems like forever). He wrote for himself, didn't care about the 1 bombs, and prolific is an understatement. I haven't been around much lately, but I will miss him. rest in peace, Malcolm

Ant

Written By: John Jenkins on 08/21/10 at 3:35 am

Very sad.  It sounds like he was a very individual with a lot of talents who should have had a lot more living to do.

His family will be in my prayers.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/23/10 at 2:57 pm

I can't believe I didn't see this until today.  I am sooo sad to hear it.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Malcolm Higgins, amIright's first author to reach 1000 parodies, has passed

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/24/10 at 3:29 am

Isn't it strange how everyone who hated you when you were alive suddenly loves you and misses you when you're dead?

Maybe the moral is to show, if not love, at least tolerance and respect for those with whom you disagree, *while they're still around to receive it". But I doubt it'll really change anything as far as the next controversial author with whom reader X disagrees. -- at least, until that author, too, is gone.

When Royce Miller passed away, my comment, along with condolences, was that I was glad that I'd written two tributes to her while she was still around to see them.
I wasn't much of a reader of Malk's, mostly because of overdosage: too many posted each day, in the race to the top with JAB. But my condolences to the family and loved ones.

The author rankings page might have been appropriate for a day, *with some explanation at the top of the listings*, for those, including moi, who haven't the time to follow this site or AIR regularly, much less post at AIR as much as they'd like. (I'm working on it! A couple more weeks ....) . Otherwise, my first thought was, "It isn't April Fool's Day; what's going on?" -- but figured it was either a joke, or that Malcolm had figured out how to hack the site. When I looked a week later, and it was still listed in millimalcs, I realized that there must be something here about it.

Newer readers and writers might not understand. Perhaps listing the real number, along with the Malc number, would honor him more by not confusing people. And listing the explanation immediately above the table headings.

I'm sorry that Royce Miller, who posted more than 500 songs, and on more than one topic (politics), didn't receive some similar honor (or maybe I missed it.)

Again, my condolences to all.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/24/10 at 7:11 am

My condolences to Malcolm's family and to his friends and fellow authors here on AmiRight.

A prolific writer was MH - yes, the subject matter was limited, but each to their own.

Being an Australian, I had the privilege of not having to care about the political ramifications of the lyrics of Malcolm's parodies.  I always considered myself lucky in that regard, as the left and right of politics in America is clearly something evokes very strong feelings in people.

That is not a criticism, simply an observation.  However, I felt that it stopped some people from seeing the parodies for what they were, whether or not the inferences were agreeable.

'Parodies'.

I shall miss Malcolm and his works.

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/24/10 at 3:24 pm

I heard about Malcolm last night from Alvin. To me, it was not only a shock which left me with a profound feeling of sadness, but in a sense I felt it was the passing of an era. Malcolm was one of the Old Guard, and most of those are gone now, having moved on to other things.

I had the pleasure of conversing with Malcolm quite frequently via email back in the day - it was he who accidentally started the 'are M&P guys or gals?' controversy and I will always remember him fondly for the fun he brought us with that, as well as for the best of his parodies - "A Few of My Favorite Kinks" come immediately to mind.

We had been trying to write new parodies and had been working on a comeback, but having Malcome gone now just makes one so much more aware of 'you can't go home again'  :\'(

RIP Malky. Your Hobbits loved you...

Written By: John Barry on 08/27/10 at 12:06 pm

Inattentive as I often am, I just noticed this sad news. I hope that Malcolm is in parody heaven continuing to write.

Full Story at YorkRegion

Written By: Alyshia Higgins on 08/27/10 at 2:53 pm

Hello everyone,

As Malcolm's eldest daughter, I wish to express my family's sincere gratitude for all of your condolences on the sudden passing of my father. He was certainly a kind, loving and colourful man.

We know not everyone agreed with our father's often overstated opinions and unique sense of humour, but we know he touched many, many lives. More than 400 people came to pay their respects a month ago to our dear dad, and countless more have called, emailed, and expressed their sympathies through forums like this one.

He loved writing parodies and would often show us his latest creations and the works of other contributors like yourselves. Music was his passion, and he loved nothing more than to spend a Saturday evening on his computer coming up with new parodies or teaching himself how to play another instrument.

Thank you again for your support and thoughts. It means the world to our family, and he will be dearly missed.

Kind regards,
Alyshia

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/13/10 at 8:06 pm

Oh, wow. I remember reading some of his parodies! Very surprising, and though I'm more than a bit late, my condolences on his passing.

Written By: seamermar on 09/26/10 at 4:53 pm

As a weird amIright's member I'm a bit sad from his loss.
Thousand parodies, something enough to be proud.
Now he's gone, but he bequeathed to us a great parody legacy,
I'm gonna please to read, learn and keep during the following years.

I learned from you and your work, plenty hours screwing words to please yourself along with a lot more.

In spite of all controversy humour is our common language, I took this ship some time ago to sail away and find new folks.
Now I have to say goodbye to some buddy who passed away.

Thanks Malcolm, your spirit is held in us beyond your land,
With all my heart,  Seamermar , a Spanish chap who've never been abroad except by these boards.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/28/10 at 8:18 am

RIP Malcolm

Check for new replies or respond here...